2023 Michigan Football

djhutch

12 minutes ago, RedTeamGo! said:

What players? They brought back all their juniors who weren't being graded as first round picks, whoopdy do. 

Are you referring to the 6 transfers? Caleb Downs - OSU finished 2nd in his recruitment, he would have never left Bama if Saban didn't retire, most thought he was going to Georgia, but his father and brother were both spurned by Georgia, so he had no allegiance to them, I think he is certainly getting paid, but it wasn't just about money - if it was he would have gone to Miami or Texas A&M. Julian Sayin - A true freshman that left Bama because Saban retired, OSU finished 2nd in his recruitment, he has no bearing on the upcoming season. Judkins - sure. Will Howard - he came to OSU for one reason and one reason only - to boost his draft stock. He got a mid-round grade after last season and wants to see if he can propel himself to top 2 rounds. Seth McLaughlin - the C that was the laughinstock of the college football world 2 months ago - I highly doubt he is getting paid. Will Kachmarek - a TE from the Ohio University that grew up in Ohio, yeah, I bet they broke the bank on him. 

So, you are saying OSU spent "the whole offseason" buying 2 players? Didn't Michigan bring in more transfers before the 2023 season than OSU did this offseason, multiple of which they were obviously tampering with? Also, didn't Michigan start an entire NIL fund for the expressed purpose of bringing upperclassmen back for one more year? 

I have zero problem with that, by the way, but I just don't understand the faux outrage over OSU "buying" players this offseason. It is total nonsense and hypocritical. 

PS: Congrats on the championship. 

i'm not outraged by any of it!  i wish michigan would have outbid them!

and osu already self-reported violations about tampering with recruits (which doesnt bother me at all either) so they were making offers before the portal period even opened.  again, i dont care.

my comment was more directed to osu not taking michigan's recent ascendency laying down.  they spent a lot of money on this team, from chip kelly to bringing back a whole bunch of players who were very draftable.  that costs money.  osu media saying osu "finished second" for recruits is like michigan media saying michigan was in on recruits but they couldnt get into school, sometimes its true but its usually just an excuse to make us feel better that we didnt get a kid and cover for the coaching staff.  so even if a caleb downs said "osu finished second", he likely had other suitors and osu had to fend them off with some cash.

and that's perfectly legal and i'm fine with it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

I'm not going to speak for anyone else but for me it's not outrage, it's just frustration for the M fan that college revenue sports are moving into a future that most people at Michigan believe is one that is more favorable to OSU culturally and institutionally. And I'm not saying that in a pejorative way. I've done academic work over the years with OSU folks and worked with lots of students that have gone back and forth between the two places. Sport is all faux rivalry. OSU is a great institution, but it is a different one from Ann Arbor, different history, different alumni cohort and more generally, Michigan is not Ohio when it comes to football at all levels (other than the NFL - for now - 😉)

I get it, however, I think Michigan certainly has the capability of succeeding in the scenario you laid out

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
2 hours ago, Hongbit said:

The story that won’t go away.  This time Sherrone Moore is in the crosshairs.

rivals says its an old version and not the actual report.  michigan remains unbothered.

unknown if that's actually true.

21 hours ago, Hongbit said:

Bacon not immediately coming out with a denial is unusual.  I’m assuming he’ll have the approved spin up soon.  If not, this one may be bad for you Blue.  

The ESPN story isn’t horrible, really, but Michigan fans can’t claim everything is clean either. Thamel can be a biased jerk and still be closer to accurate than so-called “Michigan insiders” that some people take comfort from. I didn’t think Harbaugh should be suspended for three games, but he was. Nothing I’ve read makes me think a bowl ban or vacated wins or another Moore suspension is warranted, but with the NCAA you never know.  It’s an unpredictable jury. 

Edited by lordstanley

This is such a 2023 story. Everyone but the NCAA and select rival fans are so completely over this.

If Michigan can negotiate any result that doesn’t result in vacating wins or a postseason ban, they should do it. Give Harbaugh a five-year show cause, who cares. Give Sherrone a two-game suspension, whatever.

The program needs to move on.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

This is such a 2023 story. Everyone but the NCAA and select rival fans are so completely over this.

If Michigan can negotiate any result that doesn’t result in vacating wins or a postseason ban, they should do it. Give Harbaugh a five-year show cause, who cares. Give Sherrone a two-game suspension, whatever.

The program needs to move on.

Sucks for Netflix that everyone is so completely over this story.  They picked a horrible time to come out with their documentary.   They really should know better.  

The fact this story continues to hang on is a problem with not having a competent AD. 

1 hour ago, Hongbit said:

Sucks for Netflix that everyone is so completely over this story.  They picked a horrible time to come out with their documentary.   They really should know better.  

The fact this story continues to hang on is a problem with not having a competent AD. 

That’s kind of my point. It’s time for the 30 for 30 and Netflix documentary on this. Make the soap opera a profitable drama series.

Not time for the NCAA to say “AKTUALLY guyz this is still a very serious situation because they didn’t want to talk to us! 🤓

I agree that Warde should have played nice and blamed Jim Harbaugh for all of these mortal sins the second Harbaugh left Michigan. Probably would have put a stop to the leaks and put Michigan on the road to resolving this.

"Clinkscale is accused of helping a recruit get verified on Instagram and of writing a $100 check for a golf charity event run by a recruit's father. Former Michigan linebackers coach Chris Partridge and ex-DC Minter are accused of Level 2 violations for allegedly sending text messages to a high school sophomore recruit."

helping a recruit get verified on instagram!!!!!  sending text messages to a sophomore!!!!!

wont someone please think of the children!!!!!

6 minutes ago, buddha said:

"Clinkscale is accused of helping a recruit get verified on Instagram and of writing a $100 check for a golf charity event run by a recruit's father. Former Michigan linebackers coach Chris Partridge and ex-DC Minter are accused of Level 2 violations for allegedly sending text messages to a high school sophomore recruit."

helping a recruit get verified on instagram!!!!!  sending text messages to a sophomore!!!!!

wont someone please think of the children!!!!!

The whole organization is risible and it's entire premise is superfluous in a world of paid athletes. When does the whole facade collapse under the weight of its own contradictions? Can't be soon enough.

big, bad jim harbaugh is gone.  the ncaa will look for a new boogeyman.  now that the guy who said they were a farce, that athletes should be paid, who tried to do camps in sec country, who said transfers should be free, who gave athletes trips around the world, and basically advocated for athletes' rights against the ncaa overlords is now gone.

cheeseburgers are once again legal in ann arbor.  saints be praised.

1 hour ago, buddha said:

big, bad jim harbaugh is gone.  the ncaa will look for a new boogeyman.  now that the guy who said they were a farce, that athletes should be paid, who tried to do camps in sec country, who said transfers should be free, who gave athletes trips around the world, and basically advocated for athletes' rights against the ncaa overlords is now gone.

“Attack the change that you want to see in this world with an enthusiasm unknown to mankind” - Mahatma Harbaugh

Ridiculous hubris by Harbaugh and total lack or leadership by people above him to not take control of the situation.

These are minor violations. This should have been nothing. The punishment is maybe the loss of an insignificant summer recruiting weekend had they just admitted it.  Harbaugh could’ve easily called it an oversight and a simple mistake and wouldn’t even had to own up to willingly breaking rules.  

So so dumb that it has come to this  

21 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

do you think his rah-rah shtick will still play with pro players today? Or can he still recall the old NFL personna he once was?

i think he's a great football coach.  was he rah-rah when he took the niners to the super bowl 2 years after they were 5-11 and with alex smith and colin kapernick at qb?

whatever he did, it worked.  i suspect he'll do it again.

1 hour ago, gehringer_2 said:

do you think his rah-rah shtick will still play with pro players today? Or can he still recall the old NFL personna he once was?

I think he’s much less of a hot head than he was back in the day. I don’t think it’s humility though I think he’s just aged.

I don’t see him getting into an altercation with Jim Schwartz for slapping the dude’s back for instance.