2023 Michigan Football

djhutch

15 minutes ago, romad1 said:

JJ is actually undersized and weight for an NFL QB.  His people have told him that he needs to build up his resiliency before he goes pro unless he ends up in a perfect understudy situation.

6’3 is fine height and 205 pounds while lighter is not out so out of the ordinary.  Bryce Young and Kyler Murray both went 1-1 at a smaller size. I think if there is any NFL question on him, it’s the lack of times they have asked him to throw the ball downfield in this offense.  Which I’m not sure how that changes if he comes back for another year at Michigan.  

I think he’s a top 10 pick easily in this draft.   Throws really well on the run, stronger arm than you may expect, and appears be a smart, composed kid and good leader.   Too many teams need QB’s not to take a shot with him.  

Edited by Hongbit

2 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

6’3 is fine height and 205 pounds while lighter is not out so out of the ordinary.  Bryce Young and Kyler Murray both went 1-1 at a smaller size. I think if there is any NFL question on him, it’s the lack of times they have asked him to throw the ball downfield in this offense.  Which I’m not sure how that changes if he comes back for another year at Michigan.  

I think he’s a top 10 pick easily in this draft.   Throws really well on the run, stronger arm than you may expect, and appears be a smart, composed kid and good leader.   Too many teams need QB’s not to take a shot with him.  

jj or penix?

I keep bringing it up with Penix but I think people have to factor in his age and experience level when grading him. It would be one thing if he was 24 years old but didn't play much until this year, you could then argue that he is still learning and has room to improve but he essentially has 6 full seasons of D1 football under his belt, he's playing against teenagers and guys in most cases with half or less the experience he has. I would hope at that age and experience level along with the WRs he was blessed with that he would dominate.  He won't have those same advantages once he gets to the NFL.

Where as with JJ he is only 20 with only 2 seasons as full time starter so it's easy to see a world where he gets alot better. I mean look at where Penix was at the same age? There's no reason to think for instance that he can't get stronger and throw a stronger ball with age. 

So to me it would come down to how projectable you think JJ is and how long it would take for him to get there cause I think Penix is basically is what he is at this point.

5 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

I keep bringing it up with Penix but I think people have to factor in his age and experience level when grading him. It would be one thing if he was 24 years old but didn't play much until this year, you could then argue that he is still learning and has room to improve but he essentially has 6 full seasons of D1 football under his belt, he's playing against teenagers and guys in most cases with half or less the experience he has. I would hope at that age and experience level along with the WRs he was blessed with that he would dominate.  He won't have those same advantages once he gets to the NFL.

Where as with JJ he is only 20 with only 2 seasons as full time starter so it's easy to see a world where he gets alot better. I mean look at where Penix was at the same age? There's no reason to think for instance that he can't get stronger and throw a stronger ball with age. 

So to me it would come down to how projectable you think JJ is and how long it would take for him to get there cause I think Penix is basically is what he is at this point.

penix has major injury concerns too.

57 minutes ago, Jason_R said:

https://www.si.com/college/2024/01/11/jim-harbaugh-loves-michigan-so-why-would-he-leave

Rosenberg thinks Harbaugh wants to stay but wants assurance that Michigan won’t fire him as a result of the NCAA investigation. 

If he has any interest in the NFL, I’m not sure a better opportunity will come along than the Chargers job.  That can be a very quick turnaround for him with Herbert entering his prime and some nice defensive weapons.  

Harbaugh is notoriously tight to the chest. I don't really believe any source but John Bacon on his happenings. Bacon has insider connections to Harbaugh, has consistently been the reliable and reasonable source of knowledge surrounding Harbaugh (even from the very beginning), and most often he will simply say "no one knows anything". The ESPN types can't go on television and say "I don't know!", so instead they speculate, using the fallacy that everyone must prefer the NFL to NCAA, because it's the NFL.

That being said, I wish Jim would just choose. This media circus follows every. single. season... It's just exhausting. And sure, it sure feels like as long as he is here, he will continue to develop 3*s and 4*s to beat or compete with Ohio State and Alabama 5*s. But if/when he inevitably leaves, I'd prefer having a system in place that can attract 5*s, and your head coach flirting with the NFL every. single. season. doesn't help attract them.

FWIW, this was Bacon's tidbit from yesterday. I can't imagine why anyone in the athletic department would ever make a head coach that just won the National Championship in the highest revenue sport feel not wanted.

55 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

If he has any interest in the NFL, I’m not sure a better opportunity will come along than the Chargers job.  That can be a very quick turnaround for him with Herbert entering his prime and some nice defensive weapons.  

https://www.lafbnetwork.com/jim-harbaugh-los-angeles-chargers-rumors-2/

Rapoport’s report adds another interesting layer to this. He indicates that the Chargers would look to pair Harbaugh with a general manager he could work with. Whether this means hiring Harbaugh before a GM to replace the recently-fired Tom Telesco remains to be seen. But that does seem to be part of the conversation behind the scenes.

2 hours ago, MichiganCardinal said:

Harbaugh is notoriously tight to the chest. I don't really believe any source but John Bacon on his happenings. Bacon has insider connections to Harbaugh, has consistently been the reliable and reasonable source of knowledge surrounding Harbaugh (even from the very beginning), and most often he will simply say "no one knows anything". The ESPN types can't go on television and say "I don't know!", so instead they speculate, using the fallacy that everyone must prefer the NFL to NCAA, because it's the NFL.

That being said, I wish Jim would just choose. This media circus follows every. single. season... It's just exhausting. And sure, it sure feels like as long as he is here, he will continue to develop 3*s and 4*s to beat or compete with Ohio State and Alabama 5*s. But if/when he inevitably leaves, I'd prefer having a system in place that can attract 5*s, and your head coach flirting with the NFL every. single. season. doesn't help attract them.

FWIW, this was Bacon's tidbit from yesterday. I can't imagine why anyone in the athletic department would ever make a head coach that just won the National Championship in the highest revenue sport feel not wanted.

I don't know WTH that is supposed to mean. What more can he possible want? Language that holds him harmless no matter what he does or something? If so, I guess it will be on the the NFL for Jim because he will never get that.

17 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

I don't know WTH that is supposed to mean. What more can he possible want? Language that holds him harmless no matter what he does or something? If so, I guess it will be on the the NFL for Jim because he will never get that.

if he wanted to be at michigan he would have signed the contract.  he wants to see what is out there in the nfl.

i dont blame him.  he wants to win a super bowl.  

he brought michigan to the promised land, he can do what he wants.

4 hours ago, buddha said:

if he wanted to be at michigan he would have signed the contract.  he wants to see what is out there in the nfl.

i dont blame him.  he wants to win a super bowl.  

he brought michigan to the promised land, he can do what he wants.

that's fair enough - but he could cut the BS about 'feeling wanted'.

7 hours ago, MichiganCardinal said:

Bacon says the same thing as Rosenberg - that Harbaugh wants to be wanted. Maybe they have the same source, or maybe one of them is reading the other. 

Yeah JJ is definitely gone, if he was staying no reason he wouldn't have just announced it at the ceremony. Can't say I blame him though, while he could potentially improve his draft stock with another year and maybe even be in contention for the top QB off the board if he takes a huge step when you are already projected to be a 1st round pick that isn't enough incentive for me to take that risk and play another year especially when you just accomplished your goal of winning the championship anyway. 

Speaking of JJ, one of Harbaugh's biggest moves since he was here was being committed to JJ despite the team's success with Cade in 2021. It may seem like a no brainer of a move but I think there may have been plenty of coaches who wouldn't have wanted to rock the boat and just stuck with the guy that got them there and in turn probably lost the more talented player which is what would've happened with JJ if we didn't go with him.  

10 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Speaking of JJ, one of Harbaugh's biggest moves since he was here was being committed to JJ despite the team's success with Cade in 2021. It may seem like a no brainer of a move but I think there may have been plenty of coaches who wouldn't have wanted to rock the boat and just stuck with the guy that got them there and in turn probably lost the more talented player which is what would've happened with JJ if we didn't go with him.  

Cade looked like progress when he showed up but that was only by comparison with how bad the position had been. His ceiling became evident pretty quickly. We wasn't bad, but M was unlikely to get over the hump with him.

1 hour ago, RandyMarsh said:

A similar navigation occurred with Blake Corum and Donovan Edwards.  I gather Donovan was doing all he could to keep positive but he's still a young dude with a 5* rating and some incredible game film from the biggest stages in college football.