2023 Michigan Football

djhutch

48 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

There IS a "Scouting and Film Exchange" manual I found reference to in an old version of the Big Ten Handbook (The Sportsmanship policy is a three page chapter, Chapter 10, of that book. Coach conduct is Chapter 11).

Here is the Big Ten Football Guidelines

https://bigten.org/documents/2021/8/30//Big_Ten_Football_Game_Management_Manual.pdf?id=7262

this refers to  standard game film' doesn't it? All teams take and share standard PBP film. As I understand it that is not supposed to include sideline filming. Otherwise what would we even be talking about here? The whole competition fairness issue is about getting what isn't on the PBP film.

Distribution of 'standard' PBP film is supposed to save teams the cost of doing it themselves for all their opponents - the money is what these rules were about in the first place, not the competition.

It was pure serendipity that these rules meant teams no longer had to 'protect' observation of their sidelines. That had never been true before the rules were passed. In person scouts never had any rules about what they couldn't observe.

Edited by gehringer_2

so, the dialectics of this are that Michigan will eventually be among the core of a paid player conference.   The obvious though unstated reason that this is the "worst scandal" per the B1G administrators is that Harbaugh's stance on compensation for players is a clear and present danger to their programs and the health of the current CFB structure.  

3 minutes ago, romad1 said:

so, the dialectics of this are that Michigan will eventually be among the core of a paid player conference.   The obvious though unstated reason that this is the "worst scandal" per the B1G administrators is that Harbaugh's stance on compensation for players is a clear and present danger to their programs and the health of the current CFB structure.  

Yup, and half the schools in every conference realize that this outcome is would be the death knell for their programs because that paid league is not going to be more than 40 teams - maybe 50 tops. That leaves half of the CFB out in the cold. So the desperation out there is real, and justified. 

1 hour ago, casimir said:

Sounds like that's what TCU did.

I mean, if you figure out an opponent is onto your signs during a game, you alter them in some way right then and there, don't you?  It doesn't matter at that point how they picked up on it.  You've got to do something different.

So here is a question: The bar on in person scouting is a B1G rule. Does TCU's conference even have such a rule? If not maybe they expected to have to protect their communication? 

5 minutes ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

I have just been here for the popcorn and drama. I doubt Michigan will get hit to hard at the end of the day. Best thing to come out of this is they are finally introduciing communication devices.

Same, but there isn't enough popcorn to with the drama 

How are they not already to the communication devices?  That's mind boggling to me.  Although, we are talking about the NCAA, so....

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

Michigan’s 10-page letter to the Big Ten, in full. 

I chuckled a bit at seeing social worker turned businessman turned AD Warde Manuel's signature at the end of what was effectually a legal brief, likely written by either the Office of General Counsel and proofed by W&C, or just done by W&C directly.

4 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I chuckled a bit at seeing social worker turned businessman turned AD Warde Manuel's signature at the end of what was effectually a legal brief, likely written by either the Office of General Counsel and proofed by W&C, or just done by W&C directly.

Agree!

Upon reading it, I wonder this: has anyone at the NCAA received and shared with Big 10 any videos, or proof of there being videos, supposedly taken by Stalion’s stable of spying scouts? Doesn’t sound like it. 

2 hours ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

I have just been here for the popcorn and drama. 

That’s why I don’t see anyone outside of Columbus and Happy Valley NOT wanting Michigan to beat Penn State. Undefeated Michigan hosting undefeated Ohio State in 2 weeks, give this backdrop and Michigan having reset the rivalry the past couple of years, would be the most anticipated regular season college football game I can think of. 2006 had #1 vs #2 plus Bo dying the day for, but I think this would top that.