SCOTUS and whatnot

pfife

3 minutes ago, buddha said:

because there wasnt a masking issue last year?

dream on. :classic_biggrin:

Regardless of what the intent was and which side leaked it, the one overwhelming practical result is that it just added a couple of months to the Dems prime fund raising calendar.

Edited by gehringer_2

19 minutes ago, sabretooth said:

You have to be religious to feel empathy?

You certainly do not.  In fact, I have not seen evidence in my life that religious people have more empathy than non-religious people. 

but how does one feel empathy for something that almost certaintly does not have any awareness?  I can't believe that an embryo at three weeks is an actual person that feels pain, feels sadness or distress or even has any awareness of human existence.   You can certainly feel that that every potential life lost is a bad thing, but I don't see where empathy comes in.  

Edited by Tiger337

3 minutes ago, buddha said:

well, sonia and neil also said there wasnt...but you can believe nina if you want.  🙂

look they can all deny anything they want, but when a group nine people can't accommodate each other to the point they can meet together to do their work, that is a problem by any definition, whether they or any one will accept that definition or not. That is the one objective fact of the case.

Edited by gehringer_2

31 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Buddha can chime in but my guess is that ultimately even a conservative SCOTUS is going to be forced to rule that one state cannot bind  conduct in another in that way. It's a foundational precedent that states must recognize each others sovereignty and jurisdiction. To undercut that would basically be to dissolve the Union.

not clear that those laws would fail.

first, states absolutely will pass (MO and ID already have drafted them) laws that criminalize women and/or people who aid them who go out of state for abortions. will those be challenged? yes, how will the court rule? really who knows?

at least in the short term, they will terrorize people with the threat of jail

“There’s no clear precedent saying that states can’t try to regulate out-of-state conduct if it has some effect in-state or if it [involves] one of their citizens,” said David Cohen, a professor of law at Drexel University’s Kline School of Law and co-author of a forthcoming paper in the Columbia Law Review on impending interstate conflicts in abortion law. “What these laws are doing is saying, ‘We have a different understanding of how America works, and that understanding is that if you live in this state, we control you everywhere you are.’”

https://www.politico.com/news/2022/03/19/travel-abortion-law-missouri-00018539

2 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

look they can all deny anything they want, but when a group nine people can't accommodate each other to the point they can meet together to do their work, that is a problem by any definition, whether they or any one will accept that definition or not. That is the one objective fact of the case.

the complaint was that sotomayor asked gorsuch to wear a mask and he refused so she did it via zoom.  they both came out and said that's not true.  that is the objective fact of the story.  the rest is your projecting your dislike for gorsuch.  😉

• Like 1

Just now, RatkoVarda said:

first, states absolutely will pass (MO and ID already have drafted them) laws that criminalize women and/or people who aid them who go out of state for abortions. will those be challenged? yes, how will the court rule? really who knows?

“There’s no clear precedent saying that states can’t try to regulate out-of-state conduct if it has some effect in-state or if it [involves] one of their citizens,” said David Cohen, a professor of law at Drexel University’s Kline School of Law and co-author of a forthcoming paper in the Columbia Law Review on impending interstate conflicts in abortion law. “What these laws are doing is saying, ‘We have a different understanding of how America works, and that understanding is that if you live in this state, we control you everywhere you are.’”

well, Cohen can say that, but you are basically now creating a state citizenship that transcends the rights and privileges of your national one. I don't see how that can stand in a unitary state short of total chaos. But then again, I don't see how money can be speech or corporations can be people, or.......

1 minute ago, buddha said:

the complaint was that sotomayor asked gorsuch to wear a mask and he refused so she did it via zoom.  they both came out and said that's not true.  that is the objective fact of the story.  the rest is your projecting your dislike for gorsuch.  😉

did they meet together? Would 9 people who had some measure of comity have found a way to meet together? 

3 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

You certainly do not.  In fact, I have not seen evidence in my life that religious people have more empathy that non-religious people. 

but how does one feel empathy for something that almost certaintly does not have any awareness?  I can't believe that an embryo at three weeks is an actual person that feels pain, feels sadness or distress or even has any awareness of human existence.   You can certainly feel that that every potential life lost is a bad thing, but I don't see where empathy comes in.  

Walking into a building on Sunday and repeating a bunch of words you've rehearsed your whole life doesn't make you more empathetic.  Some have done it so many times that I don't even think the weight of those words are felt.   For some people going to church is merely a cover.    Plenty of church goers have harmed others, committed fraud on others or cheated on their spouses and done awful things.   Most have not, but the amount of religious you are is not the litmus test for me.      When someone has to tell  you they are religious, then maybe their actions aren't getting that across. 

1 minute ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Walking into a building on Sunday and repeating a bunch of words you've rehearsed your whole life doesn't make you more empathetic.  Some have done it so many times that I don't even think the weight of those words are felt.   For some people going to church is merely a cover.    Plenty of church goers have harmed others, committed fraud on others or cheated on their spouses and done awful things.   Most have not, but the amount of religious you are is not the litmus test for me.      When someone has to tell  you they are religious, then maybe their actions aren't getting that across. 

I'm always leery of people who have to continue to profess their love for God and Jesus or wrap themselves in the American flag. 

10 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

Really, really concerning. And ramifications beyond the issue of abortion as well.

6 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

did they meet together? Would 9 people who had some measure of comity have found a way to meet together? 

its 2022.  everything is via zoom.  ive never met my boss, yet we have plenty of comity.

Just curious how many of you are in favor of making the father at least pay 50% or more of the cost of the child that they helped create for the first 20 years or so of its life. And are willing to support legislation making it mandatory, with no  excuses from the sperm donor.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

You certainly do not.  In fact, I have not seen evidence in my life that religious people have more empathy that non-religious people. 

For unborn humans who lack awareness, I have the same kind of empathy for them that I have for people in a coma who are expected to fully recover.  If no harm is done to them, they will both have a good chance to thrive.

5 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

My company just had a whole spectacle for women's month and 70% of the senators that the company donated to confirmed the justices overturning Roe. 

my company does the same crap.  it's all about womens month, lbgtq month, black history months, and that we all need to be allies.  and then they go and donate all their money to republican candidates and the republican party.  total hypocrites with their fake pandering to make us all feel like they "care."

1 hour ago, oblong said:

Do you think it would be moral and legal to shoot the nazi's that were killing the Jews?  Like if you had a gun in your hand and could kill them would you?  And would it be moral and legal to do that to prevent the murders of the Jews about to go into gas chambers?

Put another way:

Imagine there's a house on your street where you know people are taking 2 week old babies inside and murdering them.  Are you legally and morally justified to use lethal force to stop that from happening?

My Grandpa was in the 45th Infantry and liberated Dachau concentration camp. He told me how knowing the americans were coming the camps commanding officer gave the order to cave in as many Jew heads with the butt of their rifles as possible so they could save the ammo to fight the americans. Once liberated many Jews took the german weapons and began killing many of the captured Nazis many soldier did the same, he did not.

Amazingly months later during his time serving in the German occupation he met my Grandma. She was only 15 and was at Dachau when my grandpa was there but did not meet until later. She came home with him in 1946. She would tell my brother and I how mad she was because she never was tatooed. She was from Romania and both her parents were marked in Auschwitz with the "Z" signifying Romanian. She was seperated from my great grand parents (never heard from again) and sent to Dachau and forced to drink salt water and not wear clothes as part of expirements on here. They did not tatoo most Jews late in the war so they would mark their clothes instead. Anyways she was a strong woman and went to DC every year for the march for life and was able to go with my daughter, her great grand daughter in 2015 for one last march months before her death.

You see I have clear eyes for what an abortion is from her prospective.

As for the religous aspect to your question:

The questions you and the left ask are in line with the Pharisees and how they would try to trick Jesus into answering their questions in a way intraping him into convicting himself. Murder is murder and death is final. 

1 minute ago, buddha said:

my company does the same crap.  it's all about womens month, lbgtq month, black history months, and that we all need to be allies.  and then they go and donate all their money to republican candidates and the republican party.  total hypocrites with their fake pandering to make us all feel like they "care."

I think the company does care as long as it doesn't get in the way of profits and the shareholders. 

4 minutes ago, CMRivdogs said:

Just curious how many of you are in favor of making the father at least pay 50% or more of the cost of the child that they helped create for the first 20 years or so of its life. And are willing to support legislation making it mandatory, with no  excuses from the sperm donor.

father and mother should each have to spend an equal share to raise a child.

Just now, Motown Bombers said:

I think the company does care as long as it doesn't get in the way of profits and the shareholders. 

i think they care about one a lot more than the other.  i think the other is merely lip service.

7 minutes ago, sabretooth said:

For unborn humans who lack awareness, I have the same kind of empathy for them that I have for people in a coma who are expected to fully recover.  If no harm is done to them, they will both have a good chance to thrive.

Someone in a coma is an obvious human being who has had a whole life of thoughts and feelings which are easy to empathize with.  There is even some evidence that they may contiunue to have thoughts and feelings while in a coma.  That person also most likely has friends and family who love them and would be devastated by the loss so the empathy extends to them.  It is very unlikely that an embryo has any of that at a meaningful level.       

Edited by Tiger337