SCOTUS and whatnot

pfife

• 2 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, oblong said:

I'm confused about why #1 is about the SC?  Is he proposing a specific bill to address that?  I don't see that as SC reform though.

I think that's it in relation to the Supreme Court ruling. It would take away the ambiguity of whether or not the "crime" would be considered an "official act". Or at least that's my take. 

34 minutes ago, CMRivdogs said:

I think that's it in relation to the Supreme Court ruling. It would take away the ambiguity of whether or not the "crime" would be considered an "official act". Or at least that's my take. 

right - and It's as much a political shot across the bow that the other branches don't necessarily roll over to an over active court's authority to create definitions. If Congress defines 'official act' in law, then it seems they effectively overrule the Court's discretion on the matter. 

Edited by gehringer_2

28 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

right - and It's as much a political shot across the bow that the other branches don't necessarily roll over to an over active court's authority to create definitions. If Congress defines 'official act' in law, then it seems they effectively overrule the Court's discretion on the matter. 

A nothing burger that will go nowhere. But, he can have it as his legacy the he tried or something.

but I still don't get why Kyle classified it as SC reform.  It's Executive Reform, as in, defining procedures and safeguards for the Executive Branch.  It doesn't affect the SC other than address/clarify one of their rulings, but that's not what I would call Reform.

1 hour ago, oblong said:

but I still don't get why Kyle classified it as SC reform.  It's Executive Reform, as in, defining procedures and safeguards for the Executive Branch.  It doesn't affect the SC other than address/clarify one of their rulings, but that's not what I would call Reform.

You are correct, but it's in the line of undoing, reversing, or if you like 'reforming' something the SCOTUS did, so I guess some media consultant decided it's close enough to bundle it together if it's all going in one press release.....:classic_dry: