2023 Michigan Football

djhutch

Just now, romad1 said:

The degree to which this gave the OSU fanbase something to cling onto has really annoyed the **** out of me.  

Would it be any different with Michigan fans if it were the Buckeyes facing these accusations?  College sports fans are gonna do what they do.

Listening to Sam Webb.  He's comparing this to other violations and while adding in the NCAA hatred for Michigan football -- exemplified by converting level 2 violations to level 1 -- that there is no way this rises to the level of anything like a post-season ban. 

Avoiding any type of post season ban, especially this season would be nice but it's certainly not going to clean the stink off the program.  Also, there is little doubt in my mind that the NCAA would vacate the previous two seasons, wiping out two Big 10 titles and wins against Ohio State.  

3 hours ago, MIguy said:

Avoiding any type of post season ban, especially this season would be nice but it's certainly not going to clean the stink off the program.  Also, there is little doubt in my mind that the NCAA would vacate the previous two seasons, wiping out two Big 10 titles and wins against Ohio State.  

I'd be surprised if there is any vacating of wins involved in the ultimate punishment and I'd be shocked if there is a postseason ban. Michigan won't look clean coming away from this and there will be a lot of pearl clutching in East Lansing and Columbus, but even if the worst case scenario comes to fruition (Harbaugh had knowledge and was using these signals), I think a show-cause of Stallions, a two-game suspension for Harbaugh to start 2024 (which would include the Texas game), and a hefty fine is about the most that will ultimately come of it... Assuming the school cooperates with the investigation and doesn't lie to investigators this time around.

The NCAA - at least historically - cares far more about paying athletes and eligibility than they do about so-called competitive advantages. Notwithstanding the Penn State Jerry Sandusky scandal, I can't think of an extremely punitive outcome to an NCAA investigation (like vacating wins and postseason bans) for something other than boosters, paying athletes, and/or the use of ineligible players. And the Penn State victories were eventually reinstated.

Even comparing this to SpyGate, Belichick was fined $500,000 and the Patriots lost a first-round draft pick for what - at least on the surface - seems to be far more involved than this. There was no talk of them losing wins or vacating their 2007 perfect season. That proposition would have been laughed at.

Of course, it is Harbaugh and the NCAA doesn't exactly send him Christmas cards.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I'd be surprised if there is any vacating of wins involved in the ultimate punishment and I'd be shocked if there is a postseason ban. Michigan won't look clean coming away from this and there will be a lot of pearl clutching in East Lansing and Columbus, but even if the worst case scenario comes to fruition (Harbaugh had knowledge and was using these signals), I think a show-cause of Stallions, a two-game suspension for Harbaugh to start 2024 (which would include the Texas game), and a hefty fine is about the most that will ultimately come of it... Assuming the school cooperates with the investigation and doesn't lie to investigators this time around.

The NCAA - at least historically - cares far more about paying athletes and eligibility than they do about so-called competitive advantages. Notwithstanding the Penn State Jerry Sandusky scandal, I can't think of an extremely punitive outcome to an NCAA investigation (like vacating wins and postseason bans) for something other than boosters, paying athletes, and/or the use of ineligible players. And the Penn State victories were eventually reinstated.

Even comparing this to SpyGate, Belichick was fined $500,000 and the Patriots lost a first-round draft pick for what - at least on the surface - seems to be far more involved than this. There was no talk of them losing wins or vacating their 2007 perfect season. That proposition would have been laughed at.

Of course, it is Harbaugh and the NCAA doesn't exactly send him Christmas cards.

As with all of the recent UM violations like illegal Covid recruiting, illegal extra practices, Mazi’s Got A Gun, and of course Burgergate, I didn’t see any of the ardent UM apologists denying any of the events took place.  Instead, they always spin with some type of excuse justifying it to make it acceptable.   “NCAA rules are dumb and outdated”, “everyone in the country is doing it”,  “They just hate Michigan”.   That’s fine, I get why the fans and alums act this way to defend their program.  That’s big time college football.  Here’s the problem though…

There’s one person that hasn’t taken this approach and continues to deny these things ever happened.  That is Jim Harbaugh.   He never seems to learn his lesson.  He’s already embroiled in one controversy that would’ve just gone away had he owned up and moved on and now he’s done it again.  He’s going to get slapped really hard if it turns out he’s not telling the truth in an investigation once again and this time while still awaiting final word from his last indiscretion.  The stubbornness with this guy is going to be his undoing and it may bleed over to the program if they continue to stand behind his denials.    They need to fire him after the season and hope the powers that be don’t punish the program for his idiocy.  

Edited by Hongbit

35 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

As with all of the recent UM violations like illegal Covid recruiting, illegal extra practices, Mazi’s Got A Gun, and of course Burgergate, I didn’t see any of the ardent UM apologists denying any of the events took place.  Instead, they always spin with some type of excuse justifying it to make it acceptable.   “NCAA rules are dumb and outdated”, “everyone in the country is doing it”,  “They just hate Michigan”.   That’s fine, I get why the fans and alums act this way to defend their program.  That’s big time college football.  Here’s the problem though…

There’s one person that hasn’t taken this approach and continues to deny these things ever happened.  That is Jim Harbaugh.   He never seems to learn his lesson.  He’s already embroiled in one controversy that would’ve just gone away had he owned up and moved on and now he’s done it again.  He’s going to get slapped really hard if it turns out he’s not telling the truth in an investigation once again and this time while still awaiting final word from his last indiscretion.  The stubbornness with this guy is going to be his undoing and it may bleed over to the program if they continue to stand behind his denials.    They need to fire him after the season and hope the powers that be don’t punish the program for his idiocy.  

An analysis of the inner mechanisms of Jim Harbaugh, and the Harbaugh family at large, would be a case study worthy of federal funding. I don't think the things you're describing are specific to Michigan though. If in 2015, Mark Dantonio was accused of the things Jim Harbaugh is accused of now, MSU supporters would bend over backwards to spin their own excuses. Ohio State did with Jim Tressel and USC did with Reggie Bush. That's the case quite literally anywhere in D1 football. If any team goes 26-2 in the course of 28 games, they're going to support their team and their coach through hell or high water.

Michigan and Jim are conjoined by now. They'll erect a statue of him before they fire him. There was a time when Michigan administration and trustees may have thought themselves to be "above" the rest of the B1G, and among some other academic class with the Ivys, Stanford, Cal, Duke, and Vanderbilt, but the last 5-10 years have demonstrated pretty soundly that they're a-ok diving head first into some mud... if it means beating Ohio State. The academic standards for transferring are a remnant I would expect to be "remedied" in the next 5 years.

Like I said above, I don't think this is the regime-ending monstrosity that it's being made out to be on Twitter and Reddit, but it is another blow to Michigan's reputation, whatever the powers that be might imagine that to be. Whenever he does leave, whether by the NCAA forcing him out via a scandal that surpasses this one, or by his own accord to the NFL (his own gig or hanging out with John in Baltimore) or elsewhere (tell me you can't imagine him going and coaching his young boys at Pioneer HS), there will be some cleaning up to do with the program and making up to do with some people, I have no doubt.

52 minutes ago, buddha said:

there's my man!  i was wondering where bonghit went.  this is like catnip for him.  😀

Real world has kept me too busy to fully engage you in this scandal.   I’ll get you next time as there will surely be others to come at Michigan in the near future.

Prediction:  The scandal that ends the Santa Ono presidency will be spectacular and very public.  

Edited by Hongbit

43 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

Real world has kept me too busy to fully engage you in this scandal.   I’ll get you next time as there will surely be others to come at Michigan in the near future.

Prediction:  The scandal that ends the Santa Ono presidency will be spectacular and very public.  

are you still holding to your "harbaugh runs for public office" prediction?

or does spy gate ruin his chances at the republican nomination?

19 minutes ago, buddha said:

are you still holding to your "harbaugh runs for public office" prediction?

or does spy gate ruin his chances at the republican nomination?

It only enhances it.  He’s a 10x better football coach than Tommy Tuberville and I think he’d be even better than that as a sleazy politician.  

2 hours ago, Hongbit said:

It only enhances it.  He’s a 10x better football coach than Tommy Tuberville and I think he’d be even better than that as a sleazy politician.  

i'm just shocked you can admit harbaugh is a better football coach than anyone, even tommy!  🙂

1 hour ago, romad1 said:

Appears that OSU had someone hack the Michigan computers to create proof of illegal data being used by Michigan.  Wait...whut?

So that's what crashed IT at UM in late August? Who knew?

(huge outage - U cut all connection to the internet for days)

Edited by gehringer_2

47 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

So that's what crashed IT at UM in late August? Who knew?

(huge outage - U cut all connection to the internet for days)

I hesitate to say OSU grads could do that out of my pig-headed attitudes toward OSU, but I actually know one of the elite technical operators in the World is an OSU grad.  He probably wouldn't be my first choice since he's too busy trying to tweak the tail of the real baddies in the World.  He and I share stories.  My stories begin the number "4" as in 45-23 or 42-27. 

8 minutes ago, CMRivdogs said:

The Stapleton name rings a bell. I remember some connection with Denise Illitch back before the family sort of exiled her from the Tigers

Jim Stapleton Resigns- July 12, 2004

Tigers VP/Marketing & Business Affairs JIM STAPLETON, the "highest ranking African-American business executive" in MLB, has resigned after three seasons with the club, according to Terry Foster of the DETROIT NEWS. Stapleton said that he will "devote more time to his private business interests" and "thanked [Tigers Owner MIKE] ILITCH and the organization for making him a historic hire more than three years ago." Stapleton, on being a high-ranking African-American in baseball: "That is something I am proud of, but sadly, I have to give it up at this point." Foster reports a "significant business venture involving Stapleton is expected to be announced soon." Stapleton "has maintained control of his consulting firm, B&R Consultants," and he will also continue on the Univ. of Michigan athletic department board (DETROIT NEWS, 7/12).