SCOTUS and whatnot

pfife

Now that they have essentially rid the country of legal abortion, you can be sure some radical, right wing, Christian fundamentalist group will come for marriage equality next. Under the guise of state's rights and government overreach, I'd bet money that Obergefell will get overturned if this country and court keep heading in the direction they are in.

Edited by Mr.TaterSalad

6 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I think the complete opposite: Trump would have started Trump Media which, on the strength of the argument that the 2016 election was stolen from you good conservatives, would have catapulted it to the #1 position among right-wing media, which would have led Republican legislatures to audit the election and pass restrictive voting laws, which would have led to Trump crowing victoriously in his rallies, which would have led to his nomination in 2020, which would have led to his election that year based on two issues: The Big Lie, and the Hillary Administration's to keep twenty thousand people from dying of the Kung Flu. And he would be president right now.

Or perhaps Trump would have faded quietly into the background, shrinking violet that he is. Equally likely ...

I don't think Trump wanted to be president though.  He can get more money and plenty of attention and have more fun with Trump Media.  He wouldn't have to any of the boring President stuff.  He could even have rallies.  He'd be like Carlson or Hannity telling a puppet president what to do.  

1 minute ago, Tiger337 said:

I don't think Trump wanted to be president though.  He can get more money and plenty of attention and have more fun with Trump Media.  He wouldn't have to any of the boring President stuff.  He could even have rallies.  He'd be like Carlson or Hannity telling a puppet president what to do.  

If you believe Michael Cohen, the plan wasn't to get elected and he didn't expect to get elected. It was more a political stunt because Trump was yet again in trouble financially and needed to build his brand. 

2 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

Maybe not at first, but now that he has had the taste of presidential power without presidential responsibility, that's not true anymore. Trump is making more money and getting more attention off his stint as president then he ever got before. Plus, he would still have run Trump Media from his White House, because really, who was going to stop him? You? You, Lieutenant Weinberg?

Trump didn't do any of the boring president stuff when he was president.

4 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

He gave you the right's serious answer.  

I'd like to know what's supposed to happen to the 750,000 extra babies and their mothers, many of whom will be school-age and impregnated without the ability to have given full consent.

18 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

I don't care. I like the Teez Tabor pick but nice deflection. 

deflection from what?  your insightful comment?  lol.

i was teasing you to make a joke.  

i didnt think they would overturn roe.  i thought roberts would whittle away at it like he has at other laws and kavanaugh would go along with him.  which could still happen, but doesnt seem likely.

2 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

I also used to remember when Republicans crowed on about judicial activism and legislating from the bench.

this isnt legislating from the bench, its sending the issue back to the legislatures where they said it belonged in the first place.  this ia the opposite of legislating from the bench.

19 minutes ago, CMRivdogs said:

He is just a couple steps away from attempting to make women second class citizens again. 

I'm old enough to remember that if an unmarried woman became pregnant she could kiss her career goodbye. And in some cases be disowned by family.

i think that's an overreaction.

Chicago Will Be A ‘Haven’ For People Who Need Abortion If Roe V. Wade Is Overturned, Mayor Lightfoot Says

Get ready for police checkpoints at the state border—not the Illinois police to control who comes into the state, but the Indiana/Iowa/Wisconsin police who will control who leaves the state. "Hey, lady, what business do you have going to the 'abortion haven'? Oh, nothing in particular? Just visiting friends, you say? Turn around and go home, lady. You're not leaving this state on my watch."

That'll have to do until they build The Wall.

😏

1 minute ago, buddha said:

this isnt legislating from the bench, its sending the issue back to the legislatures where they said it belonged in the first place.  this ia the opposite of legislating from the bench.

This is legislating from the bench. This is a group of justices saying, as coy as they may want to be about it, that they believe abortion should be illegal. They can frame it in any cute legal speak they want, but this is Justices of the Supreme Court enacting their religious beliefs against abortion on the rest of us. They know damn well there are trigger laws that will go into effect that will place a full ban on abortion once Roe is overturned.

Just now, Mr.TaterSalad said:

This is legislating from the bench. This is a group of justices saying, as coy as they may want to be about it, that they believe abortion should be illegal. They can frame it in any cute legal speak they want, but this is Justices of the Supreme Court enacting their religious beliefs against abortion on the rest of us. They know damn well there are trigger laws that will go into effect that will place a full ban on abortion once Roe is overturned.

sending an issue back to the legislature is the opposite of "legislating from the bench."  its saying theegislature can legislate. legislating from the bench would be them saying all abortions are now illegal and all abortion providers are going to prison, no matter what the legislature says.

you can disagree with the brief all you want, but its not "legislating" from the bench.

7 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Chicago Will Be A ‘Haven’ For People Who Need Abortion If Roe V. Wade Is Overturned, Mayor Lightfoot Says

Get ready for police checkpoints at the state border—not the Illinois police to control who comes into the state, but the Indiana/Iowa/Wisconsin police who will control who leaves the state. "Hey, lady, what business do you have going to the 'abortion haven'? Oh, nothing in particular? Just visiting friends, you say? Turn around and go home, lady. You're not leaving this state on my watch."

That'll have to do until they build The Wall.

😏

What about airlifting? In Texas they had to airlift a woman to Colorado who was having a miscarriage due to Texas law and the doctors fearing legal penalty. 

Just now, buddha said:

sending an issue back to the legislature is the opposite of "legislating from the bench."  its saying theegislature can legislate. legislating from the bench would be them saying all abortions are now illegal and all abortion providers are going to prison, no matter what the legislature says.

you can disagree with the brief all you want, but its not "legislating" from the bench.

If they know there is legislation already drafted and/or enacted into law that bans abortion, that is the court saying "we wish for these laws to be enacted". Thus, these laws that they know are on the books already or are a step away from being legalized, will ban abortion. This is a wink and a nod to say ok states and state legislatures, you may enact or enforce these laws now that ban abortion. These aren't stupid people, they know damn well what they did and did it with purpose and to allow others the legislative intent to ban abortion or enforce what is already being legislated. I'm not going to keep quibbling over legislative intent or not after this. But the GOP and GOP judicial minds always told us what a problem judicial activism was and that judges should not be imposing their personal will or legislating it on others, and I believe they did just that.

2 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

What about airlifting? In Texas they had to airlift a woman to Colorado who was having a miscarriage due to Texas law and the doctors fearing legal penalty. 

I don't know, anti-aircraft missiles? There must be a way ...

1 minute ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

If they know there is legislation already drafted and/or enacted into law that bans abortion, that is the court saying "we wish for these laws to be enacted". Thus, these laws that they know are on the books already or are a step away from being legalized, will ban abortion. This is a wink and a nod to say ok states and state legislatures, you may enact or enforce these laws now that ban abortion. These aren't stupid people, they know damn well what they did and did it with purpose and to allow others the legislative intent to ban abortion or enforce what is already being legislated. I'm not going to keep quibbling over legislative intent or not after this. But the GOP and GOP judicial minds always told us what a problem judicial activism was and that judges should not be imposing their personal will or legislating it on others, and I believe they did just that.

what about all the legislatures that enacted laws saying abortion will be legal?  was that part of alito's master plan too?

its almost as if they think the legislatures should legislate...

2 minutes ago, buddha said:

what about all the legislatures that enacted laws saying abortion will be legal?  was that part of alito's master plan too?

its almost as if they think the legislatures should legislate...

Roe was just the first obstacle. The next will be a nationwide ban. It took the Republicans decades to get the court in their favor to overturn Roe so it will take time to pass a nationwide ban. 

32 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Serious question:

what's going to happen to the 750,000 or so additional babies that will be born in America every year? 

We accommodate more than 750K of freedom seeking refugees each year don’t we? 
To think a good portion of these babies may grow up to be good people? I know I’m reaching, dirty little evil babies I know.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

We accommodate more than 750K of freedom seeking refugees each year don’t we? 
To think a good portion of these babies may grow up to be good people? I know I’m reaching, dirty little evil babies I know.

This is a serious question. What do we do with all the additional babies and their mothers, especially the underage girls?

1 hour ago, buddha said:

i didnt follow those hearings (because theyre all a joke and just a way for senators to preen like peacocks), so i dont know what they said.  i would imagine they said stuff so banal and amorphous that it meant nothing, and that collins and murkowski were going to vote them in if the gop needed their votes, and would vote not to confirm them if the gop didnt need their votes.

I have more the impression that the charge by Collins and Murkowski is that representations were made in their private interviews that were lies.