2023 Michigan Football

djhutch

michigan passed on brian kelly before he went to ND, theyre definitely not taking him now.

if harbaugh leaves moore will be the next head coach and then i fear for michigan.  not that i dont like moore but he's an unknown quantity as a program leader.  i have zero faith that warde manuel or anyone in michigan's athletic department knows what theyre doing.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, buddha said:

michigan passed on brian kelly before he went to ND, theyre definitely not taking him now.

if harbaugh leaves moore will be the next head coach and then i fear for michigan.  not that i dont like moore but he's an unknown quantity as a program leader.  i have zero faith that warde manuel or anyone in michigan's athletic department knows what theyre doing.

Talked to a friend in SoCal today who said Harbaugh to Chargers is a hot local rumor

Just now, gehringer_2 said:

Talked to a friend in SoCal today who said Harbaugh to Chargers is a hot local rumor

bacon said as much last week.  chargers or raiders.

the chargers dont usually spend on coaches, and the owner is a meddler who likes to maintain control.  plus theyre going to gut that roster after this year.  not sure its a fit for harbaugh if they dont want to match his reported $11 million per year michigan offer.

21 minutes ago, buddha said:

Warde’s job became easy when Moore beat Ohio State. Not a soul will complain about the OC who is 4-0 as interim head coach, including two ranked wins, one over aOSU, taking over as head coach if Harbaugh leaves.

At least not until he loses to Texas in week two next year.

1 minute ago, MichiganCardinal said:

Warde’s job became easy when Moore beat Ohio State. Not a soul will complain about the OC who is 4-0 as interim head coach, including two ranked wins, one over aOSU, taking over as head coach if Harbaugh leaves.

At least not until he loses to Texas in week two next year.

at this point i'm fine if harbaugh leaves.  he did his job and got michigan back to the top of the big ten.  i love him, but i can do without the drama.

i'd be happy if he stays, but i have a feeling the ncaa is going to drop a stupid hammer on michigan because they hate him so much.  if he goes, they'll let it go and give him a show cause order or something stupid.

i dont think it will happen, but it would be nice to go out with a natty.  even if it did ruin my alabama -2 1/2 bet...

🙂

My wild ass speculation about Harbaugh is that the worst (or best, depending on your view) combination will be UM loses in the playoff and the Ravens win another Superbowl. I don't think he would able to help himself from going back to the NFL to try and top big brother.

Both those things look fairly likely right now....

Edited by gehringer_2

There is an unknown about how the NFL will treat any potential Harbaugh college suspension.  In the past, they have elected not to be safe harbor for people fleeing NCAA suspension.  Notably Jim Tressel and Terrell Pryor had to serve an NFL suspension prior to entering the league for things that happened in college.  

Buddha is correct about Warde.  He’s not shown any competence in his AD role.   He shouldn’t be trusted to make any meaningful decisions. The football program has flourished without his involvement and he has probably hindered it more than helped.  I doubt Harbaugh is still there today if Santa Ono hadn’t been there to take the reins during negotiations.  The guy has proven to be quite a turd as AD. 

1 hour ago, Hongbit said:

There is an unknown about how the NFL will treat any potential Harbaugh college suspension.  In the past, they have elected not to be safe harbor for people fleeing NCAA suspension.  Notably Jim Tressel and Terrell Pryor had to serve an NFL suspension prior to entering the league for things that happened in college.  

Buddha is correct about Warde.  He’s not shown any competence in his AD role.   He shouldn’t be trusted to make any meaningful decisions. The football program has flourished without his involvement and he has probably hindered it more than helped.  I doubt Harbaugh is still there today if Santa Ono hadn’t been there to take the reins during negotiations.  The guy has proven to be quite a turd as AD. 

the difference being jim harbaugh is actually wanted by the nfl and jim tressel and terrell pryor really werent.

1 hour ago, Hongbit said:

I have no particular opinion on Manuel, other than that he keeps the lowest public profile of any UM AD in my memory.

But you have to understand that a major college AD is rated by his employer on only one basis - how much money is the Athletic Dept either returning to the school of hemorrhaging from it. By the only standard that matters to the people he works for, Warde has been a big success.

Edited by gehringer_2

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/13/2023 at 3:45 PM, buddha said:

feldman loves michigan.  they give him a lot of access.

that said, this michigan team has few obvious question marks (depth at corner and potentially offensive tackle) and has harbaugh's usual pansy ooc schedule.

they have 3 games on the schedule that should be tough: at penn state, at michigan state, and ohio state at home.

it would be a big disappointment to lose more than one game if jj stays healthy.  the expectation should be 12-0.

spoiler alert:  expectation exceeded.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, romad1 said:

Its amazing how things changed right when you made that thread.

We just come off the tough loss to MSU which further added fuel to the "Harbaugh can't win big games" fire, but since then we've only lost twice in 2 1/2 seasons, beat OSU 3 times,  made 3 CFP appearances and won a Natty!

5 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Its amazing how things changed right when you made that thread.

We just come off the tough loss to MSU which further added fuel to the "Harbaugh can't win big games" fire, but since then we've only lost twice in 2 1/2 seasons, beat OSU 3 times,  made 3 CFP appearances and won a Natty!

Culture matters.  How do I get my office at work to be as unified and driven as the 2023 U-M football team?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jason_R said:

See if you can hire Jim Harbaugh. 

Hire JJ and Mikey Sainristil as well.   The latter is going to be on your TVs for the next 40-50 years as whatever the hell he wants to be in this life.  Senator Sainristil perhaps. 

https://theathletic.com/5193516/2024/01/10/charlie-baker-michigan-ncaa-investigation/

PHOENIX — NCAA president Charlie Baker watched on television as Michigan football won the national championship on Monday night and came away impressed. During a meeting with a small gathering of reporters at this week’s annual NCAA convention, Baker said that the Wolverines were clearly “the better team” and won their title “fair and square”.

At the end of the day, no one believes at this point that Michigan didn’t win the national title fair and square. So, I think we did the right thing.”

Baker said he wasn’t conflicted about the outcome of the championship game, either, since he believes he took the right action in a complicated situation. Because the NCAA investigation centered on an illegal on-campus scouting and sign-stealing operation, the rules being violated could have impacted games still to be played in the 2023 season. Baker believed that Michigan and its conference deserved the right to act in the moment to preserve the fairness of the competition, rather than wait until the end of a drawn-out investigation process.

It might affect the outcome of games, and I don’t believe, at the end of the season, that it did,” Baker said. “And I think that’s important.”

Edited by lordstanley

12 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

https://theathletic.com/5193516/2024/01/10/charlie-baker-michigan-ncaa-investigation/

PHOENIX — NCAA president Charlie Baker watched on television as Michigan football won the national championship on Monday night and came away impressed. During a meeting with a small gathering of reporters at this week’s annual NCAA convention, Baker said that the Wolverines were clearly “the better team” and won their title “fair and square”.

At the end of the day, no one believes at this point that Michigan didn’t win the national title fair and square. So, I think we did the right thing.”

Baker said he wasn’t conflicted about the outcome of the championship game, either, since he believes he took the right action in a complicated situation. Because the NCAA investigation centered on an illegal on-campus scouting and sign-stealing operation, the rules being violated could have impacted games still to be played in the 2023 season. Baker believed that Michigan and its conference deserved the right to act in the moment to preserve the fairness of the competition, rather than wait until the end of a drawn-out investigation process.

It might affect the outcome of games, and I don’t believe, at the end of the season, that it did,” Baker said. “And I think that’s important.”

So, that happend.

28 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

In the end, accepting the three-game suspension is what will prevent Michigan from vacating anything.

Had an injunction been granted and Harbaugh coached, the NCAA would have played the long game and eventually ruled him suspended for the games anyway, and ineligible in games played during a court injunction. Leading to a vacated championship.

I’m sure they’ll still get some sort of slap on the wrist, in true NCAA fashion. “Oh no not the scholarships” *counts more NIL money*

9 hours ago, MichiganCardinal said:

In the end, accepting the three-game suspension is what will prevent Michigan from vacating anything.

Had an injunction been granted and Harbaugh coached, the NCAA would have played the long game and eventually ruled him suspended for the games anyway, and ineligible in games played during a court injunction. Leading to a vacated championship.

I’m sure they’ll still get some sort of slap on the wrist, in true NCAA fashion. “Oh no not the scholarships” *counts more NIL money*

they'll get a post season ban.  for at least one year.  harbaugh will get a show cause order.