2021/22 Regular Season Thread

1 minute ago, slothfacekilla said:

The Athletic released a ranking of Yzerman's trades so far and I was shocked to read this blurb:

"entering Monday night’s games, Gagner’s 35 points as a Red Wing were actually one more than Athanasiou has posted since the trade. Athanasiou has since moved on to the Los Angeles Kings."

I thought AA was doing decently after the trade but I guess I haven't been paying close attention...

still, speed has a value beyond pts - especially to a team that skates as badly as the Wings, and AA had it and the current Wings need it. It was still a great trade, but I wouldn't necessarily agree that in the short term it isn't hurting just because Gagner has equalled AA points.

26 minutes ago, slothfacekilla said:

The Athletic released a ranking of Yzerman's trades so far and I was shocked to read this blurb:

"entering Monday night’s games, Gagner’s 35 points as a Red Wing were actually one more than Athanasiou has posted since the trade. Athanasiou has since moved on to the Los Angeles Kings."

I thought AA was doing decently after the trade but I guess I haven't been paying close attention...

Surprising, but by my count games played since the trade are Gagner 101 AA 75 so that explains a bit. AA was hurt and has only played 19 games this season.

50 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

still, speed has a value beyond pts - especially to a team that skates as badly as the Wings, and AA had it and the current Wings need it. It was still a great trade, but I wouldn't necessarily agree that in the short term it isn't hurting just because Gagner has equalled AA points.

I see what you're saying but unless AA changed his playing style I never saw him as much of a contributor outside of his points.  Just glancing at his zone starts last season AA is still highly protected by the Kings (third lowest d-zone starting percentage and the two players lower than him played significantly less minutes than him and got less offensive zone starts than AA) so I'm guessing it is more of the same from him.  Gagner on the other hand has the highest percentage of defensive zone starts of any Detroit player this season including defensemen.  Speed is nice but I don't agree with the idea that AA would change this roster at all just because he skates fast. 

27 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

Surprising, but by my count games played since the trade are Gagner 101 AA 75 so that explains a bit. AA was hurt and has only played 19 games this season.

This makes a lot of sense, though Gagner is .34 ppg after the trade and AA is .45.  So pretty similar especially with the roles that each player plays.  They average about the same time on ice with AA seeing a minute and a half of power play time per game with the Kings.  So there's that...

I didn't mean for my comment to be this deep but I can't say I expected fans to ever long for AA's intangibles.

Link dumps!

I pulled an autograph of this kid this weekend randomly so I hope he works out haha.  Veleno back to Grand Rapids though I have to imagine they are potentially moving a D (Leddy?) or shutting down DDK.  Even if Juolevi sucks I still like taking this chance a lot.  Though quick reading up it seems like he had back and hip injuries that have really affected his skating/pivoting so if that isn't something he can regain then he's probably toast.

HHe makes end to end rushes look like he's strolling in the park.  Draper was in town to watch Frolunda, along with draft stuff I'm guessing they're starting to assess Elmer and Edvinsson for next season.  Kronwall was there too, and they got a look at Niederbach.

Looking good!

Zito did NOT like that dude working him over wow.  I kinda love it.  Not that it changes too much the defenseman who started it and then got his ass kicked is Logan Mailloux...

5 minutes ago, slothfacekilla said:

Though quick reading up it seems like he had back and hip i

Missed stuff about the back. Never good for any athlete, let alone a hockey player....

Had Covid  also - but again I didn't much about how badly.

Edited by gehringer_2

1 hour ago, 1984Echoes said:

It's time to move on.

Class move as maybe, just maybe, he catches on as a depth/ 8th defenseman for a playoff team...

too bad, he seemed to be playing better at the end of last season but it doesn't seem to be there anymore.

Edited by gehringer_2

1 hour ago, 1984Echoes said:

It's time to move on.

Class move as maybe, just maybe, he catches on as a depth/ 8th defenseman for a playoff team...

he was terrible here playing with seider, no one is going to pick him up outside of EDMONTON!

come on kenny...do it.

https://www.nhl.com/redwings/news/cross-hanas-signs-entry-level-contract/c-331726274

The Detroit Red Wings today signed right wing Cross Hanas to a three-year entry-level contract.

Hanas, 20, has skated in 53 games for the Western Hockey League's Portland Winterhawks this season and ranks among the team leaders with 22 goals (4th), 48 assists (1st), 70 points (1st), six power-play goals (4th), a plus-24 rating (5th), 65 penalty minutes (2nd) and 179 shots on goal (5th). The 6-foot-1, 174-pound forward has appeared in 186 career games in four seasons with the Winterhawks, totaling 145 points (54-91-145), 167 penalty minutes and a plus-49 rating. While the 2020-21 WHL campaign was on hold, Hanas also skated in 27 games with the Lincoln Stars in the United States Hockey League, logging 16 points (3-13-16) and 99 penalty minutes.

1 hour ago, buddha said:

reports that bert is on the block.

chiarot gets a number one pick.  if a team trades for bert, it should be for an absolute haul.  if not, keep him.

they need high picks. Berggren and Edvinsson may be ready for next year but there isn't enough top talent in the pipeline.

Big Questions at ESPN:

Teams that will be more active than you think?

Everyone knows the Panthers and Avs are going for it. ... But this question is about the unexpected, so I present to you the St. Louis Blues and Detroit Red Wings...

And Detroit? A few people have told me to keep an eye on them, and there's a belief that anyone on the roster is in play outside Moritz Seider and Lucas Raymond (though I have a hard time seeing them part with captain Dylan Larkin, either). This text I received from an NHL executive should put the rest of the league on notice: "Steve Y is up to something." Dangerous words.

That made me chuckle... Hopefully, Stevie Y lives up to that comment...