2023 Michigan Football

djhutch

Passively awaiting punishment is an incredibly unwise strategy.  Using your resources to gather data, compiling your data into information and then aggressively marshaling legal defenses seems like what any organization should do.  But you want a witch to burn and want to throw around the slur about how Michigan fans are in a cult.  You discredit yourself with that. 

I don't believe that Michigan exiting the B1G is even remotely realistic. Too much money at stake all around.

I do believe that Michigan would attempt to insnare the B1G in litigation with the goal of stalling any punishment. Which - starting at that point - would open them up to vacating wins.

The precedent of vacating wins is that it only happens when an ineligible player has played in that game. Usually because they were paid to play in it. I do think that the B1G and NCAA would seek to have Harbaugh deemed "ineligible" to coach in any game played under an injunction. They don't want to "incentivize" lawsuits.

I'm sure the other big ten coaches are yammering for Harbaugh's head for a lot of reasons that this has become the convenient vehicle for. But honestly - teams use multiple signers on the assumption that the other teams knows their signs. Competition impact wise, I think this is pretty silly - like most modern sport controversies. That is not to say there may not still be serious consequences, but the wailing about the integrity of the game is mostly kabuki theatre.

And If Stalion was acting on his own and now gone to earth, there may not be very far the NCAA or BiG can get with their investigation. They don't have supoena power and if Harbaugh and the people immediately around him were not involved, it's one big dead end.

Edited by gehringer_2

39 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

I'm sure the other big ten coaches are yammering for Harbaugh's head for a lot of reasons that this has become the convenient vehicle for. But honestly - teams use multiple signers on the assumption that the other teams knows their signs. Competition impact wise, I think this is pretty silly - like most modern sport controversies. That is not to say there may not still be serious consequences, but the wailing about the integrity of the game is mostly kabuki theatre.

And If Stalion was acting on his own and now gone to earth, there may not be very far the NCAA or BiG can get with their investigation. They don't have supoena power and if Harbaugh and the people immediately around him were not involved, it's one big dead end.

according to most people in this thread that makes you a michigan excuser.

in reality, youre right.  but that doesnt get clicks.

1 hour ago, gehringer_2 said:

Do you think they really care about sign stealing?  Will they clean up CFB and do away with this?

Michigan on the offensive. The other piece of the story has been bubbling up in obscure references from insiders on Twitter and in pretty-much-as-obscure posts on the paysites. It seems clear that Michigan has some… stuff. They're going to start releasing that stuff. What exactly that stuff is not fully known, but if this guy who runs a reasonably successful independent college football site and just happens to be an OSU guy is aware of who the firm is…

From Brian's post last night on MGOBLOG.  The best CFB team blog anywhere. 

I guess it will depend on whether the ADs and president believe Harbaugh truly was blindsided by the revelations. If so, they know it could happen to them just as easily, any investigator worth their salt should be able to come up with some dirt on any of the other 13 schools. If on the other hand they have evidence Harbaugh, or at least senior assistant coaches, knew about it and there is only implausible deniability, then they might be comfortable that their own programs are clean enough to avoid getting caught in a chaotic loop of investigations and counter-investigations.

38 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

I'd guess Acker  was not one of Schlissel's bigger fans. :classic_laugh:

That much is very evident.  If Schlissel was still President, there would be a complete cave-in.  There would also be a commensurate amount of inappropriate behavior by Schlissel. 

1 hour ago, lordstanley said:

believe Harbaugh truly was blindsided by the revelations

I am not one of Harbaugh's biggest fans. He's a strange dude and the fact that he could get into strange kinds of trouble follows from that. So  I find it pretty easy to believe he and his staff could have been bamboozled by a guy like Stalion. They equate love of school with virtue, and despite what JH might think,  they are not *quite* the same thing. :classic_dry:

19 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

I am not one of Harbaugh's biggest fans. He's a strange dude and the fact that he could get into strange kinds of trouble follows from that. So  I find it pretty easy to believe he and his staff could have been bamboozled by a guy like Stalion. They equate love of school with virtue, and despite what JH might think,  they are not *quite* the same thing. :classic_dry:

Good thread on Mgoblog speculating whether CMU's head coach was bamboozled as well. The pic of Connor Stalions (we all know it's him) on the CMU sidelines really gave this story legs, put a face to the story. But if he was there to scout MSU's signs, why not do it from behind the MSU bench instead of from the opposite sideline. Unless he was there not to help Michigan, but to use his MSU data to help CMU. How does Central get out of this one?

1 minute ago, lordstanley said:

Good thread on Mgoblog speculating whether CMU's head coach was bamboozled as well. The pic of Connor Stalions (we all know it's him) on the CMU sidelines really gave this story legs, put a face to the story. But if he was there to scout MSU's signs, why not do it from behind the MSU bench instead of from the opposite sideline. Unless he was there not to help Michigan, but to use his MSU data to help CMU. How does Central get out of this one?

The proximity of Stalions to CMU coaches is indicative of comfort with him being there.

https://apnews.com/article/michigan-sign-stealing-452b6a83bb0d0a3707f633af72fe92ac

Boom.

By LARRY LAGE
Updated 4:00 PM EST, November 6, 2023

ANN ARBOR, Mich. (AP) — A former employee at a Big Ten football program said Monday it was his job to steal signs and he was given details from multiple league schools to compile a spreadsheet of play-calling signals used by Michigan last year.

The employee said he recently shared the documents, which showed the Wolverines’ signs and corresponding plays — as well as screenshots of text-message exchanges with staffers at other Big Ten schools — with Michigan. He spoke with The Associated Press on condition of anonymity because he feared the disclosures could impact his coaching career.

The spreadsheet was compiled with details from a handful of coaches and programs across the Big Ten, the person said. He also said gave the details to Michigan last week because he hoped it would help Jim Harbaugh’s embattled program and he believes Harbaugh and his coaches are being unfairly blamed for the actions of a rogue staffer.

The alleged actions by conference schools potentially violate the Big Ten’s sportsmanship policy, which could lead to punishment by the commissioner’s office. Harbaugh’s program also faces that possibility.

I still go back to the whole sign stealing thing as a tempest in a teapot. Is there any team doesn't use multiple signals? I heard a coach call in on the radio talking about what a huge advantage it is for a DB to know run/pass before the snap, but if you signal a run and a pass in your multiple, how much help is it then? Not to mention you'd think any coach worth his salt would just send plays in on player rotation if he suspected the D had his calls. Teams played football successfully for decades before play signing became a thing.

It's not justification of breaking the rules but the way all these dummies are talking about this doesn't say much for the brains of the average sports commentator.

• Thanks 1