2023 Michigan Football

djhutch

A few days ago I said that the idea of Michigan leaving the B1G would be ridiculous. Now? I’m less certain. I don’t see them irrationally joining the ACC or SEC, but it wouldn’t shock me to see them explore the idea of independence.

The B1G’s media deal needs Michigan more than Michigan needs conference affiliation. There is no conference loyalty anymore. They could be the next Notre Dame, other than the part where Brian Kelly killed a kid.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

A few days ago I said that the idea of Michigan leaving the B1G would be ridiculous. Now? I’m less certain. I don’t see them irrationally joining the ACC or SEC, but it wouldn’t shock me to see them explore the idea of independence.

The B1G’s media deal needs Michigan more than Michigan needs conference affiliation. There is no conference loyalty anymore. They could be the next Notre Dame, other than the part where Brian Kelly killed a kid.

Yeah Michigan should be on the phone tonight to SEC, ACC, ABC, CBS, NBC, ESPN, Amazon Prime, etc. 

4 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

It was a pretty bad defense.

I think they moved the goalposts though. M’s argument wasn’t ‘yeah but what about them they do it too’, it was ‘you’re rushing to judgement about something you don’t understand, this investigation should be much larger than it is if you really want to pick this fight’

Still has a flavor of whataboutism, but the substance of the argument isn’t what the B1G characterized it as.

13 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I think they moved the goalposts though. M’s argument wasn’t ‘yeah but what about them they do it too’, it was ‘you’re rushing to judgement about something you don’t understand, this investigation should be much larger than it is if you really want to pick this fight’

Still has a flavor of whataboutism, but the substance of the argument isn’t what the B1G characterized it as.

Right. I think Michigan understands that if they engaged in illegal activity, they should and will be punished in due course by the NCAA. But the basis for the BIG’s sense of urgency and need for emergency early punishment was so-called player safety and competitive advantage. Which other widespread sign “decoding” blows out of the water. 

Edited by lordstanley
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

Right. I think Michigan understands that if they engaged in illegal activity, they should and will be punished in due course by the NCAA. But the basis for the BIG’s sense of urgency and need for emergency early punishment was so-called player safety and competitive advantage. Which other widespread sign “decoding” blows out of the water. 

And now Michigan knows it is considered a lesser member of the B1G by the B1G and is given fewer rights and considerations than other teams and so it should plan accordingly.

Michigan shouldn’t lose sight of the fact that the NCAA brought this case to the B1G.  Even if UM outmaneuvers the conference in court and stymies any suspension now, the case could very well end up coming back to the NCAA.  They will at least wait after the season to do an investigation but I’d expect any punishment from them to be far greater than a 3 week game day only suspension for Harbaugh.  

19 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

Michigan shouldn’t lose sight of the fact that the NCAA brought this case to the B1G.  Even if UM outmaneuvers the conference in court and stymies any suspension now, the case could very well end up coming back to the NCAA.  They will at least wait after the season to do an investigation but I’d expect any punishment from them to be far greater than a 3 week game day only suspension for Harbaugh.  

Yeah the BIG document, read objectively, makes it pretty clear that the NCAA is on its way to a guilty finding and a not insignificant punishment. So why wouldn’t the BIG just let that play out instead of doing NCAA’s dirty work and quite possibly blowing up their own conference in the meantime. 

Edited by lordstanley

6 hours ago, Edman85 said:

You didn't read the letter where the SEC was one of the entities that cooperated and ratted on them. Hell, I'd bet that's where the PI was originally hired.

In part my comment was made in jest.  That said, I absolutely can see the SEC pushing against Michigan right now to help increase the chances of two SEC teams.  If come next year they can bring in some Michigan money into the SEC though.... i'm sure they would be all too willing to talk.