SCOTUS and whatnot

pfife

1 minute ago, Motown Bombers said:

I did vote for Bernie Sanders. When he lost I voted for Hillary. I didn't pout like an entitled brat because my guy lost. 

Maybe they didn't like Clinton and didn't think she offered anything, so they weren't interested.  Maybe they don't care about the democraic party.  It's their right.  If Sanders didn't  get them excited, they probably wouldn't have voted in the primaries either.  

Just now, Tiger337 said:

Maybe they didn't like Clinton and didn't think she offered anything, so they weren't interested.  Maybe they don't care about the democraic party.  It's their right.  If Sanders didn't  get them excited, they probably wouldn't have voted in the primaries either.  

Like I said, I hope they're happy with this outcome. 

5 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Also throws shade on Obergefell and Lawrence v. Texas.

yep. I thought they would allow school prayer first, but it looks like getting rid of gay marriage is the next thing they will do

edit: the praying coach bvllshit case may give them a chance to continue to back door school prayer some more this term

Edited by RatkoVarda

12 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

I'll go out on a limb and say every justice that ruled in favor of overturning Roe was appointed by a president that didn't win the popular vote with the exception of Thomas. 

Roberts and Alito were elected in Dubya's second term, which he won the popular vote. 

4 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

Roberts and Alito were elected in Dubya's second term, which he won the popular vote. 

Had W not won the first term, in which he lost the popular vote, it's probably Gore picking those justices. 

Big thanks to those handful of people who just had to vote for Nader. 

2 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Had W not won the first term, in which he lost the popular vote, it's probably Gore picking those justices. 

Big thanks to those handful of people who just had to vote for Nader. 

Rehnquist's backfill, yes. But SDO would have waited for a Republican. And do you think Obama emerges if Gore won? The butterfly effect gets pretty large to the point where this all blows up.

Bottom line: it is a fact that Alito and Roberts were appointed by a President who won the popular vote. Anybody who says otherwise is repeating crap they heard on MSNBC.

• Like 1

I love when we on the left get told we're being hyperbolic about how radicalized the Republicans and Christian right are in America. Abortion is done for at least a decade in America. Contraception, teaching sex ed, and marriage equality will be next. This is Republicans America. Obergafell, Griswold, Casey will all be done soon.

Edited by Mr.TaterSalad
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

Rehnquist's backfill, yes. But SDO would have waited for a Republican. And do you think Obama emerges if Gore won? The butterfly effect gets pretty large to the point where this all blows up.

Bottom line: it is a fact that Alito and Roberts were appointed by a President who won the popular vote. Anybody who says otherwise is repeating crap they heard on MSNBC.

The bottom line is Alito and Roberts were appointed by a president who did lose the popular vote. Had Bush not won his first term in which he did not win the popular vote, he wouldn't have been able to appoint Alito. I'll go out on a limb and say Roberts sides with the 3 liberals. 

Start giving a shit about local elections. The GOP has run roughshod there for decades. Seriously, how much money was donated to McConnell and Graham's opponents in 2020 that could have been donated to help pick up countless state and local election seats that could head off the laws that will come from this.

• Thanks 1

What I would say on the politics is that I've come to believe on abortion is that support for it tends to sit on sort of a bell curve: people tend to be somewhere in the middle in terms of legality up to a certain period of time...  people tend not to want it totally banned, but maybe not available up until birth. 16-20 weeks or so would maybe be the median.

This decision is down at the far right wing of the bell curve. And if the numbers from Texas below are accurate, Roe v. Wade repeal would be wildly unpopular nationwide.

But we will see what the court does. What it means for the elections, I don't know.

3 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

Start giving a shit about local elections. The GOP has run roughshod there for decades. Seriously, how much money was donated to McConnell and Graham's opponents in 2020 that could have been donated to help pick up countless state and local election seats that could head off the laws that will come from this.

It really highlights the importance of State races as well. Particularly in PA, MI, WI and others with Dem Govs coming up this cycle.