2023 Michigan Football

djhutch

14 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

Hahaha

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/38882186/source-penn-state-fires-offensive-coordinator-mike-yurcich

Penn State fired offensive coordinator Mike Yurcich on Sunday, a day after the unit struggled in a high-profile loss for the second time this season, the team announced.

Running backs coach Ja'Juan Seider and tight ends coach Ty Howle will replace Yurcich as co-offensive coordinators.

The Nittany Lions scored only 15 points and managed just 238 yards of offense (70 through the air) in Saturday's 24-15 loss to No. 3 Michigan. Penn State's offense also struggled in a 20-12 loss to Ohio State on Oct. 21, finishing with only 240 yards and not reaching the end zone until the game's final minute.

Scapegoat much? It’s your defense that allowed a team to run the ball 30 consecutive times without an answer.

This week's game against Maryland is probably pointless in the long run aside from playoff seeding. Whether they win or lose they still are going to have to beat OSU to get to the playoffs unless something drastic happens to other teams. 

Even with a loss Maryland Unless they completely crap the bed and get blown out I see no way they miss the playoffs if they then beat OSU and finish as a 1 loss Big 10 champ, no different than if they finished undefeated. 

Edited by RandyMarsh

1 hour ago, RandyMarsh said:

This week's game against Maryland is probably pointless in the long run aside from playoff seeding. Whether they win or lose they still are going to have to beat OSU to get to the playoffs unless something drastic happens to other teams. 

Even with a loss Maryland Unless they completely crap the bed and get blown out I see no way they miss the playoffs if they then beat OSU and finish as a 1 loss Big 10 champ, no different than if they finished undefeated. 

So they should refuse to play as a middle finger to the B1G?

No TV money for anybody off that game.

Actually after thinking about it more I prob shouldn't have said no way they'd not get in as 1 loss Big Champ cause there is a realistic scenario where that prob doesn't happen.

That would be Bama winning a close one in the SEC Championship and Washington winning out. 

In that case I could see them taking UGA, Bama, and the unbeaten Washington and Florida State teams over a 1 loss Michigan team. 

I was tongue-in-cheek about not playing against Maryland. That would never happen, it would just lead to Michigan getting in even deeper **** with the conference.

I do think if Michigan is 12-0 they should leak discussions (even if not legitimate) that they are considering not playing in the B1G Championship. Let FOX sweat about losing that audience and let Petitti take those calls from network executives. Then send his calls to voicemail. If they really want to layer it on, cite concerns for player safety like MSU did. A 12-0 Michigan team that hilariously forfeited the B1G Championship Game in protest would still go to the Playoff and would still raise banners in Glick. It wouldn't happen, but it would be funny.

Watching Harbaugh take the B1G Championship Trophy (or refuse to do so) from Tony Petitti would be must-watch television though.

1 minute ago, MichiganCardinal said:

Watching Harbaugh take the B1G Championship Trophy (or refuse to do so) from Tony Petitti would be must-watch television though.

Though the odds are Harbaugh wouldn't accept it anyway, he'd have JJ or Corem take it. That's his greatest asset as a coach, he does always elevate his players.  

I’m a bit surprised by the national narrative on Sunday that the Wolverines ran run after run against a top run defense and were unstoppable. No, they were actually stopped time and again and kept giving the ball back. It was successful at eating up minutes and the bet that Penn St’s feeble offense wouldn’t be able to capitalize on possessions did pay off. Michigan won the game. Thanks to the defense getting a late 4th down stop in Penn State that Michigan’s running finally turned Into big yardage and a score on the next play. This was not like the 2nd half of the 2021 OSU game  when the running game truly was unstoppable on multiple long scoring drives. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

I’m a bit surprised by the national narrative on Sunday that the Wolverines ran run after run against a top run defense and were unstoppable. No, they were actually stopped time and again and kept giving the ball back. It was successful at eating up minutes and the bet that Penn St’s feeble offense wouldn’t be able to capitalize on possessions did pay off. Michigan won the game. Thanks to the defense getting a late 4th down stop in Penn State that Michigan’s running finally turned Into big yardage and a score on the next play. This was not like the 2nd half of the 2021 OSU game  when the running game truly was unstoppable on multiple long scoring drives. 

correct.

1 hour ago, lordstanley said:

Yeah for all the talk about how great the O line is and how many future pros they have to me they haven't looked overly impressive this year atleast in the run game. It seems like there haven't been nearly the amount of runs this year where the running backs are 5-6 yards past the line of scrimmage before even getting touched as there was the previous 2 years. The rare times they have broke off a big run this year have been due to the running back making a move against the grain and not cause the o line really blowing open a giant hole for them. 

Edited by RandyMarsh

23 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Yeah for all the talk about how great the O line is and how many future pros they have to me they haven't looked overly impressive this year atleast in the run game. It seems like there haven't been nearly the amount of runs this year where the running backs are 5-6 yards past the line of scrimmage before even getting touched as there was the previous 2 years. The rare times they have broke off a big run this year have been due to the running back making a move against the grain and not cause the o line really blowing open a giant hole for them. 

counterpoint: penn state came in with one of the best run defenses in the country.

Brian Fuller does a great job describing how amazing Sherrone Moore did. 

https://mgoblog.com/content/i-have-emerged-steaming-ancient-ice

but this was really my favorite part

In the end, it was Penn State that could not gear down. It was Penn State that kept flinging guys across the line of scrimmage long after it was clear that Michigan was anticipating that. The home team lost the plot, not Michigan. The day after, James Franklin threw yet another Spinal Tap drummer under the bus by firing Mike Yurich. After all that, they're the shook ones.

Players will tell you they shut all the noise out. They don't. They can't. It's clear that Michigan has been steeping in the same poisonous online media spaces we all have been, from the team-wide "bet" tweets in the aftermath of the suspension to what Corum did when he shut the door on Penn State for good: the same thing Manny Diaz did. Except instead of "get there early," "be loud," and "especially on third down" they meant:

Time's up.

I can't hear you.

You're next, Third Base.

Isaiah Hole discussed how apparently Mark Silverman the COO of Fox Sports is really angry at how the B1G gave the scoop about Harbaugh suspension to ESPN before U-M (and more importantly from his business' perspective Foxsports).  Isn't B1G network a subsidiary of Foxsports? 

4 minutes ago, romad1 said:

Isaiah Hole discussed how apparently Mark Silverman the COO of Fox Sports is really angry at how the B1G gave the scoop about Harbaugh suspension to ESPN before U-M (and more importantly from his business' perspective Foxsports).  Isn't B1G network a subsidiary of Foxsports? 

Wikipedia tells me that B1G is 61% owned by Foxsports and 39% owned by B1G.   

I re-watched the game last night and I didn’t realize that the 30+ consecutive runs wasn’t exactly organic. Moore didn’t say “we aren’t going to pass”, in fact there were three pass plays called in that sequence. One JJ took off when coverage was solid, one screen never got off because of a timeout, and one deep shot got called for DPI.

The headline of so many consecutive runs would make you think the pass was abandoned but it’s really just how it turned out.

• Like 1