2023 Michigan Football

djhutch

1 hour ago, romad1 said:

dunno about this but

This doesn't really parse. If Warde thought Harbaugh was so much a loose cannon threatening the long term health of the program that he was willing to deliberately rat him out because the Admin was intent on keeping him over Warde's objections, then I can't see Warde not walking when the admin decided to make the extension offer to Harbaugh. Warde doesn't need Michigan any more than Harbaugh does - it wouldn't take him more than 10 minutes to get another AD offer.

Edited by gehringer_2

10 minutes ago, buddha said:

i doubt michigan would be a place for a lot of those guys unless they are guys michigan recruited previously and knows it can get past michigan's academic admissions department.

I never really believed this to be as big of an issue as some Michigan people made it in the past.  I definitely don’t believe it exists in any real fashion in this day and age.   

7 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Yeah - this is where he's just being greedy. He's wants the U to leave his offer on the table so he can wait out the NFL decision process, that's a bad deal for the U if he walks anyway and Moore (or whoever) is left with no time to put next year's team together. If Buddha is right and his mind is made up to go the U at least gets their $1.5M back if they stand pat without sweetening the current offer.

It sucks for Michigan that they’ve been put under the gun and have to move quickly to get this contract together now.  It would’ve been so much easier had they had almost a year to figure this whole thing out…oh wait.  

Just now, Hongbit said:

I never really believed this to be as big of an issue as some Michigan people made it in the past.  I definitely don’t believe it exists in any real fashion in this day and age.   

I don't know the details on how they get around whatever constitutes admissions 'standards', and these kids would be transfers anyway. What I think does matter is that regardless of how they came to college, most B1G teams do want kids who will put in the work to try to graduate because programs do get pressure and bad press when graduation rates go down.

5 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

It sucks for Michigan that they’ve been put under the gun and have to move quickly to get this contract together now.  It would’ve been so much easier had they had almost a year to figure this whole thing out…oh wait.  

It's also not like he didn't already have a contract that he is only  half way through....

Situations are fluid. if M had lost to PSU and OSU there would be no offer on the table at all.

Edited by gehringer_2

19 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

it exists for sure.  xavier worthy being a prime example.  look at the basketball team, they lost terrance shannon and caleb love because the school would not take transfer credits from north carolina or texas tech.  they would have had to come in a year behind where they actually were because the university wont takr their credits.

look, this isnt me as a michigan fan bragging about the high standards of michigan preventing them from getting recruits or saying how michigan recruits are somehow better students.  theyre not.  this is just the admissions department having a stick up their ass about accepting credits that dont 100% align with michigan classes.  heck, the guys they got from STANFORD had to drop some credits when they transferred.

its been a huge issue for the basketball team.  the football team has been able to get by with grad transfers, stanford-northwestern-virginia transfers, and guys who were previously recruited and vetted (josiah stewart).  it could be an issue getting in guys who werent previously vetted.

again, this isnt a brag its an annoyance.

• Thanks 1

harbaugh is not using the nfl for leverage with michigan.  he has 1000% leverage with michigan already.

if harbaugh leaves and comes out and says he had issues with jim stapleton and warde manuel, warde manuel will be fired and jim stapleton will be run out of town.  harbaugh got michigan a national championship in the one thing they care about.  

30 minutes ago, romad1 said:

I wish Beilein wasn't passed his likely sell-by date. 

i wish he didnt have the desire to go to the pros and have an owner dumb enough to hire him.  a guy like john beilein was never going to work in an nba full of prima donnas.  and it didnt.  they made up some bull**** and got him fired over it.

22 minutes ago, buddha said:

i wish he didnt have the desire to go to the pros and have an owner dumb enough to hire him.  a guy like john beilein was never going to work in an nba full of prima donnas.  and it didnt.  they made up some bull**** and got him fired over it.

I hope Jim Harbaugh talks to John Beilein this week. 

6 hours ago, buddha said:

harbaugh is not using the nfl for leverage with michigan.  he has 1000% leverage with michigan already.

if harbaugh leaves and comes out and says he had issues with jim stapleton and warde manuel, warde manuel will be fired and jim stapleton will be run out of town.  harbaugh got michigan a national championship in the one thing they care about.  

IDK - I don't think you should underestimate how much big institutions hate being played -- even when it's by the goose that laid the golden egg. You see orgs dump successful people all the time even at the cost of shooting themselves in the foot because of the 'no-one is bigger than the org' imperative (which ironically is football mantra...). I don't claim any knowledge of where on the spectrum JH and the 'U' are those scales, I'm just saying I would not be surprised by either an extension announcement or a 'see ya later' kiss off. That kind of organizational dynamic is just unpredictable. There is always someone further up the food chain that can force the org to take the hit if they get sufficiently ticked off.

Edited by gehringer_2

55 minutes ago, romad1 said:

Shift in the Vegas line suddenly has Jim staying.  hmmm... that's interesting.  

I just checked DraftKings and Chargers are still a big favorite at -250 and No NFL Job (aka Michigan) is +175.  

1 hour ago, romad1 said:

I guess Vrabel did an in-person interview with the Chargers and didn't talk about "deez nuts" or his chickens.

Edited by romad1

1 hour ago, romad1 said:

If you believe the NCAA is going to hammer him - say suspend him for a season (which is why he wants an employment guarantee to ride such a thing out) then you would believe he's likely to go as opposed to missing a year at M and possibly getting fired anyway. OTOH, if you believe nothing from the NCAA is going to amount to anything (recent comments from the NCAA pres about M being a deserving champion for instance.....) then you'd likely believe this is just the annual Harbaugh attempt to extort better terms from M before doing what he want to do - stay at Michigan.

I don't know who would actually have any solid intelligence on what the NCAA is going to do. Other than that I don't have any strong believe one way or the other. I think he really does love being a college coach - pro coaches don't get that kind of hero on a pedestal from their players that Harbaugh loves. But he also wants to one-up big brother in the worst way as well. So we can all keep guessing until he decides...

Just now, gehringer_2 said:

If you believe the NCAA is going to hammer him - say suspend him for a season (which is why he wants an employment guarantee to ride such a thing out) then you would believe he's likely to go as opposed to missing a year at M and possibly getting fired anyway. OTOH, if you believe nothing from the NCAA is going to amount to anything (recent comments from the NCAA pres about M being a deserving champion for instance.....) then you'd likely believe this is just the annual Harbaugh attempt to extort better terms from M before doing what he want to do - stay at Michigan.

I don't know who would actually have any solid intelligence on what the NCAA is going to do. Other than that I don't have any strong believe one way or the other. I think he really does love being a college coach - pro coaches don't get that kind of hero on a pedestal from their players that Harbaugh loves. But he also wants to one-up big brother in the worst way as well. So we can all keep guessing until he decides...

why dont you think harbaugh wants to go to the nfl?

23 minutes ago, buddha said:

why dont you think harbaugh wants to go to the nfl?

I think he does, it's just not the only thing he wants to do and he can't to all the thing he wants to.

I think it comes down to Harbaugh wanting to win a SB in the worst way. But that is a single objective. The man loves the college game and players much more than the pros. On a personal level he was anything but a happy camper with his experience in SF. He has loved the life he has at M. 

So how do you come down between a thing you want to do and the life you prefer to live? Beats me but I believe that is why he is always going in both directions at once.

Edited by gehringer_2

he accomplished his mission at michigan, he's free to leave.

if he does leave, i cant see michigan staying at this level for long.  theyre really the only program that got to compete with the big boys without big boy star recruits.  i think that's 100% harbaugh.  im not sure anyone else can do it.

i would love to be proven wrong.  and i dont think michigan is going to use their NIL like the ohio state's and alabama's of the world use their's (i.e.: against the actual rules).  i cant see michigan offering players millions (or even hundreds of thousands) up front.

22 minutes ago, buddha said:

if he does leave, i cant see michigan staying at this level for long.  theyre really the only program that got to compete with the big boys without big boy star recruits.  i think that's 100% harbaugh.  im not sure anyone else can do it.

I think this assumes that Sherrone Moore is equal to Harbaugh at recruiting, or worse.

Three straight trips to the semis and a championship should allow for a bump in recruiting. Harbaugh - for one reason or another (not the least of which is this yearly dance with the NFL) - has not seen it happen.

I don’t think it’s crazy to think that Sherron Moore could come in and start punching above Harbaugh’s weight in recruiting. That said, I think there would simultaneously be a drop in development, as I agree that that piece is largely Harbaugh. Balancing the two, I agree it would be hard to stay as a national contender like this long-term, but at the same time I don’t think Michigan is destined to go back to 8-4 and an Outback Bowl a la Hoke.