SCOTUS and whatnot

pfife

5 hours ago, pfife said:

the fillibuster is way more valuable to the GOP than a national abortion ban is.   Why get rid of the fillibuster when you can just add it to a reconciliation bill and fire the parliamentarian if and when they declare the ban not eligible for reconciliation?

The legislative fillbuster constrains many more Democratic priorities than GOP priorities.  They'd be dumb to get rid of it. 

it also allows them to placate their crazy base while not actually passing something wildly unpopular like a nationwide abortion ban.  they can say "we tried all year long to pass the ban but those darn democracts just filibuster everything...grrr..."

12 minutes ago, buddha said:

it also allows them to placate their crazy base while not actually passing something wildly unpopular like a nationwide abortion ban.  they can say "we tried all year long to pass the ban but those darn democracts just filibuster everything...grrr..."

This is exactly what we were told about Roe. 

4 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

I'm actually confused what his position is. I thought Manchin would have been a yes. 

I had thought this was assumed..

Schumer doesn't want this vote because he thinks he can win, the best he can do is have it for the record for Nov.

Edited by gehringer_2

3 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

I had thought this was assumed..

Schumer doesn't want this vote because he thinks he can win, the best he can do is have it for the record for Nov.

I understand that. He says he will not vote for this legislation but for Roe codification so I'm not sure what exactly he is supporting. Given that Tester is supporting it and pro life Democrat Bob Casey is as well, I had hopes Manchin would come around since overturning Roe is even unpopular amongst Republicans. 

1) Hoarding in 2020 led to an over supply at home and analysts couldn't predict the demand

2) A small baby boom in 2022 and decline in breastfeeding

3) A pathogen at a MI processing plant

4) Silly regulations on labeling requirements from Europe

and

U.S. policy also restricts the importation of formula that does meet FDA requirements. At high volumes, the tax on formula imports can exceed 17 percent. And under President Donald Trump, the U.S. entered into a new North American trade agreement that actively discourages formula imports from our largest trading partner, Canada.