SCOTUS and whatnot

pfife

5 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

the world does not have too few humans anywhere or under any economic conditions. "Baby Shortages" are nationalistic pearl clutching fantasies. There is no place on this planet that wouldn't be better off with a lower titer of Homo-Sapiens. 

image.thumb.png.6b039db7ff9c80fa697364293df5e7fd.png

This should have a pic of THANOS in your post.

13 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

This should have a pic of THANOS in your post.

I'm not a big fan either the Marvel or DC worlds. The Agent Smith meme generates from the 1st Matrix film :

Quoth agent Smith:

"I'd like to share a revelation that I've had during my time here. It came to me when I tried to classify your species and I realized that you're not actually mammals. Every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with the surrounding environment but you humans do not. You move to an area and you multiply and multiply until every natural resource is consumed and the only way you can survive is to spread to another area. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. Do you know what it is? A virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet. You're a plague and we are the cure."

Edited by gehringer_2

13 minutes ago, buddha said:

what was your case again?  that i dont know "real" christians?

i'll let them know.

most of them are really racist, does that make them "real" to you?

no, that the Christians with whom you are likely to interact in urban US American like Chicago are not in the main the people who are speaking for Christianity politically in the US today or are in control of  the regional political discourse as they would be many non urban centers.

Are you fishing for a follow-up  question about why you find them racist? I'll bite.

Edited by gehringer_2

10 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

I'm not a big fan of the DC world. The Agent Smith meme generates from the 1st Matrix film :

Quoth agent Smith:

"I'd like to share a revelation that I've had during my time here. It came to me when I tried to classify your species and I realized that you're not actually mammals. Every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with the surrounding environment but you humans do not. You move to an area and you multiply and multiply until every natural resource is consumed and the only way you can survive is to spread to another area. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. Do you know what it is? A virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet. You're a plague and we are the cure."

That asks for the eradication of humankind as they are a disease/ cancer/ plague.

I thought your point was reduced birth rates are not a problem. (Hence, reduced homo sapiens population... but not eradication).

Hence: Thanos (who is MCU by the way, not DC), who snapped his fingers for an instant reduction of all life by 50%.

Forget reduced birth rates, I want to snap my fingers.

11 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

that the Christians with whom you are likely to interact in urban US American like Chicago are not in the main the people who are speaking for Christianity politically in the US today or are in control of  the regional political discourse as they would be many non urban centers.

Are you fishing for a follow-up  question about why you find them racist? I'll bite.

i wasnt.  i assume from your postings that you think they're all racists so the fact that they are would mean you think they're real christians.  lol.

i think urban christians and rural christians have more in common than you might imagine, even if some vote for trump and some for bernie.

Just now, 1984Echoes said:

That asks for the eradication of humankind as they are a disease/ cancer/ plague.

I thought your point was reduced birth rates are not a problem. (Hence, reduced homo sapiens population... but not eradication).

Hence: Thanos (who is MCU by the way, not DC), who snapped his fingers for an instant reduction of all life by 50%.

Forget reduced birth rates, I want to snap my fingers.

that concept I was picking up on was that an organism needs to live in equilibrium with its environment. The last few lines of the speech do over run that, but it was a great scene.  :classic_laugh:

yeah - I only had a vague familiarity with Thanos beyond that he looks suspiciously like Josh Brolin in the promos, but I did look him up. Sure, he would apply as well!

6 minutes ago, buddha said:

i wasnt.  i assume from your postings that you think they're all racists so the fact that they are would mean you think they're real christians.  lol.

i think urban christians and rural christians have more in common than you might imagine, even if some vote for trump and some for bernie.

Thanks but No, I think I'll stand on my experience of the typical differences across Church USA.

Edited by gehringer_2

1 hour ago, buddha said:

i assume from your postings that you think they're all racists so the fact that they are would mean you think they're real christians.  lol

It was mostly committed Christians, and Jews, who went to the barricades with Blacks in the 50's and 60's. There's nothing wrong with Christianity that a different set of 'Christians' in control of it's narrative wouldn't help.

Edited by gehringer_2

10 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

that concept I was picking up on was that an organism needs to live in equilibrium with its environment...

PS: I do love the first part of that statement as I have a personal philosophy of equilibrium with the environment.

If we are going to act like a plague of locusts instead of human beings then we are an overpopulated species.

8 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

Right or not, that kind of partisan venom (not from Hillary, the tweeter) really doesn't help.

I saw it as more of a condemnation of those on the far left that didn’t hold their nose to vote for her, as opposed to conservatives that were never going to vote for her in the first place. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

I hear a lot of denial, I don't see much evidence that would refute Chasf scenario. Most women getting abortions are poor (and the poor are disproportionate of color, so that inference doesn't need explicit statement even if the report avoids it) single,  already have children they are trying to take care of and have become overmatched by their circumstances. You wouldn't have abortions to ban if these women had had the options they needed to gain better control over their lives.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2021/12/14/upshot/who-gets-abortions-in-america.html

That’s OK, I’ve seen that before here. I remember in 2016 when my various hypotheses that certain elements of a Trump presidency might lead to fascist autocracy would be dismissed in a single sentence as “Alarmist Non-sense”. But hey, denialism is easy, cheap, and, I guess, fun. Which is fine for a free mostly anonymous online forum since there are no stakes here but reputation. After all, whenever any of the Alarmist Non-sense does come to pass, they can just shrug their shoulders and be like, “oops, guess I was wrong, oh well.” Or perhaps simply forget or deny they dismissed it in the first place.

Also, not for nothing, only one person here brought up the idea that killing minority children would be doing them a favor, but I don’t see anybody here advocating anything even close to that idea. Don’t hold your breath waiting for evidence of it.

2 hours ago, Tigerbomb13 said:

I saw it as more of a condemnation of those on the far left that didn’t hold their nose to vote for her, as opposed to conservatives that were never going to vote for her in the first place. 

yeah I think there's a liberal vs leftist twitter context that this tweet is part of.

I guess I don't get the point of the liberal vs. leftist battle over who let the fash happen the hardest.   There's still fash to stop. 

8 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

It does seem that once Roe is overturned, there really is nothing to keep them from overturning Casey, Obergefell, Loving, Lawrence, Griswold, or any of the rest of them. None of these will be considered settled law anymore.

I personally hope that once Loving is overturned and the Thomases travel to a state where interracial marriage is newly outlawed, they get arrested and imprisoned for being married. I would also accept his getting arrested for contributing to the delinquency of a white female. 😉

• Like 1

I watched the Shapiro clip in context just now and he does indeed call Obergefell a bad ruling. It will be curious to see where the Ben Shaprio's, Tucker Carlson's, and Dan Bongino's steer the conversation next. I would presume it will be for calls for a nationwide, federal ban on any and all abortions. After that, I presume Griswold and Obergefell will be top of their list. I think the far right media ecosphere will stay focused on abortion for the time being though until they get a Republican Congress and President willing to pass into law a full ban on abortion.