2023 Michigan Football

djhutch

49 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

If all the shouting is over all they have to do is 'let' Moore manage the sidelines two more time, they are probably a head net/net.

I would agree if the NCAA, BIG and Michigan had put out common statements that everything has concluded and that a 2 game suspension and fine was agreed upon. This isn’t that. Nothing to stop more leaks, more new findings, new NCAA penalties. Michigan is losing its head coach before a game next weekend it needs to win to preserve hopes of first national championship since 1997. A three game suspension to end this season may be as damaging as a full season suspension a couple of years from now would be. I don’t expect Michigan to be 10-0 in 2024 or 2025. 

Edited by lordstanley

31 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

I would agree if the NCAA, BIG and Michigan had put out common statements that everything has concluded and that a 2 game suspension and fine wasn’t agreed upon. This isn’t that. Nothing to stop more leaks, more new findings, new NCAA penalties. Michigan is losing its head coach before a game next weekend it needs to win to preserve hopes of first national championship since 1997. A three game suspension to end this season may be as damaging as a full season suspension a couple of years from now would be. I don’t expect Michigan to be 10-0 in 2024 or 2025. 

If it were a full suspension, it would be a stiffer penalty. But a head coach in a system program like UM is 90% spectator on game day. He will still be the one putting it all into motion before the bell.  If a game comes down to one 4th down call, they'll wish he was there, but otherwise I don't see Harbaugh carrying any great increment of strategic brilliance over Mintor and Moore in terms of real time decisions.

Edited by gehringer_2

27 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

If it were a full suspension, it would be a stiffer penalty. But a head coach in a system program like UM is 90% spectator on game day. He will still be the one putting it all into motion before the bell.  If a game comes down to one 4th down call, they'll wish he was there, but otherwise I don't see Harbaugh carrying any great increment of strategic brilliance over Mintor and Moore in terms of real time decisions.

i dont think that's true.  i think harbaugh has a big influence on game day, especially with jj.

27 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

bottom line though - he's not been on the sideline 4 times and they haven't really missed a beat. 

ohio state is a much different proposition than any team they've played so far.  jj also had his worst game without harbaugh and the penn state game was weird.

2 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

I don't think I'd call an 87.5% completion rate a bad day. He didn't have a bad game, they just didn't use him.

bowling green was his worst game.

penn state was weird and i imagine if harbaugh was there they would have operated a bit differently, but you never know.  

13 minutes ago, buddha said:

ohio state is a much different proposition than any team they've played so far.  jj also had his worst game without harbaugh and the penn state game was weird.

Maybe. For my money PSU on the road was the tougher game than OSU at home. Franklin does make it a fair argument of course. There is certain pressure that builds just with being undefeated, but on the 25th both teams are likely facing that.

10 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

I don't think I'd call an 87.5% completion rate a bad day. He didn't have a bad game, they just didn't use him.

Maybe they didn’t use him because Moore was so pre-occupied with head coaching duties he couldn’t focus on figuring out in-game fixes for how the offensive line was being exposed on passing downs. 

56 minutes ago, romad1 said:

I am worried that once Ryan Day loses to JH’s surrogate he will be fired and OSU will bring in someone less soft.

That program has so much institutional inertia that Brutus Buckeye could probably coach them to 11-1. Jon Cooper had to have been a really bad HFC to have struggled like he did.

Smartest move would have been for Michigan to have removed the TRO application on Saturday night fresh off the victory over Penn St. "We wanted the TRO so Coach Harbaugh could coach today, but since we didn't get it we don't want to drag it out until next Friday the day before Maryland. So we're not going to waste time fighting your unjust suspension. We won on the field today and we'll just have to win next week and the week after. We're angry and we'll stay angry. We will not forget this".  That would have achieved more than caving today.

24 minutes ago, romad1 said:

By institutional inertia do you mean, pay for play?

LOL - sure, but that's only a symptom, not really a cause. While success may be accidental, sustained success seldom is - it represents a commitment of effort and resources by large numbers of people and a sustaining internal culture. They do that at OSU, just like they do it a Michigan, but I don't think we quite match their priority level for football as an institution, which is actually OK with me. I don't think football needs to be quite as important to a University as it is to OSU, but it's their school and it is what it is.

Edited by gehringer_2