2023 Michigan Football

djhutch

I thought it was interesting that Stalion had not turned in any expense reports. Now maybe that was because a 55K/yr staffer didn't have expense account privileges in the first place,  and on one hand you could can say that's evidence he was doing everything he did on his own........Or someone was just being sure to any  reimbursements were sub rosa 🤔

Edited by gehringer_2

I recall a couple of things Cowherd said last week. One, that the running to the NCAA that started all this a month or so might have come from within. Two, that the regents were 100% united behind Harbaugh for now (last week) but he sensed that could change quickly if more came out, specifically if this went beyond Stalions. 

Edited by lordstanley

6 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

Didn't it always have to go beyond Stalions?  I never bought the lone wolf theory.

He actually put a ton of effort and work into doing this.  No way he would continue doing so if nobody was taking and  using the info.  

Oh I was sure people were taking and using the info. My thinking was that it could have been in his best interests to hide from everyone how he was obtaining this info, so that he would look like a genius to his bosses rather than a short-cutter. I also was prepared to minimize because I see Stalions as a low level staffer, not an actual member of the coaching staff. This now involves an assistant coach and that is enough to make Harbaugh’s suspension warranted. It is up to Harbaugh to instill a culture among his coaching stuff that there will be zero tolerance for rule infractions, no matter how silly a rule might be. 

https://www.si.com/college/2023/11/17/big-ten-pulled-offer-to-reduce-michigan-harbaugh-suspension

Earlier this week, the Big Ten indicated it was willing to cut Jim Harbaugh’s suspension from three games to two—allowing Harbaugh to coach his undefeated Michigan team’s regular-season finale against Ohio State, two people familiar with the settlement talks tell Sports Illustrated.

Then the NCAA presented the Big Ten with new information in its investigation of Michigan’s sign-stealing. The Big Ten, in turn, presented it to Michigan, and Harbaugh and the school agreed to drop their legal challenge and accept his three-game suspension, a person aware of the situation says.

7 minutes ago, buddha said:

ncaa two years ago: this provides minimal advantage if any and we need to address whether we need this rule at all.  

ncaa after it finds out someone on jim harbaugh's staff did it: this is the worst scandal in big ten history.

it's laughable.

Why were coaches destroying evidence if there was nothing to hide? I am sure you are a fantastic lawyer, I just don't understand how you and Romad can't get past this.

1 minute ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

Why were coaches destroying evidence if there was nothing to hide? I am sure you are a fantastic lawyer, I just don't understand how you and Romad can't get past this.

i just dont understand the difference.  if you steal signs at a game, and then pass them to another team to use, that's fine.  if someone videotapes it in person on their iphone who is on your staff, that's wrong.

what's the difference?  why is one "ok" and the other is the "worst scandal in big ten history"?

to me, the coach's argument is "we've all stolen signs and passed them to other teams, but that's happened for years so its ok."  is that a real justification for the rule?

i have always said: if michigan broke rules they should face a penalty.  and they have.  but the penalty does not fit the crime, imo.  especially when other programs do basically the same thing but in a mildly different way and its not a big deal.  its not even against the rules.  

I don't have sympathy for Stalions, the coaching staff, Harbaugh, the alum, the "insiders", boosters, fans, broadcasters, regents, Santa, whoever. The only victims in this are the players. They're getting jobbed for others' mistakes and dishonesty. If they can somehow compartmentalize this and beat Maryland and OSU and Iowa, to me they'll be the greatest Michigan football team ever. Although with all this swirling, they likely won't be given credit for that by others.

1 minute ago, lordstanley said:

I don't have sympathy for Stalions, the coaching staff, Harbaugh, the alum, the "insiders", boosters, fans, broadcasters, regents, Santa, whoever. The only victims in this are the players. They're getting jobbed for others' mistakes and dishonesty. If they can somehow compartmentalize this and beat Maryland and OSU and Iowa, to me they'll be the greatest Michigan football team ever. Although with all this swirling, they likely won't be given credit for that by others.

why is this a big deal to you?  because of the public perception?