SCOTUS and whatnot

pfife

13 hours ago, pfife said:

I wonder if Alito is gonna vote to give trump presidential immunity 

As long as Alito can figure out a way to frame it as Trump and only Trump, and anyone else Trump appoints to succeed him.

This is an unacceptable answer

If we can't trust these people to tell the truth or behave with the bare minimum ethical requirements imposed on junior US Government employees and contractors, why are they in this lifetime appointment? 

21 minutes ago, romad1 said:

this is a PROBLEM

Mike Johnson is clearly the latest to take on the role of Trump's little bitch.  How many days does it take for Trump to totally humiliate him and then throw him under the bus when he's no longer useful?  

8 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

Mike Johnson is clearly the latest to take on the role of Trump's little bitch.  How many days does it take for Trump to totally humiliate him and then throw him under the bus when he's no longer useful?  

Sometime between the election and Day One if he is elected

3 hours ago, romad1 said:

this is a PROBLEM

It’s basically a “they did it to us, now we’ll do it to them 10x over” mentality, and a basic admission that they will use the machinery of the government, paid for with our taxes, to pursue their political agendas strictly for their own gain and to no one else’s benefit. If that’s not the textbook definition of corruption, then there’s no such thing as corruption. 

18 hours ago, RatkoVarda said:

when the loan on his "humble" $300,000 RV was paid off, he did not report that as income, so that's tax evasion if anyone cares, and i guess no one does

So preposterous.   

Google tells me Scotus annual salary is 181k (which is way too much for most of them) so that's  approximately 1.66 times his annual salary he didn't pay any taxes on.  

as the great philosopher mel brooks taught us:

55vk77.jpg

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, pfife said:

approximately 1.66 times his annual salary he didn't pay any taxes on.  

Does the IRS still pay a 20% bounty if you turn in a tax evader? Sure it's been all over the media, but do you suppose anyone has formally dropped the dime on Ol'  Clarence? Hmmm....

Edited by gehringer_2

On 6/8/2024 at 7:49 AM, pfife said:

So preposterous.   

Google tells me Scotus annual salary is 181k (which is way too much for most of them) so that's  approximately 1.66 times his annual salary he didn't pay any taxes on.  

as the great philosopher mel brooks taught us:

55vk77.jpg

The amount of people that got this Halloween costume I spent double digit hours on putting together a couple years ago...

11 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

The amount of people that got this Halloween costume I spent double digit hours on putting together a couple years ago...

Shame you spent all that time and still looked like the piss boy.  

• Haha 1

Courtesy of the Department of Full Disclosure, seems that Lauren Windsor, an acknowledged liberal documentarian, posed to question to Alito at a function while basically pretending to be a conservative Christian, that is, in a bid to fool Alito into showing his hand, and I don’t like the dishonesty of that, even though it doesn’t mitigate the awfulness of what he said.

OTOH, Windsor took the same tack with John Robert’s but he refused to take the bait and claim that the US is a conservative Christian nation, replying that it’s not up to the lawyers to enforce morality, so good on him. 

you know what the complete comedy in all this cultural warfare is? It's upper class liberals that live the most morally 'conservative' lifestyle of any segment of American society. They have the most marriages, the fewest children out of wedlock, the highest proportion of stable two parent households. The right in American has their head so far up their asses they don't understand the difference between being free to do something and forcing other people to do something. Liberals are completely happy with conventional lifestyles, we don't denigrate them at all, all we want to do is make room for people to be free to do it differently if that is their choice. The right just can't figure out this simple equation. Wanting to allow people to be free is just that, and nothing more than that. But of course, "that" is a lot.  The Christian Right's problem (as well as the RCC ) is that they want the state to mandate people to do what they can't persuade people to do because their doctrine is just too unappealing. They call themselves "Evangelist" after the Greek for "Good Tidings" but their "news" just isn't so good and when people see it and don't like it, they want  to be entitled to police power to enforce it.

Edited by gehringer_2
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Honestly, I see pitchbot in light of the NYT's cranky behavior toward Biden as less funny anymore.  NYT may be the newspaper of the NYC literate class but its also a mouthpiece for the oligarchy that desperately wants to get those Trump era tax breaks and benefits for landlords reasserted.