2023 NFL Draft As-It-Happens

Id rather keep Swift for what little I think we can get for him at point. Not to mention the rare times he is healthy he is a difference maker so having him in the backfield with Gibbs maybe being in the slot or being used for jet sweeps could be a nightmare for opposing defenses. 

18 minutes ago, buddha said:

deebo is a LOT bigger than gibbs.  maybe in the way they use him?

i see gibbs as mccaffery lite.

Yep...Gibbs is a guy you can line up in the slot...he has the speed to blow past DB's running straight up the seam.  When Jaymo comes back...they could put a ton of pressure on the secondary and create openings underneath for Sun God and the TE's

24 minutes ago, buddha said:

deebo is a LOT bigger than gibbs.  maybe in the way they use him?

i see gibbs as mccaffery lite.

Exactly.   Deebo is 3 inches taller and has and extra 15 pounds of muscle.     These guys are not nearly the same.   I don’t see Gibbs playing WR.  I see him as an RB they motion out wide in certain sets and running all the arrow and wheel routes they currently run with Swift.   Monty will help with the hard running in the middle and that should hopefully help Gibbs durability.  

20 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Id rather keep Swift for what little I think we can get for him at point. Not to mention the rare times he is healthy he is a difference maker so having him in the backfield with Gibbs maybe being in the slot or being used for jet sweeps could be a nightmare for opposing defenses. 

I just don't know there is room for three RBs. We could see Swift get the Kerryon treatment. The Lions signed Peterson and drafted Swift which relegated Kerryon to the third RB and basically got little use before leaving. 

How many touches, receptions, yards, and TDs does Gibbs need to have per season to justify this pick over Carter and Wilson?

I'm going to say a minimum 8-10 touches per game with 600-700 yards rushing. Then another 60-70 receptions with 600-700 yards receiving. I'd say his scoring totals need to be between 12-14 TDs. Those aforementioned stats are similar to what Alvin Kamra puts up each year. In other words, for this pick to have been worth it, both Carter and Wilson have to be busts or subpar players and Gibbs has to produce Alvin Kamara like stats. He can't just be another "nice player", he's got to be top-tier.

just shows how variable this all is

12. Lions: Jahmyr Gibbs, RB, Alabama
Grade: D

Yes, he's an air back. Yes, he can do a lot of things. But, again, why take him here when there is a guy like corner Christian Gonzalez on the board? He's good but he's a back. At least it wasn't a top-10 pick.

18. Lions: Jack Campbell, LB, Iowa
Grade: A+

I love this pick for the Lions. This kid will be special. He is big, can run and will improve as a cover player as he gets acclimated to the NFL game. He's one of my favorite players in this draft. 

5 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

How many touches, receptions, yards, and TDs does Gibbs need to have per season to justify this pick over Carter and Wilson?

I'm going to say a minimum 8-10 touches per game with 600-700 yards rushing. Then another 60-70 receptions with 600-700 yards receiving. I'd say his scoring totals need to be between 12-14 TDs. Those aforementioned stats are similar to what Alvin Kamra puts up each year. In other words, for this pick to have been worth it, both Carter and Wilson have to be busts or subpar players and Gibbs has to produce Alvin Kamara like stats. He can't just be another "nice player", he's got to be top-tier.

I think it's pretty hard to compare wildly different position players and try to value one vs. the other based on specific stats. Now, I know comparisons like that happen, but I don't know if this can be done to a science. To many factors like how a player is used, the team he's on, other players, etc. etc. etc. I think it'll be more like 3-5 years from now looking at it and saying... which would you rather have had now that we've seen what happened with each? It's gonna be a lot more subjective vs. objective unless one of the players is a bust.

6 minutes ago, RedRamage said:

I think it's pretty hard to compare wildly different position players and try to value one vs. the other based on specific stats. Now, I know comparisons like that happen, but I don't know if this can be done to a science. To many factors like how a player is used, the team he's on, other players, etc. etc. etc. I think it'll be more like 3-5 years from now looking at it and saying... which would you rather have had now that we've seen what happened with each? It's gonna be a lot more subjective vs. objective unless one of the players is a bust.

What's wrong with saying he needs to be an Alvin Kamara like player with Karma like stats?

17 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

What if Carter and Wilson turn out to only be "nice players" or are you just assuming that both are going to be these studs despite being graded less than guys like Thibs and Walker were last year and nobody was crowning them  All Pros when they were drafted. 

Edited by RandyMarsh

1 minute ago, Motown Bombers said:

Holmes and Campbell weren't going to draft a player who shows up to a pro day fat and out of shape. 

I think this is true and I said as much going into the draft. It just stings when Super Bowl winning GM Howie Roseman does it. If the Raiders did it you'd laugh and think the guy was going to be a bust. But because Howie Roseman and the Eagles did it, that makes you gulp a little.

Just now, Mr.TaterSalad said:

I think this is true and I said as much going into the draft. It just stings when Super Bowl winning GM Howie Roseman does it. If the Raiders did it you'd laugh and think the guy was going to be a bust. But because Howie Roseman and the Eagles did it, that makes you gulp a little.

Confirmation bias?  

1 minute ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

exactly.  howie roseman loves georgia defenders.  with good reason, georgia buys the best athletes on defense.

carter is one of the most talented players in the draft, but risky.  the eagles bet on that talent and their ability to get it out of him.  the lions passed and went for stiff linebackers who are captains...

9 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Would Arizona have any interest in Swift as part of a package for Hopkins? This offense once Williams gets back with Hopkins, St Brown, Montgomery and Gibbs would be a matchup nightmare. 

one year of deandre swift?  what does that do for a team like the cardinals who are rebuilding?  murray is out all year.  i dont see them caring for deandre swift.

the eagles might be a team that is interested.  or hold on to swift and wait until mccaffery gets injured again, maybe the niners will be interested.

but heck, its the nfl.  who knows?  

3 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

The Rams drafted Gurley 10th and I don't think they have any regrets with that pick. We know Goff can take a team to a Super Bowl when he has a strong running game to fall back on and play action pass off of. Gibbs is a HR hitter so he's effective in the play action game, he also a great checkdown option which we know Goff can get a little eager to do at times. The Lions also have John Dorsey in the room who put together the foundation that beat Roseman's team. 

Just now, buddha said:

one year of deandre swift?  what does that do for a team like the cardinals who are rebuilding?  murray is out all year.  i dont see them caring for deandre swift.

the eagles might be a team that is interested.  or hold on to swift and wait until mccaffery gets injured again, maybe the niners will be interested.

but heck, its the nfl.  who knows?  

Murray was a big part of their running game. They will now have to rely on others to pick up that slack. It gives them a chance to audition Swift. At first I thought Swift's cap number was larger than it was so it seemed like a way to offset the cap hit of Hopkins but Swift has little guarantees.