If corporate naming rights went away...........what should our ballpark be called?

39 minutes ago, bobrob2004 said:

Comerica used to be very Detroit.  It started out as the Detroit Savings Fund Institute and then The Detroit Savings Bank, The Detroit Bank, and then The Detroit Bank & Trust Company.  They didn't change to Comerica until the 1980s.  In 2007 they decided to move their headquarters out of Detroit and to Dallas.  

Okay... I do seem to remember something about when they moved HQ. Being a westsider I'm wasn't familiar at all with them being a Detroit thing.

speaking of naming rights, I was involved with U.S. Cellular, a Chicago-based wireless company, when the Chicago White Sox decided to sell them for Comiskey.   At that time, Chicago native, Joan Cusack (Sixteen Candles, School of Rock) was the spokesperson in our advertising campaign.  The local sports radio jocks refused to call it U.S. Cellular Field, and instead referred to it as "The Joan."  Needless to say, the U.S. Cellular team were not happy.  Guaranteed Rate has subsequently purchased the rights.

1 hour ago, Tenacious D said:

speaking of naming rights, I was involved with U.S. Cellular, a Chicago-based wireless company, when the Chicago White Sox decided to sell them for Comiskey.   At that time, Chicago native, Joan Cusack (Sixteen Candles, School of Rock) was the spokesperson in our advertising campaign.  The local sports radio jocks refused to call it U.S. Cellular Field, and instead referred to it as "The Joan."  Needless to say, the U.S. Cellular team were not happy.  Guaranteed Rate has subsequently purchased the rights.

I still call it US cellular or the cell.  And Jacobs Field. Honestly I bet if you gave me a list of all the stadium names I would miss 1/3 of them if I had to match to the team. 

35 minutes ago, oblong said:

I still call it US cellular or the cell.  And Jacobs Field. Honestly I bet if you gave me a list of all the stadium names I would miss 1/3 of them if I had to match to the team. 

1/3 is probably pretty good.  I actually thought after Texas moved into their grill.  I think I would struggle to get to half.

• 1 month later...

I'd be happy if it just went to being called Meijer Park.  Much rather have it be named after a Michigan tradition than a bank.  If corporations weren't able to sponsor anymore, I don't see any reason why it wouldn't be Tiger Stadium again.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dave Christian said:

I want to bring it back to my childhood.

I would like it to be renamed "Briggs Stadium.😂

Nope.  What they didn't tell us in our childhood was that Briggs was a terrible man. That's a place we don't need to go back to.

Edited by gehringer_2

3 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

Nope.  What they didn't tell us in our childhood was that Briggs was a terrible man. That's a place we don't need to go back to.

Hmmm, that's the first that I heard that about Briggs.

My dad and my uncle took my brother and I to our first Tigers game when I was six years old.

That was 69 years ago at Briggs Stadium.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Maybe we can sell the team to a group of investors led by Tiger Woods and he will decide to name the stadium after himself so we can get Tiger Stadium back. 

I like this idea. But go the next step and plant a row or two of trees all the way around the park and then you have the "Tiger Woods." Perfert.

We need to get our people on the phone to his people.

Edited by gehringer_2

1 hour ago, RedRamage said:

Navin Field?

Wiki says is was Navin only unti 1938.  I have no idea if it was just a joke with my dad or if there were other people that weren't big on calling it 'Briggs' but he mostly continued to call the ballpark 'Navin' field so I always knew that name.