2023 Detroit Tigers Regular Season Discussion Thread

oblong

21 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Again, my thing is that he knows enough to adjust when a particular player isn't doing well or when a particular lineup configuration isn't working. There are a lot of managers out there you cannot say that about.

He isn't perfect, he does make mistakes, but the Tigers are still lucky to have him in the grand scheme of things.

I totally agree with your implication that Hinch’s match-up/mix-up/optimize the lineup stuff was not simply so he could look like a diabolical genius.

Edited by chasfh

4 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

I have no problem with Hinch as the manager.  I just don't get why every time the Tigers go on a winning streak, he is built up to be a genius.  The team does well when the the players do well.  

I think he has a real talent for BP management. He keeps guys on schedule, he normally stays ahead of the game on his sequencing, and he understands how to sequence guys to maximize their different looks. Sure, sometimes a guy blows up and messes up the plan, but in general I give Hinch a lot of credit on BP use. But that said, I still have a susupicion he messes with his hitters' heads too much and I can't escape the feeling that the guys that are beginning to come our of their funks are doing so because they are beginning to tune out all the 'advice'.

10 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

I think he has a real talent for BP management. He keeps guys on schedule, he normally stays ahead of the game on his sequencing, and he understands how to sequence guys to maximize their different looks. Sure, sometimes a guy blows up and messes up the plan, but in general I give Hinch a lot of credit on BP use. But that said, I still have a susupicion he messes with his hitters' heads too much and I can't escape the feeling that the guys that are beginning to come our of their funks are doing so because they are beginning to tune out all the 'advice'.

Hinch has a real talent for batting practice management? My, that doesn't sound like a very efficient use of his energies. 😉

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

He may be good at bullpen management.  That is one area where I think a manager can have an impact and the Tigers bullpen has been consistently good during his tenure.  The offense, on the other hand...

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

He may be good at bullpen management.  That is one area where I think a manager can have an impact and the Tigers bullpen has been consistently good during his tenure.  The offense, on the other hand...

... is a top ten offense by wRC+ during the past two weeks.

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

So, basically, what’s being derided as Hinch playing “chess” was moving players in and out of lineups and situations was apparently to figure out who could do what where, as he did the first several weeks of the season to a chorus of complaints, and when he’s found someone who could do a job consistently, he has stuck with them, such as Ibanez starting at third base three of the last four games.

Innnnnteresting …

Greene, Torkelson, and Baez all heating up at the same time probably contributed too.  

I do have one concern with the bullpen and his name is Jose Cisnero.  He has a pretty healthy 3.55 ERA, but a 6.78 FIP.  Hinch likes to use him in high leverage situations and one of these days he's going to implode.  

Edited by bobrob2004

1 minute ago, gehringer_2 said:

Schoop has had only 11 PA in May. Coincidence? I think not.

Part of the mixing and matching Hinch did in April to start arriving at the conclusions we all see today. He probably felt he had to give him one more chance to prove whether he could come back. Looks like we have our answer on that 100% now.

Here's an interesting stat, probably means nothing, but: in the eight games Schoop has been used as a sub, he is 4-for-13 with two doubles and a walk, which works out to a .308/.357/.462 line. Again, probably means nothing ... ? 🤷🏽‍♀️

3 minutes ago, bobrob2004 said:

I do have one concern with the bullpen and his name is Jose Cisnero.  He has a pretty healthy 3.55 ERA, but a 6.78 FIP.  Hinch likes to use him in high leverage situations and one of these days he's going to implode.  

Very similar relationship to last season when he had a 1.08 ERA against a 3.67 FIP. And that was when he was walking something like seven guys per nine.

But his ERA is still under league average! Quick, get the Phillies on the line before it's too late!

52 minutes ago, bobrob2004 said:

I could be wrong, but I think the only few times that Hinch has used Cisnero in high leverage situations is when the bullpen depth is kind of shallow for the game.  I'm still kind of shocked that Cisnero was retained and agree his ERA seems a bit of a mirage, but unfortunately he's a part of the bullpen and is going to be used.  The trick is to use him accordingly.

Cisnero peripherals concern me but I think Hinch,Fetter and Harris are smart people that are surely aware of his FIP and other widely available metrics so there must be some metric that they have that shows that his raw numbers aren't all luck or else I dont think they'd be using him like they do.

22 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

This has Aducci's fingerprints all over it. 

When Jim first got here he didn't even know about the DL.  He didn't know you could get paid the same amount for staying home and going to strip clubs.  As soon as he found out, bam, oblique injury,

Just now, Jim Cowan said:

When Jim first got here he didn't even know about the DL.  He didn't know you could get paid the same amount for staying home and going to strip clubs.  As soon as he found out, bam, oblique injury,

His angry drunk of a Dad did teach him well when it came to manipulating the DL, another personal favorite of his was to get "injured" whenever it looked like he was about to be sent down or a guy was returning from a rehab assignment, this way he could collect an MLB paycheck while he was "hurt" instead of having to report to the minors. 

28 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

His angry drunk of a Dad did teach him well when it came to manipulating the DL, another personal favorite of his was to get "injured" whenever it looked like he was about to be sent down or a guy was returning from a rehab assignment, this way he could collect an MLB paycheck while he was "hurt" instead of having to report to the minors. 

It's also no coincidence that Johnny Barbato was the last Tiger to pull this off:

• Like 1