SCOTUS and whatnot

pfife

1 minute ago, mtutiger said:

At least until someone challenges one of the states who legalize it, anyway.

Right, Alito and company know what this will lead to. All the legal wrangling in the world won't change that. As MB said, Roe was the first step. When Republicans get control of the House, Senate, and Presidency again someday, possibly as soon as 2024, I have no doubt they will bring about legislation that will enact a nationwide ban. Mr. State's Rights Samuel Alito will suddenly and likely have forgotten by that time that he cares so much about state's rights.

18 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Chicago Will Be A ‘Haven’ For People Who Need Abortion If Roe V. Wade Is Overturned, Mayor Lightfoot Says

Get ready for police checkpoints at the state border—not the Illinois police to control who comes into the state, but the Indiana/Iowa/Wisconsin police who will control who leaves the state. "Hey, lady, what business do you have going to the 'abortion haven'? Oh, nothing in particular? Just visiting friends, you say? Turn around and go home, lady. You're not leaving this state on my watch."

That'll have to do until they build The Wall.

😏

During Covid my son and I were turned away from purchasing tickets to a Pistons game because my credit cards zip code was in Indiana. They told me only people from NW Ohio (Toledo zip code) and Western Ontario could purchase tickets. This is 1,000% a true story.

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

During Covid my son and I were turned away from purchasing tickets to a Pistons game because my credit cards zip code was in Indiana. They told me only people from NW Ohio (Toledo zip code) and Western Ontario could purchase tickets. This is 1,000% a true story.

Except for allowing people from Ohio to buy tickets, I'm fine with this. 

20 minutes ago, buddha said:

i think that's an overreaction.

So is taking abortion laws back to 1976. Not to mention the desire to turn back the clock on gay rights.

While the so called Christian Taliban can't take women back that far, the never did approve the ERA either. So if you follow Alito's thinking, women's rights are not actually mentioned in the constitution as far as their work rights are concerned.  And in many cases they still get second class treatment to men in corporate America. 

to be fair, despite my hyperbole, most people who consider themselves Pro Life don't think about this like we do here.  I understand that.  But someone has to.  Too many people are legislating to try to control what they think is immoral behavior.  Its more than that.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

I have more the impression that the charge by Collins and Murkowski is that representations were made in their private interviews that were lies.

Exactly. 

Maybe it's all Kabuki theater, but it may still be accurate regardless that what fell out of their mouths of Collins / Murkowski didn't match what they ultimately did.

13 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Right, Alito and company know what this will lead to. All the legal wrangling in the world won't change that. As MB said, Roe was the first step. When Republicans get control of the House, Senate, and Presidency again someday, possibly as soon as 2024, I have no doubt they will bring about legislation that will enact a nationwide ban. Mr. State's Rights Samuel Alito will suddenly and likely have forgotten by that time that he cares so much about state's rights.

Yeah, it's seems pretty obvious whether it's through court action or through federal action, the desire for "states rights" on abortion will end the moment that this ruling comes down.

34 minutes ago, chasfh said:

This is a serious question. What do we do with all the additional babies and their mothers, especially the underage girls?

the us isnt producing enough children right now.  an additional 750k per year would be welcome news to the future economy.

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

Yeah, why are we wasting our time talking about stupid shit like abortion when we could be talking about important things like men competing in women's sports? Where are our priorities?

I was making the point that when these politicians say they care about women they are hypocrites.  It was an example of something they are doing to hurt women. Sometimes you folks here have a problem seeing the whole issue.

20 minutes ago, buddha said:

the us isnt producing enough children right now.  an additional 750k per year would be welcome news to the future economy.

What proportion do you suppose have to end up in prison before those economics come out negative?

Edited by gehringer_2

9 minutes ago, Archie said:

I was making the point that when these politicians say they care about women they are hypocrites.  It was an example of something they are doing to hurt women. Sometimes you folks here have a problem seeing the whole issue.

crushin it

28 minutes ago, romad1 said:

starting to think Roberts is the leaker

Maybe they want people to think there's a leak. We don't know if its true but we're taking their word for it.  Who knows, maybe this was planned.  

If it was a leak my money would be on Sotomayor or the new lady.  If this turns out to be true and Roe is overturned, both of them will be very unhappy. 

17 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

What proportion do you suppose have to end up in prison before those economics come out negative?

do you think we need more people in america?  the entire developed world is having a baby shortage.  we'll either need more immigration or more kids.  preferably both.

17 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

It would be nice to think that a decrease in access to abortion and birth control could be coupled with more resources for families in order accommodate those births, but frankly, this country does a pretty terrible job of doing that with families as it is.

I know that point grates like sandpaper for a lot of folks, but it doesn't make it any less true.

15 minutes ago, Archie said:

Maybe they want people to think there's a leak. We don't know if its true but we're taking their word for it.  Who knows, maybe this was planned.  

If it was a leak my money would be on Sotomayor or the new lady.  If this turns out to be true and Roe is overturned, both of them will be very unhappy. 

Corney Barret?

6 minutes ago, buddha said:

if someone leaked it, its probably a clerk.

why would roberts leak the memo and then call for an fbi investigation?  that doesnt make any sense.

That’s what Roberts is counting on 😉