SCOTUS and whatnot

pfife

17 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

Is domestic supply of infants in the Bible? 

Apparently, when George Carlin said that Republicans “believe a woman's primary role is to function as a brood mare for the state”, he was not engaging in Alarmist Non-sense.

1 hour ago, mtutiger said:

This is the same Republican Party who thought they could ride the tiger with Donald Trump and failed miserably.

Consider me skeptical

i think it will take some time to sort through and it will be different by state (of course).  texas will be interesting to see what ultimately happens 6 or 8 years from now.

1 hour ago, mtutiger said:

This is the same Republican Party who thought they could ride the tiger with Donald Trump and failed miserably.

Consider me skeptical

Failed how? Looks like everything important to the Republican Party is coming to fruition. Even Trump’s loss in 2020 strengthened them on the state and local levels, while emboldening them on the national level. Starting in late 2022, we’re going to start seeing exactly how much.

51 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

I thought he meant abortions in Massachusetts.  

That’s what you get when you google “mass abortions”. So Bunker is either pulling the term out of his ear, or this is a phrase developed by the Internet Research Agency that's in the early days of field testing.

Edited by chasfh

6 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Failed how? Looks like everything important to the Republican Party is coming to fruition. Even Trump’s loss in 2020 strengthened them on the state and local levels, while emboldening them on the national level. Starting in late 2022, we’re going to start seeing exactly how much.

Failed in the sense that they thought they could control it.... which they cannot.

12 minutes ago, buddha said:

i think it will take some time to sort through and it will be different by state (of course).  texas will be interesting to see what ultimately happens 6 or 8 years from now.

6-8 years from now, we are likely to have national legislation that bans abortions.

1 minute ago, mtutiger said:

Failed in the sense that they thought they could control it.... which they cannot.

Control Trump? Maybe not the man himself, but they are certainly in control of the political fallout from his passing through the scene.

8 minutes ago, buddha said:

i doubt it, but we'll see.

You were likely the same one telling us they would never overturn Roe. If Biden wins another term, we will not have it in 6-8 years. The Republicans aren't going to nuke the filibuster and pass an abortion ban until they have the presidency. 

11 minutes ago, buddha said:

i doubt it, but we'll see.

Maybe you are right, but at a minimum, there will 100% be a real push to do it... as stated before, if the base feels as strongly as they do on this issue, they aren't going to quietly sit back and allow states like Illinois or NY to exercise their ability to have laws allowing for it. I dont buy it.

But even the 6-8 year question for Texas, it really isn't interesting at all... we have a trigger law that is gonna be exercised if Roe is overturned, and there's little reason to believe it goes away anytime soon.

Edited by mtutiger

Just now, Motown Bombers said:

You were likely the same one telling us they would never overturn Roe. If Biden wins another term, we will not have it in 6-8 years. The Republicans aren't going to nuke the filibuster and pass an abortion ban until they have the presidency. 

i said i didnt think they would overturn roe/casey, i thought roberts would come to some decision that whittles away at it but not outright dismissing it.  that could still happen, btw.

Just now, mtutiger said:

Maybe you are right, but at a minimum, there will 100% be a real push to do it.

But even the 6-8 year question for Texas, it really isn't interesting at all... we have a trigger law that is gonna be exercised if Roe is overturned, and there's little reason to believe it goes away anytime soon.

it'll take a couple of election cycles to work itself out.

at the very least, if roe/casey is overturned, more states laws will reflect the preference of the voters in those states.  blue states will continue to allow abortion on demand, and a lot of red states will not allow abortion at all.  the purple states (or the purple-ish states like texas and florida) will be interesting to see where they go.

i dont think a national abortion ban will happen.  there will be lots of talk about it, but it would be very unpopular.

1 minute ago, buddha said:

at the very least, if roe/casey is overturned, more states laws will reflect the preference of the voters in those states.  blue states will continue to allow abortion on demand, and a lot of red states will not allow abortion at all.  the purple states (or the purple-ish states like texas and florida) will be interesting to see where they go.

i dont think a national abortion ban will happen.  there will be lots of talk about it, but it would be very unpopular.

The Republicans running for statewide office in Michigan support strict bans. There is no moderate Republican party anymore. The days of Rick Snyder are over. 

2 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

McConnell's work is done. He's got the conservative majority on the Supreme Court for the foreseeable future. The next senate majority leader will be even worse. Just wait until Josh Hawley or Ted Cruz is senate majority leader. 

nobody likes ted cruz, he wont be senate majority leader.  and he's not a strategic thinker who puts the party's interests above her personal interests.  ted cruz only cares about his mentions on twitter.  

i dont know about hawley, but he strikes me as more cruz-ian and interested more in hawley than getting republicans in line with a successful national strategy, although i think he's more of a strategic thinker than cruz.

mike lee maybe?  i would say tim scott but i think he has national ambitions as a future vp.  romney is out for sure.  not sure who else is out there.

1 minute ago, Motown Bombers said:

The Republicans running for statewide office in Michigan support strict bans. There is no moderate Republican party anymore. The days of Rick Snyder are over. 

you may be right.  hope not.  we'll see.

1 minute ago, buddha said:

nobody likes ted cruz, he wont be senate majority leader.  and he's not a strategic thinker who puts the party's interests above her personal interests.  ted cruz only cares about his mentions on twitter.  

i dont know about hawley, but he strikes me as more cruz-ian and interested more in hawley than getting republicans in line with a successful national strategy, although i think he's more of a strategic thinker than cruz.

mike lee maybe?  i would say tim scott but i think he has national ambitions as a future vp.  romney is out for sure.  not sure who else is out there.

Mike Lee was texting with the Trump on how to overturn the election. I feel so relieved. 

2 minutes ago, buddha said:

you may be right.  hope not.  we'll see.

James Craig will sign any abortion bill that comes on his desk. Guaranteed. I do think there is a better chance that Whitmer wins re-election but the fact is a Republican is going to win Michigan at some point. They are also going to do everything they can at that point to prevent the people in Detroit from voting to maintain their control of the state. 

1 minute ago, gehringer_2 said:

LMAO. Keep pumping the fantasy. There is no "we'll see", it's "HAVE SEEN."

The naivety is astounding. The Republican candidates don't even have to be nutcases. As we have seen with Trump, Republicans fall in line. They all criticized Trump and said he was unfit until he won. If the Michigan legislature passes a strict abortion ban, a Republican governor will sign it. 

4 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

LMAO. Keep pumping the fantasy. There is no "we'll see", it's "HAVE SEEN."

I dont get the dismissiveness that nothing more will happen. But again, I see hardcore anti-choice pols in action everytime I flip on the morning news where I live, so nothing would surprise me at this point 

Edited by mtutiger

33 minutes ago, buddha said:

at the very least, if roe/casey is overturned, more states laws will reflect the preference of the voters in those states. 

Is this true though?

Polls of Texas continually show that a majority of Texans support a right to choose in at least some cases, while the Texas GOP legislates otherwise.

The only thing it tells me is that there are far more single-issue pro-life voters than pro-choice voters.

15 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

I dont get the dismissiveness that nothing more will happen. But again, I see hardcore anti-choice pols in action everytime I flip on the morning news where I live, so nothing would surprise me at this point 

i dont think im being dismissive that "nothing more will happen."  i think things will happen in red states, that i said before.  i just dont think a national ban will happen.

but i could be wrong.