SCOTUS and whatnot

pfife

4 minutes ago, oblong said:

Frankly no.

There's too many caveats and potential exceptions for there to be a a reasonable basis for a law to be written that's fair.  Ultimately it should be left to the woman and her doctor.   That's how I would prefer it.  But if you wanted to have something I would listen to a ban in the third trimester with exceptions for rape, incest, and health of the woman.   By health I mean complications.  I wouldn't restrict it to "life in danger".   The woman and the doctor can decide what that means.  Not a legislator or judge with no medical training or background.

I trust women that they would not want to go through that unless there was a good reason and same with the medical provider.   

Good enough opportunity to ask again whether the exceptions for rape, incest or health of woman are a consideration for those who would cheer this decision.

Just now, mtutiger said:

Good enough opportunity to ask again whether the exceptions for rape, incest or health of woman are a consideration for those who would cheer this decision.

yes.  has anyone said otherwise?

but i'm a squish on abortion.  

5 minutes ago, buddha said:

yes.  has anyone said otherwise?

but i'm a squish on abortion.  

Question not directed at you, more at Tigeraholic and others.

I don't believe Texas' trigger law has these, for what it's worth. Which, again, makes them crazy extreme. And I'm not gonna assume that it'll be a standard feature for any state that decides to outlaw. (EDIT: does for life of mother, not for rape or incest)

Edited by mtutiger

1 hour ago, Motown Bombers said:

If a fetus is a baby, why doesn't have the same rights as a baby? Why can't it be claimed as a dependent? Why can't life insurance be purchased on it? Why isn't a birth certificate issued while it's in the womb? 

Why isn't the fetus counted in the census? Why is it when there's a miscarriage, there isn't a funeral?

56 minutes ago, Archie said:

How many of the senators that support Roe also support males competing in women's sports?  This is a political issue.  I'm not buying the women's rights rhetoric from the left.  They're hypocritical if they think one affects women's rights and the other doesn't.

Yeah, why are we wasting our time talking about stupid shit like abortion when we could be talking about important things like men competing in women's sports? Where are our priorities?

2 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

I wonder if we refer to the kids killed at Oxford High as aborted if Republicans would change their stance on guns? 

As much as the radical Christian right loves kids, they love guns even more. Nothing trumps their love for guns. If the radical Christian right put the energy into ensuring well-funded schools, universal healthcare, nutritious food on everyone's table, shelter over everyone's head, as they do pimping out for guns, the world would be a better place. But you know, that would require you to act like a, um, Christian.

1 minute ago, buddha said:

people love stare decisis when they liked the previous law and hate it when they dont.  

this thread is a few posts away from people claimaing alito wants to bring back slavery.

I wish the old forums still existed because I'm pretty sure you would have been one of the ones telling us we were overreacting and that Roe would not be overturned. 

11 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Yup. Abortion is a gateway issue to implementing complete autocracy over all important aspects of American's lives. And if you don't want to have all the important aspects of your life circumscribed for you, then obviously you've been planning to break the law.

I think you'll be left alone if you're a straight White Christian male with some wealth.  

19 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

I think Trump would have gone away. MAGA would have been rejected by the Republican party. The only reason it ever took hold is because he won.

I think the complete opposite: Trump would have started Trump Media which, on the strength of the argument that the 2016 election was stolen from you good conservatives, would have catapulted it to the #1 position among right-wing media, which would have led Republican legislatures to audit the election and pass restrictive voting laws, which would have led to Trump crowing victoriously in his rallies, which would have led to his nomination in 2020, which would have led to his election that year based on two issues: The Big Lie, and the Hillary Administration's to keep twenty thousand people from dying of the Kung Flu. And he would be president right now.

Or perhaps Trump would have faded quietly into the background, shrinking violet that he is. Equally likely ...

5 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

I wish the old forums still existed because I'm pretty sure you would have been one of the ones telling us we were overreacting and that Roe would not be overturned. 

nyah, you dont want those forums back up, then everyone would be able to see all your posts about how much you liked the teez tabor pick.

28 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I disagree—I think if Hillary had won, Trump would be president right now.

yeah - I thought going in that 2016 was a trap election for whichever side won it. But who really knows, Hillary might have surprised us all and been good. Look at Zelensky.

....nah...

6 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

I think you'll be left alone if you're a straight White Christian male with some wealth.  

True, at least as long as you don't have a years-long track record of lipping off in forums like this. 😁

Serious question:

Looking ahead to what is obviously looming on the horizon, one thing I'm wondering is, once abortion is criminalized nationwide, what's going to happen to the 750,000 or so additional babies that will be born in America every year? And what's going to happen to the women and the girls—especially the girls—who've now been forced to bear them? What next?

Edited by chasfh

3 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

yeah - I thought going in that 2016 was a trap election for whichever side won it. But who really knows, Hillary might have surprised us all and been good. Look at Zelensky.

....nah...

Both houses would have been controlled by Republicans. Basically all Hillary would have been allowed to do is nominate justices and handle COVID. She would have done it much better than Trump. Perhaps Russia decides to invade Ukraine earlier since they wouldn't have an ally in Trump. 

1 minute ago, chasfh said:

Looking ahead to what is obviously looming on the horizon, one thing I'm wondering is, once abortion is criminalized nationwide, what's going to happen to the 750,000 or so additional babies that will be born in America every year? And what's going to happen to the women and the girls—especially the girls—who've now been forced to bear them? What next?

They pull themselves up by the bootstraps. 

15 minutes ago, buddha said:

people love stare decisis when they liked the previous law and hate it when they dont.  

this thread is a few posts away from people claimaing alito wants to bring back slavery.

It is deeply rooted in history...

:classic_biggrin:

Edited by gehringer_2

11 minutes ago, buddha said:

He is just a couple steps away from attempting to make women second class citizens again. 

I'm old enough to remember that if an unmarried woman became pregnant she could kiss her career goodbye. And in some cases be disowned by family.

8 minutes ago, buddha said:

While I don't think a Christian fundamentalist like Alito would want slavery back, I do think he'd love to leave issues like inter-racial marriage, gay marriage, LGBTQ equity, women's rights in the workplace, anti-discrimination laws, voting rights up to the states. States rights arguments are the same way of saying you don't support something. I think Alito, Barrett, Kavanaugh, and Thomas want this nation to look fundamentally different than it does now. They fundamentally don't believe the federal government should be in the business of promoting equity and equality. It's ironic for Thomas considering he is both black and from the south that without the federal government stepping in and mandating equity southern states in this country would still infringe on his right to vote and right to marry his wife Virginia.