SCOTUS and whatnot

pfife

30 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

It's not even that there's a lack of solidarity, the majority of the country didn't want this to happen.... it's just that one side of the issue is far more united (and issue driven) than the other. 

Put another way, there are far more people who vote purely on conservative culture issues than liberal ones.

I hate single issue voting as much as the next guy, but that's probably what it takes to actually match or exceed the intensity of the other side of this issue. Sad to say, but it's the reality.

My larger point would be that in absolute truth, abortion is not a 'womens' issue in the US.  It remains a conservative/liberal issue. Conservative women vote GOP just as strongly as conservative men; abortion  is not an issue that peels them away from the GOP as women. It is an issue that brings them to the GOP because conservative women oppose abortion, just like the woman on the SCOTUS that just voted to end access to it.

Just arguing for clarity of thought here. It's been a political miscalculation that "women" should potentially be a political swing force on the issue. The disconnect is that the 'women's' movement as understood in the US and MSM, is really the 'liberal women's' movement and it does not actually represent many women beyond the Venn diagram of the existing Democratic party, thus is not particularly politically relevant beyond its power within the Democratic party. That is not nothing, but it does mean that it is not an independent source of political weight beyond that of the existing Democratic party.

Edited by gehringer_2

2 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Women don't really need to go out of state to go to a clinic for a surgical abortion procedure, right? Over half of abortions are by medication, some of which can be mail-ordered, so really, it's about getting a hold of the medication, isn't it?

That's an abortion.   It doesn't matter if it's by doctor or drug, they are making it illegal.     Doesn't matter in some states if the woman is raped, they have to have the baby.  

5 minutes ago, smr-nj said:

Until they pass laws that can/will identify prescription holders and then prosecute them for murder. 
Far-fetched?

You know it isn’t 

Louisiana did. Not sure if it was signed into law yet. Their governor is a Democrat but I think they have a large enough majority to override a veto. 

. The pills will go black-market, I presume.

Right. Throughout history there has been law, and there has been practical enforcement capacity.  Pharmaceutical abortion will be at least as hard to effectively control as any other illicit drug, and we see how much success we have with that.

Edited by gehringer_2

4 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

That's an abortion.   It doesn't matter if it's by doctor or drug, they are making it illegal.     Doesn't matter in some states if the woman is raped, they have to have the baby.  

I know it's illegal. But for all the worries about poor and middle-class women having to risk dying on an illegal back-alley abortion table or—and that will happen in some cases—an illegal abortion pill might be one way to mitigate that risk. That is one difference between now and pre-Roe.

This is all so horrible to contemplate.

3 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I know it isn't. The pills will go black-market, I presume.

And we've seen what happens when opioids went black market.   That is a very dangerous option.  You have no idea what you are really buying or what's in it.  

This isn't with just abortion medications, this will be with "The Pill" in certain states too,  you know they'll go after that. 

Nobody's going to have sex for fun in this Christian land !

Doesn't effect me personally, I am a 57 year old white male, the whole game is rigged in my favor.    But I do give a shit about other people's rights.    And soon enough, something my liberal white ass likes will be taken away.   I know some of you think that legal weed in this country is safe,  it is not.  It is still not federally legal and you get someone like DeSantis in there, he'll shut it all down.  

1 minute ago, smr-nj said:

Seems you’ve missed MY point, too.

IDK. I don't disagree with anything in your post.

In truth I find the position of conservative women in America perplexing, but then again, at this point I see the position of all conservatives in America as perplexing.

5 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Doesn't effect me personally, I am a 57 year old white male, the whole game is rigged in my favor.    But I do give a shit about other people's rights.    And soon enough, something my liberal white ass likes will be taken away.   I know some of you think that legal weed in this country is safe,  it is not.  It is still not federally legal and you get someone like DeSantis in there, he'll shut it all down.  

Legal weed is definitely not safe, and I too believe it stands a good chance of going away.

1 minute ago, gehringer_2 said:

IDK. I don't disagree with anything in your post.

In truth I find the position of conservative women in America perplexing, but then again, at this point I see the position of all conservatives in America as perplexing.

Getting pregnant will definitely end up being considered the woman's or the girl's fault, all because they failed to simply Just Say No.

Next up:  Let's cut funding for unwed mothers !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You know, the unwed mothers that can't work because they can't afford child care while the Dad who is out of the picture and not paying for a thing or raising the child is off fucking someone else?    

Yeah, THOSE horrible mothers. 

Edited by Motor City Sonics

Btw, this Texas SD, is pretty much saying, with this new dress code, that girls (if they wear dresses/skirts/skirts) are responsible for whatever bad things might happen to them. 
That.is.the.message.

=========================

“Forney ISD has banned all hooded clothing across its 18 schools along with dresses and skirts among its older students.

The district, located about 25 miles east of Dallas, will also prohibit t-shirts and denim pants, among other specifications for next school year. Skirts can only be worn by students in prekindergarten through fourth grade.”
========================

btw, on what f’ing alternate universe is a 4th grader (9-10 yrs old) an “OLDER” student???? 

Again. Girls fault.