SCOTUS and whatnot

pfife

34 minutes ago, CMRivdogs said:

We would have inflation no matter who was in office. Once things opened up. Real estate costs for example went way up. In many areas inventory is at an all time low. Meanwhile building costs went through the roof because of restrictions pre 1/20/21. The supply chain was also a mess and just now getting back to close to normal.

If Zillow is to be believed, my home (purchased six years ago) has doubled over my purchase price. About 40% of which is accounted for in the past year.

Some of that is supply chain, but a lot of is simple supply and demand.... too many people looking, not enough houses being built or listed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mtutiger said:

To be fair, my experience with Illinois roads is that they aren't much better... at least outside of the ones that ISTHA owns (that, of course, you have to pay for the luxury of driving on)

illinois roads are better but still suck.  its the weather and the politicians' refusal to pay for road repair instead of sending money to their favorite construction companies and pension payments.

it was fun to be back in detroit and see some new stuff that wasnt there before.  plus people in detroit are just nicer than people in chicago.  

3 hours ago, CMRivdogs said:

We would have inflation no matter who was in office. Once things opened up. Real estate costs for example went way up. In many areas inventory is at an all time low. Meanwhile building costs went through the roof because of restrictions pre 1/20/21. The supply chain was also a mess and just now getting back to close to normal.

We were looking at building a new house.  If the price wasn't bad enough the builder said it would take 12 to 18 months to complete because of shortages.

the shortages existed before inflation though.  lumber and stuff.

trying to blame this on just biden or trump is foolish.  the one criticism i have of biden is that the extra money available has contributed to inflation, imo.  its not the only cause of it, and the covid supply shortages are by far the biggest cause, but the low fed rate combined with throwing money at people contributed to price changes.  

we were - and still are - in a supply shortage.  you dont deal with a supply shortage by increasing demand. 

once the republicans take over after the mid terms there are going to be some serious brakes put on the economy in the name of "fiscal prudence" and all that BS.  then if they win the presidency in 2024 fiscal prudence will all go out the window and the money machine will go whirrrrrrr again.

1 hour ago, buddha said:

the shortages existed before inflation though.  lumber and stuff.

trying to blame this on just biden or trump is foolish.  the one criticism i have of biden is that the extra money available has contributed to inflation, imo. 

I agree that the fiscal stimulus the the Dems came in with no doubt helped drive inflation, but my complaint is that the Fed should have been cutting back at the same time so that the stimulus transitioned from monetary to fiscal. There was no reason for the Fed to remain so expansionary once the Fed government shifted into spend mode. It been discussed here before that given the choice, fiscal stimulus is preferable to monetary stimulus on employment and equity grounds anyway. 

18 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

I agree that the fiscal stimulus the the Dems came in with no doubt helped drive inflation, but my complaint is that the Fed should have been cutting back at the same time so that the stimulus transitioned from monetary to fiscal. There was no reason for the Fed to remain so expansionary once the Fed government shifted into spend mode. It been discussed here before that given the choice, fiscal stimulus is preferable to monetary stimulus on employment and equity grounds anyway. 

the fed moved too late.  now its too late.

• 2 weeks later...

1) lets wait and see what is actually written and agreed on by 5 justices;

2) if so, it will be the biggest help the democrats have had for the mid terms in a long time.  i know there are all sorts of polls out there that say abortion is low on people's list of important issues, but that's because people dont think about roe being overturned.  if it is, that will sharpen people's minds and motivate liberals in an election cycle in which they were appearing extremely unmotivated;

3) its a good time to stay off twitter.

4 minutes ago, buddha said:

1) lets wait and see what is actually written and agreed on by 5 justices;

2) if so, it will be the biggest help the democrats have had for the mid terms in a long time.  i know there are all sorts of polls out there that say abortion is low on people's list of important issues, but that's because people dont think about roe being overturned.  if it is, that will sharpen people's minds and motivate liberals in an election cycle in which they were appearing extremely unmotivated;

3) its a good time to stay off twitter.

You are pretty consistently more optimistic about this court than I think is merited, but if it's not a flat out full reversal I'll be glad to give you your props.  :classic_wink:

and not that it will matter to the price of tea in China but I'll be curious where the Chief ends up.

Edited by gehringer_2

3 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

Yeah, the next few months will be a good time to stay offline.

I don't think most of us here are going to do that!  Social media is really about who you follow though.  It's not hard to stay away from unreasonable people.  Also, stay away from the "trending" click bait.  It's never a good idea to click on that stuff.