SCOTUS and whatnot

pfife

Just now, chasfh said:

How can Biden veto a state's abortion ban?

Like I said, if they start doing it in states it will set up the same situation as they are in now. He will veto any federal legislation but if states start lowering the boom prior to 2024, it's going to put them in an unfavorable race prior to 2024. 

Just now, Motown Bombers said:

Like I said, if they start doing it in states it will set up the same situation as they are in now. He will veto any federal legislation but if states start lowering the boom prior to 2024, it's going to put them in an unfavorable race prior to 2024. 

Maybe. Or maybe in two years we'll all have problems worse than this staring us down. Republicans will make sure of that.

This has been in the works since the '80's.  I don't know why anyone is acting surprised.  

I have little faith that the Democrats can capitalize on any of this.  They still don't get the game has changed.  They can't get any kind of unified message.  When you have Joe Biden praising Mitch McConnell, how can anyone expect to get anything done?  While Biden was a no brainer over Trump, his time has passed, along with Pelosi, Schumer, etc.  They need to pass the torch to the next generation who gets how this all works.  

Just now, Kacie said:

This has been in the works since the '80's.  I don't know why anyone is acting surprised.  

I have little faith that the Democrats can capitalize on any of this.  They still don't get the game has changed.  They can't get any kind of unified message.  When you have Joe Biden praising Mitch McConnell, how can anyone expect to get anything done?  While Biden was a no brainer over Trump, his time has passed, along with Pelosi, Schumer, etc.  They need to pass the torch to the next generation who gets how this all works.  

What specifically should Biden be doing? Issue an executive order legalizing abortion? 

The house passed a bill codifying abortion. What else is Pelosi suppose to be doing? How does this work? What would the next generation that can't be bothered to vote do? 

49 of 50 Democratic senators voted to codify roe. What specifically is Schumer supposed to do? How does he end the filibuster when Sinema and Manchin are opposed? 

12 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

What specifically should Biden be doing? Issue an executive order legalizing abortion? 

The house passed a bill codifying abortion. What else is Pelosi suppose to be doing? How does this work? What would the next generation that can't be bothered to vote do? 

49 of 50 Democratic senators voted to codify roe. What specifically is Schumer supposed to do? How does he end the filibuster when Sinema and Manchin are opposed? 

They aren't going to have an answer because it's easier to complain.

At the end of the day, there's no real answer to this problem that doesn't involve more people voting and voting their values. Oblong hit on it the head, that includes my generation and younger.... we simply do not not show up at high enough levels of attrition, and our elders make our laws for us.

It's harsh, but it's the truth.

Edited by mtutiger

2 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

At the end of the day, there's no real answer to this problem that doesn't involve more people voting and voting their values. Oblong hit on it, that includes my generation and younger.... we simply do not not show up at high enough levels of attrition, and our elders make our laws for us.

The amazing thing is McConnell has been in the senate nearly 40 years and finally got Roe overturned. Schumer has been leader for two years and it's OMG Schumer can't get anything done. 

The funny thing about complaining about Biden complimenting McConnell is that Biden got a gun bill passed that needed more than 10 Republicans to vote for it. Maybe Biden knows how this works after all. 

26 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

At the end of the day, there's no real answer to this problem that doesn't involve more people voting and voting their values. Oblong hit on it the head, that includes my generation and younger.... we simply do not not show up at high enough levels of attrition, and our elders make our laws for us.

Gotta mobilize at the state and local level. I know that gerrymandering makes this an uphill battle, but how do the dem's expect to get any state majorities when they punt 40% of seats.

• Like 1

This video outlines why this move today should be very concerning to Republicans and their efforts in midterms and beyond.

I assume everyone knows Barstool Founder Dave Portnoy by now. If not,  he’s been very supportive of Trump and the right wing and about as anti-woke as you can get.   Hes got millions of 20 and 30 somethings that hang on his every word.   He is the mouthpiece of frat boy culture in America.   For him to break rank and say don’t vote GOP is something that would’ve never happened before.   He even clowned boot licker Dan Bongino on Twitter who tried to get him back into ranks. 

Edited by Hongbit

11 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

This video outlines why this move today should be very concerning to Republicans and their efforts in midterms and beyond.

I assume everyone knows Barstool Founder Dave Portnoy by now. If not,  he’s been very supportive of Trump and the right wing and about as anti-woke as you can get.   Hes got millions of 20 and 30 somethings that hang on his every word.   He is the mouthpiece of frat boy culture in America.   For him to break rank and say don’t vote GOP is something that would’ve never happened before.   He even clowned boot licker Dan Bongino on Twitter who tried to get him back into ranks. 

This is spot on.... the anti-abortion stance of the party and its legacy followers is in direct conflict with the younger, more hard edged folks attracted because of Democratic "cancel culture" and excesses. (Ie. Barstool/Joe Rogan types)

I dont know how much of a difference it makes, but the tension does exist

Edited by mtutiger

2 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

The amazing thing is McConnell has been in the senate nearly 40 years and finally got Roe overturned. Schumer has been leader for two years and it's OMG Schumer can't get anything done. 

The funny thing about complaining about Biden complimenting McConnell is that Biden got a gun bill passed that needed more than 10 Republicans to vote for it. Maybe Biden knows how this works after all. 

Has Schumer been able to get his entire party to align with him?  He has been in the Senate since 1999.  Overturning Roe v. Wade is the only thing the Republicans have done in the past 40 years? Biden got the "gun bill" passed, but it's not Biden's fault he can't get his own party to codify abortion?  He can't get Collins and Murkowski to vote with him, though they are supposedly pro choice?  Biden has it all figured out, yet here we are.  

3 minutes ago, Kacie said:

Has Schumer been able to get his entire party to align with him?  He has been in the Senate since 1999.  Overturning Roe v. Wade is the only thing the Republicans have done in the past 40 years? Biden got the "gun bill" passed, but it's not Biden's fault he can't get his own party to codify abortion?  He can't get Collins and Murkowski to vote with him, though they are supposedly pro choice?  Biden has it all figured out, yet here we are.  

McConnell had his whole party in line when Susan Collins voted not to confirm Coney Barrett or when Murkowski voted not to confirm Kavanaugh, but guess what, he had the buffer to do it. We all know McConnell had his party in line when McCain famously struck down the Obamacare repeal. Besides confirming judges and tax breaks, what else has the Republican senate done? That's all they care about. 

Explain to me what steps Biden needs to take to force Manchin and Sinema to end the filibuster. 

Between the house and senate, 267 Democrats voted to codify Roe. Two voted no. ZERO Republicans voted to codify Roe. Every justice who voted to overturn Roe was nominated by a Republican. All of them were confirmed by a majority of Republicans. All of the justices who voted to protect Roe were nominated by Democrats and confirmed by a majority of Democrats. Here we are blaming Democrats for Republicans overturning Roe. Absolutely insanity. 

9 minutes ago, Kacie said:

Biden got the "gun bill" passed, but it's not Biden's fault he can't get his own party to codify abortion? 

Can you detail how Elizabeth Warren would have? Or Bernie? Or another D?

The dynamics of the Senate are what they are. They have a 50/50 majority that hinges basically entirely on a Senator sitting in an R 30+ state. They were lucky to even have a 50/50 majority even, it took until the Georgia runoff to get there.

I dont like it anymore than you do. But literally the only answer is to elect a big enough majority where you can make these changes. Its an unsatisfying answer, but I dont know what to tell you. I wasn't the one who built this ****ty governmental system we operate in.

3 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

McConnell had his whole party in line when Susan Collins voted not to confirm Coney Barrett or when Murkowski voted not to confirm Kavanaugh, but guess what, he had the buffer to do it. We all know McConnell had his party in line when McCain famously struck down the Obamacare repeal. Besides confirming judges and tax breaks, what else has the Republican senate done? That's all they care about. 

Explain to me what steps Biden needs to take to force Manchin and Sinema to end the filibuster. 

Between the house and senate, 267 Democrats voted to codify Roe. Two voted no. ZERO Republicans voted to codify Roe. Every justice who voted to overturn Roe was nominated by a Republican. All of them were confirmed by a majority of Republicans. All of the justices who voted to protect Roe were nominated by Democrats and confirmed by a majority of Democrats. Here we are blaming Democrats for Republicans overturning Roe. Absolutely insanity. 

It wouldnt be the Democratic Party if it wasn't a circular firing squad lol 

3 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

The funny thing about complaining about Biden complimenting McConnell is that Biden got a gun bill passed that needed more than 10 Republicans to vote for it. Maybe Biden knows how this works after all

You tell me.  Since Biden knows how this all works and he got the gun bill passed.  Those were your words.   *He* got 10 Republicans to vote for it, right?  Why can't he get 2 Democrats and or a Republican to vote for an abortion bill?   You're trying to both sides this.  If he gets credit for getting the gun bill passed, he should then receive criticism for not getting the abortion bill passed.

3 minutes ago, Kacie said:

You tell me.  Since Biden knows how this all works and he got the gun bill passed.  Those were your words.   *He* got 10 Republicans to vote for it, right?  Why can't he get 2 Democrats and or a Republican to vote for an abortion bill?   You're trying to both sides this.  If he gets credit for getting the gun bill passed, he should then receive criticism for not getting the abortion bill passed.

Probably because there was more willingness from Republicans to work on the gun bill. If what it took was a little flattery of McConnell to get it done, then so be it. 

Go ahead with your firing squad on Democrats. Just remember that 267 out of 269 Democrats, or 99%, voted to codify Roe and zero, not even a single Republican, voted to codify Roe. Every justice that voted to overturn Roe was nominated by a Republican. Every justice that voted to overturn Roe was confirmed by a Republican majority. Every justice who upheld Roe was appointed by a Democrat and confirmed by a Democratic majority. Every state that has passed abortion bans have been red states. Every state that has codified abortion have been blue states. Go ahead, blame Biden and the Democrats instead of the Republicans.

You still haven't told me what Pelosi is suppose to do after getting 218 out of 219 Democrats to codify Roe or what Schumer is suppose to do who got 49 out of 50 Democrats to codify Roe. What exactly is Joe Biden supposed to do? How does he get a senator from a state that Trump won by 30 points to make the unpopular decision to end the filibuster? Explain to me what this new generation of Democrat would have done differently.