2023 Michigan Football

djhutch

That and as Buddha pointed out Penn State was able to get to JJ with relative ease early on in the game so I don't think Sheronne wanted to risk a strip sack or maybe a rushed INT from JJ when Penn State had shown no ability to do anything against our defense.

If Penn State were to start putting drives together and were to take the lead I think you would have seen Moore open up the playbook but until then he wasn't going to risk us making a major mistake and giving them free points. Frustrating to watch as a fan but considering it was essentially a 2 TD win on the road against a top 10 team in a hostile environment it proved to be a smart strategy. 

Edited by RandyMarsh
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, Jason_R said:

https://www.si.com/college/2023/11/11/even-without-jim-harbaugh-michigan-was-too-much-for-penn-state

incidentally, this guy says losing Harbaugh was an advantage for the Wolverines. 

It will be interesting to see if the NCAA weights this BIG suspension when it comes time to lay sanctions of its own. It stated a couple of years ago that in-person scouting of signs yielded "minimal competitive advantage". Harbaugh missing from this one game caused a more significant competitive advantage. Not suggesting Michigan will get off with a 1-game coach's suspension, it will be more than that, but to me Michigan has already partially paid for Stalion's sins.

Edited by lordstanley

1 hour ago, Jason_R said:

I missed the game until just before he came up limping in the 4th. Was surprised that he only threw eight times or something. 

They didn't want to take him out because Tuttle is much less mobile and it would have taken that possible dynamic out of the game and that would make it easier for the PSU defense, which is their strength.      I don't think it was a leg issue, did he hit his hand on a helmet or something?  

1 minute ago, Motor City Sonics said:

They didn't want to take him out because Tuttle is much less mobile and it would have taken that possible dynamic out of the game and that would make it easier for the PSU defense, which is their strength.      I don't think it was a leg issue, did he hit his hand on a helmet or something?  

He was limping pretty heavily when he came up from a hit in the 4th. But I don’t know what happened before. 

https://www.latimes.com/sports/story/2023-11-11/ucla-usc-michigan-big-ten-war

Commentary: USC and UCLA will enter a weakened Big Ten in the midst of an ugly Michigan mud fight*

I am observing the moment from the perspective of USC and UCLA, who are about to join a conference that is not going to resemble the one they signed away their futures to in June 2022.

It appears the Trojans and Bruins left one mess of a conference for a wealthier mess of a conference. They left a Pac-12 that no longer could compete in the college sports arms race for a Big Ten that’s choosing to wage war on itself. The nation’s oldest and most pompous power conference never will be the same again....

The discovery period would be delicious to those who crave college sports depravity — and damaging to all involved, including the 13 other universities that pushed Petitti into a corner....

Expect calculated leaks from Michigan, attacking its rivals’ pristine glass houses. The reports that Ohio State and Rutgers fed Michigan’s signs to Purdue before last year’s Big Ten championship game could be just the beginning....

Can you imagine this happening in the Southeastern Conference? A commissioner bowing to the Mississippi States and Kentuckys to take down Georgia or Alabama in the middle of a championship chase? ...

Instead of issuing a blanket statement admonishing the sign-stealing culture across the conference and pushing for the use of headsets as soon as possible — and letting the NCAA investigate Michigan — Petitti made this an ugly spectacle that is sure to get worse...

There is no Big Ten brotherhood to speak of anymore. Sure, Michigan’s Bo Schembechler and Ohio State’s Woody Hayes once waged their “10-year war,” but there was at least a semblance of honor to the proceedings. You’d hear about Wolverines and Buckeyes actively rooting for one another in bowl game...

The Wolverines and Buckeyes will be so distracted by their own feuding, a door could open rather quickly for a team from the Pac-12 to emerge at the top of the standings. But, if this were to occur, that university would be wise to remember the lesson of the last three weeks: In today’s Big Ten, you had better watch your back

*note the column's writer is a Michigan alum, so doesn't claim to be neutral on this

39 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

Commentary: USC and UCLA will enter a weakened Big Ten in the midst of an ugly Michigan mud fight*

I am observing the moment from the perspective of USC and UCLA, who are about to join a conference that is not going to resemble the one they signed away their futures to in June 2022.

It appears the Trojans and Bruins left one mess of a conference for a wealthier mess of a conference. They left a Pac-12 that no longer could compete in the college sports arms race for a Big Ten that’s choosing to wage war on itself. The nation’s oldest and most pompous power conference never will be the same again....

The discovery period would be delicious to those who crave college sports depravity — and damaging to all involved, including the 13 other universities that pushed Petitti into a corner....

Expect calculated leaks from Michigan, attacking its rivals’ pristine glass houses. The reports that Ohio State and Rutgers fed Michigan’s signs to Purdue before last year’s Big Ten championship game could be just the beginning....

Can you imagine this happening in the Southeastern Conference? A commissioner bowing to the Mississippi States and Kentuckys to take down Georgia or Alabama in the middle of a championship chase? ...

Instead of issuing a blanket statement admonishing the sign-stealing culture across the conference and pushing for the use of headsets as soon as possible — and letting the NCAA investigate Michigan — Petitti made this an ugly spectacle that is sure to get worse...

There is no Big Ten brotherhood to speak of anymore. Sure, Michigan’s Bo Schembechler and Ohio State’s Woody Hayes once waged their “10-year war,” but there was at least a semblance of honor to the proceedings. You’d hear about Wolverines and Buckeyes actively rooting for one another in bowl game...

The Wolverines and Buckeyes will be so distracted by their own feuding, a door could open rather quickly for a team from the Pac-12 to emerge at the top of the standings. But, if this were to occur, that university would be wise to remember the lesson of the last three weeks: In today’s Big Ten, you had better watch your back

*note the column's writer is a Michigan alum, so doesn't claim to be neutral on this

I think USC and UCLA will struggle mightily entering the B1G. The game is completely different and we actually play defense in this part of the country.

1 hour ago, Motor City Sonics said:

They were pretty confident PSU could not score, pound the ball and run the clock. The 32 (or whatever) consecutive run number is also a bit of an anomaly: they attempted a deep ball and it was erased on a penalty so the number of consecutive runs actually called was a smaller number.

Edited by gehringer_2

50 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I think USC and UCLA will struggle mightily entering the B1G. The game is completely different and we actually play defense in this part of the country.

i think usc, washington, and oregon have the athletes and speed to make big ten teams sweat.

lets remember, other than michigan and ohio state and penn state, the big ten SUCKS.  

1 hour ago, lordstanley said:

he's right, though.

how many cheating scandals has the sec had?  they simply dont do this internal hari kari for the most part.  

you dont think they all know how to cheat?  they dont have bagmen?  of course they do.  in fact, they all hire the same guys!  

what osu did is really weird from that respect.  the fact that so many in the press have bought it tells you how little they actually know or how they just turn a blind eye in favor of access (remember how all of the local press were shocked when the fab five turned out to be getting paid?).

8 hours ago, buddha said:

he's right, though.

how many cheating scandals has the sec had?  they simply dont do this internal hari kari for the most part.  

you dont think they all know how to cheat?  they dont have bagmen?  of course they do.  in fact, they all hire the same guys!  

what osu did is really weird from that respect.  the fact that so many in the press have bought it tells you how little they actually know or how they just turn a blind eye in favor of access (remember how all of the local press were shocked when the fab five turned out to be getting paid?).

Yeah, Mike Slive really did well to keep everything in house...

The one thing I don't really see from the Big Ten's argument standpoint. If knowing plays is a credible safety concern, wouldn't cheating in talent procurement be that as well and require immediate action?

10 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

I wanted to see Illinois lose to Indiana yesterday, due to Bielema's comments about in-stadium scouting being "sickening".

I'm very interested to see the degree to which CMU's coaching staff were working with Stalions.  I think its going to be a very dirty bandage when it gets ripped off the degree to which these scumbag hypocrites around the college football are gonna be burned by this. 

12 hours ago, MichiganCardinal said:

Is it really great defense or is it an almost complete lack of offensive playmakers outside of OSU & Michigan?

Where are the QB’s in this conference?  Are there any outside of Columbus and Ann Arbor that are draftable pros even in the late rounds? I don’t see any.     WR and RB are also so weak across the rest of the conference right now.    

It’s a night and day talent difference with playmakers between the two conferences. The Pac is loaded on offense this year.   I’m not so sure USC flaming dumpster of radioactive dogpoo defense wouldn’t be a top 5 defense in the B1G.

I do agree with you that UCLA will struggle with the move.  They suck and are a basketball school.  

25 minutes ago, romad1 said:

I'm very interested to see the degree to which CMU's coaching staff were working with Stalions.  I think its going to be a very dirty bandage when it gets ripped off the degree to which these scumbag hypocrites around the college football are gonna be burned by this. 

Cut the Chips some slack.  They’re a tiny G5 program and don’t have the cheating mechanisms in place to do it properly like a powerhouse program of UM’s stature.  I don’t even know the name of their loser coach but he’s like a child compared to a genius like Harbaugh when it comes to cheating.  

2 hours ago, Hongbit said:

Is it really great defense or is it an almost complete lack of offensive playmakers outside of OSU & Michigan?

Where are the QB’s in this conference?  Are there any outside of Columbus and Ann Arbor that are draftable pros even in the late rounds? I don’t see any.     WR and RB are also so weak across the rest of the conference right now.    

It’s a night and day talent difference with playmakers between the two conferences. The Pac is loaded on offense this year.   I’m not so sure USC flaming dumpster of radioactive dogpoo defense wouldn’t be a top 5 defense in the B1G.

I do agree with you that UCLA will struggle with the move.  They suck and are a basketball school.  

its the former.  those pac ten schools would light up big ten defenses.

look at what washington did to michigan state.

that's why for all the emotional talk about michigan moving out of the big ten it wont happen.  michigan is in a great situation right now of dominating a bad league.  

otoh, with usc, oregon, and washington coming on board, the competition just got a little tougher.  maybe we will go to the acc to make it easier on ourselves?  we do love an easy schedule.

Just now, Motor City Sonics said:

So who is the next head coach at Michigan?

I am sure the Tom Brady rumors will start (it's ridiculous, but you know it will happen). 

Would Lance Leipold be near the top of the list?  

Hard to figure who'd be next in line. 

jim harbaugh.

if harbaugh leaves it will be someone on staff.  i shudder to think about michigan's next coaching search.  harbaugh fell into their laps.  there is no other person with those credentials who would do so.

look at the horrible disorganized mess that is the michigan athletic department under warde manuel.  its a joke.  you want THAT LOT in charge of picking a coach?  that's how you got richrod and brady hoke.

1 hour ago, buddha said:

jim harbaugh.

if harbaugh leaves it will be someone on staff.  i shudder to think about michigan's next coaching search.  harbaugh fell into their laps.  there is no other person with those credentials who would do so.

look at the horrible disorganized mess that is the michigan athletic department under warde manuel.  its a joke.  you want THAT LOT in charge of picking a coach?  that's how you got richrod and brady hoke.

Just bring back Sherrone Moore from where-ever he goes next year.

2 hours ago, buddha said:

jim harbaugh.

Ditto.  Why should Michigan change from this level of success?

Hahaha

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/38882186/source-penn-state-fires-offensive-coordinator-mike-yurcich

Penn State fired offensive coordinator Mike Yurcich on Sunday, a day after the unit struggled in a high-profile loss for the second time this season, the team announced.

Running backs coach Ja'Juan Seider and tight ends coach Ty Howle will replace Yurcich as co-offensive coordinators.

The Nittany Lions scored only 15 points and managed just 238 yards of offense (70 through the air) in Saturday's 24-15 loss to No. 3 Michigan. Penn State's offense also struggled in a 20-12 loss to Ohio State on Oct. 21, finishing with only 240 yards and not reaching the end zone until the game's final minute.