2023 Michigan Football

djhutch

36 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I re-watched the game last night and I didn’t realize that the 30+ consecutive runs wasn’t exactly organic. Moore didn’t say “we aren’t going to pass”, in fact there were three pass plays called in that sequence. One JJ took off when coverage was solid, one screen never got off because of a timeout, and one deep shot got called for DPI.

The headline of so many consecutive runs would make you think the pass was abandoned but it’s really just how it turned out.

Sherrone Moore will make a great coach at a service academy.  :--)

1 hour ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I re-watched the game last night and I didn’t realize that the 30+ consecutive runs wasn’t exactly organic. Moore didn’t say “we aren’t going to pass”, in fact there were three pass plays called in that sequence. One JJ took off when coverage was solid, one screen never got off because of a timeout, and one deep shot got called for DPI.

The headline of so many consecutive runs would make you think the pass was abandoned but it’s really just how it turned out.

Exactly. A fun narrative but not the reality. 

Edited by gehringer_2

Interesting part of the conversation

• Possible future: show USC that they're in danger from this same thing (they are), see what Notre Dame is doing, maybe go after Texas, and then sad to say if this Ultra-conference gets any legs Ohio State will come. This is what the other Big Ten schools should be concerned about: other than OSU and to a much lesser degree Penn State, they all have sweet deals, and the way they lose it is if a Michigan or Ohio State no longer wants to share revenue with them. Rutgers, MSU, Northwestern, Indiana: if you are relegated to mid-majors in a decade, this is what you did.

i get michigan is aggrieved, but the future of college football is two super conferences and michigan isnt leaving one of them and forming some new one on its own.

texas, usc, and notre dame arent leaving their gigs because michigan got mad its coach got a 3 game suspension.

there really isnt anything they can do about it, despite their status as the other 800 pound gorilla in the conference.  youre going to bite the bullet this time and realize everyone hates you, just like you didnt leave the conference when they added msu over your objection and you didnt leave the conference when they voted osu to the rose bowl over you because franklin got hurt.

tony pettiti might have handled this poorly, but to the other 13 teams in the conference, he handled it just fine.  the big ten is not just michigan and if michigan were to leave, they could go get notre dame and it would be a wash.

mgoblog's perception of michigan's status in the world is much more outsized than it really is, imo.

with all that said, part of me really wants michigan to go the sec.  lol.

the rational part of me doesnt, because the rational part of me likes playing purdue and indiana and minnesota every year because they always beat them.

the irrational part of me wants to stick it to the big ten.  but that's just a lot of sour grapes on my part.

31 minutes ago, buddha said:

I get michigan is aggrieved, but the future of college football is two super conferences and michigan isnt leaving one of them and forming some new one on its own.

But that's the thing isn't it? BIG cannot turn into a super conference because there is no legal mechanism to jettison the 2nd tier teams and they will never leave on their own, so B1G as it stands is dead man walking as a future conference as far as I can see. I would guess a guy like Ono who spent more time on college athletics issues than your average academic can see this as well.

Everyone is predicting super conferences - and for good reason, but they aren't seeing that those super-conferences are going to have to be new organizations. You can't get there from the old orgs.

Edited by gehringer_2

Michigan's grievance was the sudden unappealable, no due process punishment based on ill-informed and emotional info op by its rivals when they were guilty of acts just as unpardonable.  If the future B1G does not include a fix to that, leave and leave soon.  Unless they judge that its cold out there and the appetite for Michigan football is not an extra 4 million eyeballs a game no matter who the opponent.  

But the B1G could apologize. 

Edited by romad1

31 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

But that's the thing isn't it? BIG cannot turn into a super conference because there is no legal mechanism to jettison the 2nd tier teams and they will never leave on their own, so B1G as it stands is dead man walking as a future conference as far as I can see. I would guess a guy like Ono who spent more time on college athletics issues than your average academic can see this as well.

Everyone is predicting super conferences - and for good reason, but they aren't seeing that those super-conferences are going to have to be new organizations. You can't get there from the old orgs.

michigan being sanctioned for bull**** is not going to hasten that process.  the broadcast companies will hasten the process the next time the sec/big ten contracts are up in 6 or 7 years.  by that time, 90% of the players in the current drama will be elsewhere.

michigan is currently throwing a temper tantrum; an understandable temper tantrum, but a temper tantrum nonetheless.

mgoblog, et al are mad and their venting at the rest of the conference players who threw michigan under the bus for this silliness.  sure.  but michigan is not leading the charge to abandon college football as we know it.  its not happening no matter how cool it would be.

so who forms this new league?  

top tier:

michigan, ohio state, penn state, usc, washington, texas, oklahoma, alabama, georgia, lsu, florida, florida state, notre dame.

next tier brought on by proximity to top tier:

ucla, michigan state, oregon, miami, auburn, texas a & m, clemson.

that's 20.

who else gets in?

north carolina for sure but probably not duke.  colorado maybe?  arizona for the phoenix market?  stanford or cal?  probably not if they couldnt even make the big ten cut.  boston college?  

the easier thing to do would be to just take the big ten and sec, add notre dame, north carolina, clemson, and florida state (and maybe miami) and start from there.

part of me would love to see michigan casting the vote to exclude purdue, illinois, and rutgers.

4 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

Loss. 

I wonder what changed, or if they really just saw they were going to lose tomorrow. You’d think they would see it as worth a shot, unless maybe the B1G or NCAA told them that they would plan to vacate wins if they secured a TRO but lost the ultimate case, or even that the NCAA would suspend him for all of 2024 if he didn’t drop it.

Lots of saber rattling to drop the court case before it’s even heard.

2 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I wonder what changed, or if they really just saw they were going to lose tomorrow. You’d think they would see it as worth a shot, unless maybe the B1G or NCAA told them that they would plan to vacate wins if they secured a TRO but lost the ultimate case, or even that the NCAA would suspend him for all of 2024 if he didn’t drop it.

Lots of saber rattling to drop the court case before it’s even heard.

But have they got anything from the NCAA in this? Sounds like the BIG is dropping it but the NCAA is continuing their investigation.  

Conferences don’t mean anything that they used to. There is no tradition, or academic prestige, or history at play any more. It’s all money. And with that being the case, it doesn’t make sense for the Michigans, Ohio States, and USCs of the world to invite the Rutgers, Northwesterns, or Vanderbilts of the world to the table.

If Michigan was serious about entertaining the formation of a new league, I think they probably band with USC, Texas, Notre Dame, Alabama, and Georgia. That’s your proverbial Original 6. From there, you converse on how large you want the league to be and who is worthy of an invite. Invites are based on football money exclusively, and the member institutions leave their conferences for football only.

7 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

Exactly. I’m not seeing the quid pro quo.

There must be more damaging info. Because it it was just a case of Michigan maybe not getting the injunction, would have been better to take chances in court. If Michigan had accepted a 2-game suspension, that could have been spun as both sides compromising. Michigan agrees to meaningful suspension but still has coach for the Game. Instead, for whatever reason Michigan became willing to accept defeat on this.