SCOTUS and whatnot

pfife

14 minutes ago, buddha said:

the best is the "the ones who will really suffer are the babies".  yes, i'm sure they'd much rather have their brains sucked out while theyre still in the womb.  that's much more preferable.

I mean, shouldn't we do a better job supporting mothers who are in that situation who don't have means?

Churches and non-profits alone aren't enough to do that. 

Just now, gehringer_2 said:

I hear a lot of denial, I don't see much evidence that would refute Chasf scenario. Most women getting abortions are poor, single,  already have children they are trying to take care of and have become overmatched by their circumstances. You wouldn't have abortions to ban if these women had had the options they needed to gain better control over their lives.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2021/12/14/upshot/who-gets-abortions-in-america.html

you dont hear evidence refuting a made up hypothetical?  of course you dont.  its made up.

1 minute ago, gehringer_2 said:

I hear a lot of denial, I don't see much evidence that would refute Chasf scenario. Most women getting abortions are poor, single,  already have children they are trying to take care of and have become overmatched by their circumstances. You wouldn't have abortions to ban if these women had had the options they needed to gain better control over their lives.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2021/12/14/upshot/who-gets-abortions-in-america.html

Middle class, white Republicans woman will still find ways to get abortions as needed. As will the mistresses of Republican politicians.

1 minute ago, mtutiger said:

I mean, shouldn't we do a better job supporting mothers who are in that situation who don't have means?

Churches and non-profits alone aren't enough to do that. 

yes we should.  we also shouldnt lie to ourselves and think were doing these poor minority kids a favor by killing them.

2 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Middle class, white Republicans woman will still find ways to get abortions as needed. As will the mistresses of Republican politicians.

yup. Morality for thee but not for me. Same as it ever was.

Edited by gehringer_2

1 minute ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

and good limousine liberals will still fly in airplanes, drive gas guzzling cars, send their kids to private schools, and move to exclusive lilly white suburbs.  people are hypocrites.

3 minutes ago, buddha said:

and good limousine liberals will still fly in airplanes, drive gas guzzling cars, send their kids to private schools, and move to exclusive lilly white suburbs.  people are hypocrites.

Your average progressive is working to move forward and make the world a better place, even if they are hypocritical at times. Your average conservative, Christian fundamentalist wants to take the world back to the 1950's and prior. That's the whole reason for the slogan Make American Great Again. 

Edited by Mr.TaterSalad

3 minutes ago, buddha said:

but it's OK for us to assuage our consciences by leaving the poor and less resourced at the mercy of our hypocrisies while we buy our way out of the inconveniences, but sleep well in our surety we have made the world safer for the unborn.

Sorry I'm not buying that version of moral rectitude.

Edited by gehringer_2

4 minutes ago, buddha said:

yes we should.  we also shouldnt lie to ourselves and think were doing these poor minority kids a favor by killing them.

That's not my position at all.

Having said that, I find it hard to take the concerns of many (not all) pro-lifers seriously when they often advocate for and for candidates who continually advocate for cutting programs that would help families in these situations.

6 minutes ago, buddha said:

You should come out to the suburbs some time, you'll find plenty of conservative pro-lifers out here too who are oblivious to the plight of working class people. Or how the policies they advocate harm them

Edited by mtutiger

19 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

but it's OK for us to assuage our consciences by leaving the poor and less resourced at the mercy of our hypocrisies while we buy our way out of the inconveniences, but sleep well in our surety we have made the world safer for the unborn.

Of course. Making the world a better place for those who are born goes against the tenants of Christian fundamentalists. Just look at all the programs these alleged pro life fundamentalists are against that do indeed make life better for people and provide them with at least some means to subsist. And if you don't believe they are against them, the far right politicians they keep voting for have routinely voted to cut, eliminate and/or privatize these programs.

I would be glad to provide the sourcing about all the times these allegedly pro life, Republican politicians voted to cut, eliminate, and/or privatize each of the programs. I would also be glad to provide the vote totals for the politicians who voted to cut, eliminate, and/or privatize these programs and show the votes they got from the allegedly pro life, Christian fundamentalists.

• Aid for Families with Dependent Children/AFDC (they believed that people on AFDC before it was reformed were welfare queens)
  • Commodity Supplemental Food Program
  • Community Development Block Grant and Related Development Funds
  • Earned Income Tax Credit
  • Free/Reduced Lunch Programs in Schools
  • General Cash Assistance
  • Housing and Urban Development Assistance/HUD
  • Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program
  • Medicaid
  • Medicare
  • Medicare For All legislation for universal healthcare
  • Obamacare Medicaid expansion
  • Section 8 Housing Vouchers
  • Social Security (they want to privatize it and turn us into Chile)
  • Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants, and Children/WIC
  • State Children's Health Insurance Program
  • Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program/SNAP
  • Supplemental Security Income
  • Temporary Assistance for Needy Families/TANF
  • Title I Migrant Education Program
  • Title One Grants to Local Education Authorities
  • Unemployment insurance compensation
  • Universal Service Fund Subsidized Low Income Phone Service
  • WIA Adult Employment and Training (Formerly JTPA IIA Training for Disadvantaged Adults & Youth)
Edited by Mr.TaterSalad

12 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

That's not my position at all.

Having said that, I find it hard to take the concerns of many (not all) pro-lifers seriously when they often advocate for and for candidates who continually advocate for cutting programs that would help families in these situations.

i know its not your position, but it is the position of others in this thread.

also, lots of churches do all sorts of charitable work.  because you may believe that you shouldnt rely upon the state for support doesnt mean youre not charitable or dont care about those more unfortunate thab yourself.  the picture that is painted in this thread of christians is based solely on liberal stereotypes.  again, im not saying you, but others certainly are.

14 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

You should come out to the suburbs some time, you'll find plenty of conservative pro-lifers out here too who are oblivious to the plight of working class people. Or how the policies they advocate harm them

well sure.  its almost like people are people regardless of what political party they support.  some are good, some are bad.

8 minutes ago, buddha said:

also, lots of churches do all sorts of charitable work.  because you may believe that you shouldnt rely upon the state for support doesnt mean youre not charitable or dont care about those more unfortunate thab yourself.  the picture that is painted in this thread of christians is based solely on liberal stereotypes.  again, im not saying you, but others certainly are.

The picture being painted of Christians in this thread is the one that fits the US public/political Christians who have claimed the mantle of speaking for Christianity in the US today. There are still millions of Christians in America who look at the public face of Christianity in American and despair. But they are also largely people who believe in the separation of church and state, and so do their political advocacy largely through party and other secular means and without trying to claim divine revelation in their arguments.

Edited by gehringer_2

also, lots of churches do all sorts of charitable work.  because you may believe that you shouldnt rely upon the state for support doesnt mean youre not charitable or dont care about those more unfortunate thab yourself.  

But we are a country of 330+ million people... just from a practical stand point,, churches and non-profits alone *can't* bridge those gaps.

So when we are talking about 750k who may be born who wouldn't otherwise, many into situations that aren't great and where the odds may be against them in having success in life, there's just a tremendous amount of cognitive dissonance in sitting and saying "cut cut cut" to social spending programs while expressing concern for sparing them from an abortion.

Put another way, sure, you can care despite holding those views. But on a practical level, holding those views still, in the end, does not help.

8 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

The picture being painted of Christians in this thread is the one that fits the US public/political Christians who have claimed the mantle of speaking for Christianity in the US today. There are still millions of Christians in America who look at the public face of Christianity in American and despair. But they are also largely people who believe in the separation of church and state, and so do their political advocacy largely through party and other secular means and without trying to claim divine revelation in their arguments.

the picture being painted of christians in this thread is of a useful steteotype by people who dont like them.

and i am the furthest thing from a christian.

the picture being painted of christians in this thread is of a useful steteotype by people who dont like them.

and i am the furthest thing from a christian.

Maybe if you had been closer you'd appreciate the critique more. Besides, if you live and work a major metro, most the church work you come into contact with is likely to be old school Protestant and Social Service Catholic and none of of those people are the political voice of Christianity in the US today.

Edited by gehringer_2

6 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Maybe if you had been closer you'd appreciate the critique more. Besides, if you live and work a major metro, most the church work you come into contact with is likely to be old school Protestant and Social Service Catholic and none of of those people are the political voice of Christianity in the US today.

i come into contact with christians all the time.  evangelical christians even.  half of them are dyed in the wool bernie sanders supporters.  

6 hours ago, Archie said:

Maybe they want people to think there's a leak. We don't know if its true but we're taking their word for it.  Who knows, maybe this was planned.  

If it was a leak my money would be on Sotomayor or the new lady.  If this turns out to be true and Roe is overturned, both of them will be very unhappy. 

Your posts just keep getting worse and worse. By the minute.

You're suffering from early dementia, aren't you?

I mean... it's obvious, I can tell.