SCOTUS and whatnot

pfife

2 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

And that's when McConnell will get rid of it.

See, I can both sides too. 

of course!  because its not about principal with democrats or republicans, its about whose ox is being gored.  im glad you see it too.

14 minutes ago, pfife said:

Yes if you really care about women's rights you should eagerly extinguish the latest winger manufactroversy.

I'm not even sure how much voters actually care about the manufactroversy, let alone whether it has any salience to those who may be angered by a Roe repeal.

1 minute ago, gehringer_2 said:

The day that the men passing anti-abortion bills actually care more about babies than women will be a cold one in hell my friend.

you're a man, right?  do you care about babies?  or do you cop out and say "well, that's a woman's choice"?

and the polling on abortion is remarkably consistent between men and women.  most americans - men and women - are in favor of keeping abortion legal in the first trimester.  the vast vast vast majority of both men and women believe abortion should not be legal in the second or - god forbid - third trimester unless there is a health issue for the mother or baby.

the idea that this is just men telling women what to do or think is a media trope.  this isnt 1950.  women agree with men on the issue.

1 minute ago, Motown Bombers said:

What principal is there when a minority party controls the government? 

look brother, youre barking up the wrong tree.  i hate the filibuster and think they should get rid of it for that very reason!

but what politicians say about it depends on which day of the week it is, not on some principal.

9 minutes ago, buddha said:

what about the babies?  ah who cares, kill em.

Where do you stand on this issue? 

I honestly cannot recall, but the above sentiment would probably be lodged by the furthest extreme toward those who are in the middle of the issue 

2 minutes ago, buddha said:

you're a man, right?  do you care about babies?  or do you cop out and say "well, that's a woman's choice"?

and the polling on abortion is remarkably consistent between men and women.  most americans - men and women - are in favor of keeping abortion legal in the first trimester.  the vast vast vast majority of both men and women believe abortion should not be legal in the second or - god forbid - third trimester unless there is a health issue for the mother or baby.

the idea that this is just men telling women what to do or think is a media trope.  this isnt 1950.  women agree with men on the issue.

Except states are rushing to ban it at 6 weeks before women even know they are pregnant. Overturning Roe allows them to do it. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, mtutiger said:

I'm not even sure how much voters actually care about the manufactroversy, let alone whether it has any salience to those who may be angered by a Roe repeal.

most americans are not on twitter and dont care.

i'll be interested to see if this motivates independent women to vote democrat.  i think it will motivate democratic voters to get out and vote, but will it override independents in a year that is stacked against the democrats?  dunno.

however, this is a gift to the democrats in fundraising and enthusiasm, cause with the country going into inflation/off year election/ unpopular president, they needed some help.

3 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Where do you stand on this issue? 

I honestly cannot recall, but the above sentiment would probably be lodged by the furthest extreme toward those who are in the middle of the issue 

i think abortion is immoral, but shouldnt be illegal.  i would make abortion illegal after 20 weeks.  maybe even before 20 weeks, maybe 16.  

3 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Why is it the pro-life state with some of the toughest abortion laws to protect the sanctity of life is also the state that executes the most people in the country? 

why is it that states that want to let murderers live think its ok to carve out exceptions in criminal law to make it legal to execute innocent babies?

we can make hyperbolic statements on all sides.  

suffice to say, abortion is a difficult and nuanced issue.

Edited by buddha

14 minutes ago, buddha said:

what about the babies?  ah who cares, kill em.

They don't care about the "babies".  To them women who get abortions are sluts who dare to have sex outside of marriage.  Rape victims had it coming by wearing a skirt and black bra.  Fuck the religious right. They are evil.  All of them.  They only care about "babies" as a tool to gain political power.  I know this is just a game to you but real people are going to get hurt.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Why is it the pro-life state with some of the toughest abortion laws to protect the sanctity of life is also the state that executes the most people in the country? 

because the death penalty was in the Old Testament.

and it hurts blacks but we won't say that out loud.

Just now, oblong said:

They don't care about the "babies".  To them women who get abortions are sluts who dare to have sex outside of marriage.  Rape victims had it coming by wearing a skirt and black bra.  Fuck the religious right. They are evil.  All of them.  They only care about "babies" as a tool to gain political power.  I know this is just a game to you but real people are going to get hurt.

its a "game to me" but not to you?  ok oblong.  i think abortion is completely immoral and is killing a human being.  it has nothing tondo with sex or rape or controlling women's bodies.

the idea that everyone who thinks abortion should be illegal is some sort of religious nut job is a fanciful trope.  

2 minutes ago, buddha said:

why is it that states that want to let murderers live think its ok to carve out exceptions in criminal law to make it legal to execute innocent babies?

we can make hyperbolic statements on all sides.  

suffice to say, abortion is a difficult and nuanced issue.

There is nothing hyperbolic about what I said. Texas executes more people than any other state in the country. They also have one of the strictest abortion laws in the country. Those are facts. 

6 minutes ago, buddha said:

i think abortion is immoral, but shouldnt be illegal.  i would make abortion illegal after 20 weeks.  maybe even before 20 weeks, maybe 16.  

I've been compared to Hitler in a past debate for holding a position similar to yours fwiw

21 minutes ago, oblong said:

because the death penalty was in the Old Testament.

and it hurts blacks but we won't say that out loud.

It's really about time for Texas to ban cotton/poly blend fabrics, they're prohibited in the OT as well. Slackers.

Edited by gehringer_2

Just now, Tigeraholic1 said:

I am told they have no rights. They are tissue, blobs etc.....At least thats the narrative.

they're "embryos" and "fetuses" because such scientific language makes people feel better about what is actually occuring.  

its a medical procedure, its not actually killing a living thing.