2023 Detroit Tigers Regular Season Discussion Thread

oblong

As a viewer I like it especially during the week when I don't really do much in the evening. It's nice having the games being done around 9ish and then I still have time to watch one of my shows or two before bed. I also work 7-3pm and work close to home so it's not like getting home at 5:30 or 6 or whatever and having to rush to make dinner and do other things before the game comes on. If that were the case I may not like it as much. 

17 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

On the radio this morning Scott Harris said they were bringing someone in today, but it was NOT a call up from the Minors. 

Hmm, just throwing a dart out there. Maybe someone like Noah Syndergaard might be a player who may feel we could help him get better - this is what the Tigers like to advocate. Maybe similar to Carson Kelly, where for not only this year but next year 'could' be a part of a deal.

He was also pretty close to MLorenzen while they were both playing for Los Angeles.

Again, just a dart throw, lol. Of course there has been other players from teams recently DFA, released, etc.

18 hours ago, oblong said:

That’s the point.  Make you get your beer inside. And eat. 

If they were a normal organization, they’d let you bring in sandwiches and chips and a water. But they are apparently only one of two organizations who no longer allow that.

https://thetakeout.com/which-baseball-stadiums-let-you-bring-your-own-food-1848769186

3 hours ago, chasfh said:

If they were a normal organization, they’d let you bring in sandwiches and chips and a water. But they are apparently only one of two organizations who no longer allow that.

https://thetakeout.com/which-baseball-stadiums-let-you-bring-your-own-food-1848769186

Back in the day, 2006-2014 era, there was a couple near us that always brought in leftover pizza in Tupperware containers… along with their backpacks.  

Tork in a funk as well, 2 for his last 25 with no XBH and of course all the errors.

Par for the course for him though, anytime he starts to mash and get you to think he is finally breaking out he goes on a huge slump and basically ends up to where he was before.

I was hoping this past breakout would be different but so far it looks like more of the same. 

18 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Tork in a funk as well, 2 for his last 25 with no XBH and of course all the errors.

Par for the course for him though, anytime he starts to mash and get you to think he is finally breaking out he goes on a huge slump and basically ends up to where he was before.

I was hoping this past breakout would be different but so far it looks like more of the same. 

His first two years have been a lot like Tony Clark, but Clark was a year older.  Clark followed up with 5 seasons with an OPS+ of 120 or better.  I'd be reasonably happy with that except I would hope it was 7-8 years rather than just 5.

Paul Konerko, to which Torkelson is often compared, also started slow and had his best years in his late 20s and 30s.  

Since it now costs nothing more than the minimum, I could see a contender making a claim and kicking his tires for a couple of outings to see whether he could help. His underlying numbers plus his strong first half suggests there might be something still there for some team with a hole in the middle of their pen, like Texas or Houston or Minnesota.

14 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Since it now costs nothing more than the minimum, I could see a contender making a claim and kicking his tires for a couple of outings to see whether he could help. His underlying numbers plus his strong first half suggests there might be something still there for some team with a hole in the middle of their pen, like Texas or Houston or Minnesota.

A claim on waivers means they pick up the rest of his salary, which isn't much. If he goes unclaimed, they don't have to outright or release him.

14 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

A claim on waivers means they pick up the rest of his salary, which isn't much. If he goes unclaimed, they don't have to outright or release him.

Are these irrevocable waivers or can they pull him back and try to swing a deal?

No more waiver deals. Those have been gone for a few years. Those used to have revocable waivers where you would put your whole team on waivers and just pull then back if claimed. Now, if one of these players is claimed, the contract and player go to the claimed team. But teams are under no obligation to release or outright a player if they clear waivers. They can just keep them; they are just securing waivers. It is really a way to clear some salary and give players a chance to maybe go to a contender.