2023 Michigan Football

djhutch

Definitely the smart move on JJ's part, I could see him testing really well at the combine as well and some team falling in love with him. He's certainly not going to pass Caleb or Maye but I could see a chance of him being the 3rd QB off the board based if he tests well.

As for the portal this is what worried me a month ago and that's that all the good QBs will already be taken before we have any shot at them. Not exactly sure how it works so maybe it will open up again and new guys will enter and be enticed by the defending champs having a QB opening and come here but if that isn't the case and you can only pick from the guys that are currently on it I don't really know who is left that is any good. 

I'd like to announce that I too am going pro. For the rest of this football season, my posts will all be on the Lions forum of this board. It can be a tough and demanding environment, especially when the Lions' offense isn't moving to T&P's liking, but I think I'm up for the challenge and am as ready as I'll ever be. Thank you all for preparing me.

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, buddha said:

edwards comes back.  interesting choice but that should help.

i think people might be surprised how good kalel mullings will be next year.

Get a QB in the spring portal to start and maybe ease in Jaydn Davis late in games, and the roster will be decent. It's the tough schedule that makes a 9-3 quite possible.

7 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

Get a QB in the spring portal to start and maybe ease in Jaydn Davis late in games, and the roster will be decent. It's the tough schedule that makes a 9-3 quite possible.

jaydn davis is a true freshman whose stock dropped considerably over the last couple years when he didnt grow any taller and his game flatlined a bit.  in fairness, so did mccarthys and you have to be pretty impressed with michigan's scouting ability.

that said, davis is not starting at michigan next year.  i doubt he plays outside a few early season blow outs. if they have designs on the big ten they need a more veteran qb. they will need a qb from the portal.  it opens again in april.

they could use a receiver (or two) also.  

1 hour ago, buddha said:

rod moore coming back.  that's huge.

thanks nil!

Yeah, that's solid.  The D should be elite again.  The offense needs to find a couple WRs.  If they go for Tua in the portal, i'll be a little disappointed because it means Orji isn't the man, because he otherwise looks like a weapon.  

trente jones declares for the draft.  that hurts.

harbaugh confirmed interview with the chargers.  the raiders making a short term decision like hiring antonio pierce instead of talking to harbaugh is a very raiders decision to make.

The QB Merry-Go-Round

The teams in absolute urgent need for a new starter

(1) New England -  I see them keeping Zappe, but they need a starter

(2) Denver - Need starter & backup

(3) Atlanta - Ridder should be a decent backup

(4) Washington - Sam Howell is a good backup option

(5) Pittsburgh - They need something there.  Kenny P can be a backup

Teams that need to start considering options

NY Giants - Stuck with Daniel Jones one more year?   DeVito had his 15 minutes

Chicago - They'll draft one and have to weather the learning cure.  Stroud was a unicorn

Minnesota - Need to re-sign Cousins.  Mullens is fine as a backuup

Tampa Bay - What to do with Baker?  We'll see what happens tonight

Teams that need some help 

NY Jets -  Need a good backup and probably need to take a shot at a young QB in the draft (3rd/4th Round)

LA Raiders - They need to upgrade O'Connell

LA Chargers - maybe upgrade backup

Cleveland - Stuck with their starter.  Re-sign Flacco? 

Jacksonville - Fine, but Trevor needs to show something next year

Tennessee - Gotta give Will Levis his shot.  Probably upgrade at backup.  Does Willis stay? 

Philly - They need a reliable backup.  Not sure Hurts will last

Green Bay - Probably needs a backup

New Orleans - May be stuck with Carr.  I think Jameis goes bye-bye for many reasons

Arizona - Need a reliable backup - Kyler will keep getting injured

LA Rams - Another 2 years for Stafford - Time to consider drafting someone with raw potential

Seattle - Geno had his moment, who knows what happens with a new coach

Carolina - Does Bryce Young suck or was he put into a terrible situation.  I think it's more the latter

Teams that seem to be fine (for now)

Buffalo - Set

Miami - Set

KC - Set

Baltimore - Set

Cincinnati - Fine

Houston - Fine

Indianapolis - Seem to be fine, but AR could be like RG3 with injuries

Dallas - seems okay, but Dak can't just be a regular season guy much longer

Detroit - Set, don't have to rush their draft pick into action

San Francisco - Mr. Irrelevant is an MVP candidate.   

Edited by Motor City Sonics

Today it was Atlanta. At least Harbaughs camp isn't trying to keep it a secret this time around. All the charades with Minnesota last time was pretty ridiculous.

So the A2news reports that what Harbaugh wants from UM is a guarantee they won't fire him no matter how the NCAA hammers him and that whatever decision is made can't be Manuel's. 

I can see the top admin taking the coach's side versus the AD & NCAA easily enough, what's a little trickier is that something like half the regents are lawyers - trial/liability lawyers even. Even if they want Harbaugh for every other (as in $$$$) reason, I could see them having more bias than some other board might against writing anyone a blank check against unknown future liability. Seems like an unlawyerly kind of thing to do......🤷‍♂️

Crazy what’s going on at Alabama at the moment.  Saban leaving triggered a 30 day free transfer window where everyone in the country can recruit their players.  Since the portal is now closed until after spring ball, Alabama is stuck and can’t do a a thing to replace anyone that leaves until the portal opens again in May or another coach leaves a program triggering that window.    It will be interesting to see how this impacts Michigan if Harbaugh leaves and if something similar happens or if they can do a better job locking down the fort.  

Seeing some of the exodus from Bama's wealth of talent is what's most frustrating about the yearly Harbaugh situation. Normally a team of Michigan's current stature would be able to possibly bring in some of those prized commodities but when your HC always has 1 foot out the door it makes it almost impossible to get those guys. Same with all the other top portal guys. 

Then when Harbaugh finally makes his decision all the good players will already be gone.

Same with the Head Coaches, Im almost positive that Moore is/will be the guy regardless of who else is out there but hypothetically if Michigan did want to go outside and hire the top guys will have already moved on to other jobs. 

Edited by RandyMarsh

6 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

Today it was Atlanta. At least Harbaughs camp isn't trying to keep it a secret this time around. All the charades with Minnesota last time was pretty ridiculous.

So the A2news reports that what Harbaugh wants from UM is a guarantee they won't fire him no matter how the NCAA hammers him and that whatever decision is made can't be Manuel's. 

I can see the top admin taking the coach's side versus the AD & NCAA easily enough, what's a little trickier is that something like half the regents are lawyers - trial/liability lawyers even. Even if they want Harbaugh for every other (as in $$$$) reason, I could see them having more bias than some other board might against writing anyone a blank check against unknown future liability. Seems like an unlawyerly kind of thing to do......🤷‍♂️

sometimes the obvious answer is the answer.  harbaugh wants to go to the nfl, that's why he's interviewing with nfl teams.  it doesnt have anything to do with what michigan will or wont put in his contract.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, buddha said:

sometimes the obvious answer is the answer.  harbaugh wants to go to the nfl, that's why he's interviewing with nfl teams.  it doesnt have anything to do with what michigan will or wont put in his contract.

Maybe - or he just wants the best deal he can get in either place. I think he wants a lot of things - not all of which he can have at the same time. If there is one thing we ought to know about Harbaugh by now it's that that 'single minded laser focus' talk is his own self deflection for the fact that his mind is never quite clear about what he wants.

1 hour ago, RandyMarsh said:

Seeing some of the exodus from Bama's wealth of talent is what's most frustrating about the yearly Harbaugh situation. Normally a team of Michigan's current stature would be able to possibly bring in some of those prized commodities but when your HC always has 1 foot out the door it makes it almost impossible to get those guys. Same with all the other top portal guys. 

Then when Harbaugh finally makes his decision all the good players will already be gone.

Same with the Head Coaches, Im almost positive that Moore is/will be the guy regardless of who else is out there but hypothetically if Michigan did want to go outside and hire the top guys will have already moved on to other jobs. 

i doubt michigan would be a place for a lot of those guys unless they are guys michigan recruited previously and knows it can get past michigan's academic admissions department.

1 hour ago, RandyMarsh said:

Yeah - this is where he's just being greedy. He's wants the U to leave his offer on the table so he can wait out the NFL decision process, that's a bad deal for the U if he walks anyway and Moore (or whoever) is left with no time to put next year's team together. If Buddha is right and his mind is made up to go the U at least gets their $1.5M back if they stand pat without sweetening the current offer.