2023 NFL Draft As-It-Happens

My goodness.   So down on 'em.   The defense has already improved a lot.   They can improve it more with 4 picks tomorrow.   The offense was brilliant even before Jaymo was part of it and they added an electric playmaker who might give us some Barry Sandersesque thrills.     

Burying the team before the first practice of the spring.   

tsk tsk tsk.  

Let it play out.    Holmes has a plan that showed incredible growth last year.  This is all part of it.      A running back isn't great in the first round because of the short shelf life, but they can be a game-changing talent in the short term.  The Lions are going for it NOW,  **** 2026. 

1 minute ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Damn are the Eagles going to be tough to beat. Even after losing guys like Hargrave in the off-season, this great draft makes up for it if Jalen Carter is a stud.

If Nolan Smith was so great, why did he drop to 30?     If Jalen Carter was the best player in the draft, why was he passed over?     

I don’t think either Gibbs or Campbell are the reaches some media makes them out to be. I think they were both top-ten targets on Holmes’ board.

I do question a mediocre trade to pick Gibbs when you had Bijan there for the taking. Gibbs v. Robinson will be compared for the next five years and I really hope that doesn’t become a regret.

I think Porter is painfully obvious at #34, and he could be an absolute steal. Branch if he’s not there. Either way you should have a day one starter in the secondary.

I'm not gonna lie, I'm baffled by this draft and not just the Lions but in terms of the Lions picks, took two players at less than premium positions way before they were projected to go. Of course, there's a lot of variance in every teams' board especially in this draft where there are very few legit 1st round talents but my first reaction to both picks was "WTF?". I actually thought they would trade up for Gibbs late in the 1st and might take Campbell at 48 but 12 and 18 I did NOT expect. This seems very "smartest guy in the room" but we'll see, I'm just a fan so what do I know and Holmes has a good track record so we'll just trust in him.

I'm not sure why they had to throw the 3rd in to the Arizona trade even with a 5th coming back. I thought 6 for 12+34 alone was fair but, again, what do I know, I'm just a fan. I do like that they have three 2nds so I assume we'll see some trench heavy picks tomorrow but it's Holmes so who knows.

Also, Swift has to get traded now I'd think. They didn't draft Gibbs at 12 to redshirt him. This is Montgomery and Gibbs backfield now.

Also, passing on Carter and allowing the Eagles (a team they're chasing) to get him could be a fatal mistake. Then they get Nolan Smith, Eagles just killing it.

Edited by NYLion
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Motown Bombers said:

Once the QBs were off the board, that pick became less valuable as we've seen with the Levis slide. Still, 12 and 34 seemed fair for 6. 

I think Holmes is generally a master of the draft, but I think he got caught off guard when Witherspoon went at #5.

Not to say he panicked and traded, just to say that I think if he could do it all over again, he might take Bijan at #6 and Campbell at #18 and be okay with not having #34. We will see though. Either of Porter or Branch could be a massive steal.

2 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I think Holmes is generally a master of the draft, but I think he got caught off guard when Witherspoon went at #5.

Not to say he panicked and traded, just to say that I think if he could do it all over again, he might take Bijan at #6 and Campbell at #18 and be okay with not having #34. We will see though. Either of Porter or Branch could be a massive steal.

I don't know, he seemed awfully excited to get Gibbs. He had a bigger reaction than when he got Sewell.