2023 NFL Draft As-It-Happens

2 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Campbell's RAS score was one of the best over the past 30 years. Tavai was a 4.3. Holmes has pretty much said they go by GPS and don't put a lot into 40 times. 

jahlani-tavai-ras-18442.png?resize=806%2C522&ssl=1

DING DING DING DING DING................That GPS is how the team judges speed,  moving side to side, reaction time, being able to stop and change directions,  far more valuable than running a straight line.   It's kind of like WAR, each team/agency has their own way of measuring it and it seems to have favored the last 2 drafts.        

I'd much rather have Brad Holmes running our draft than Mel Kiper or Bumfuk Douchebag or any other talking heads.  These guys make weathermen look like Nostradamus 

I just can't believe how people are reacting.   We don't know what their big board was.    

Remember, DC said they spoke to Carter’s teammates and learned things that were “interesting.” Apparently they were interesting in not a flattering way. 

Campbell may have been over-drafted, but he is not unathletic. (Which is sometimes a code word for white.) His RAS was 9.98. His three come shuttle time was best at the combine for the past five years. 

Holmes is not interested in positional value. He is interested in using first round picks to get unmatched athletic ability. 

6 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Im more skeptical of the Gibbs pick, I have zero qualms about the Campbell pick,  in fact I really like it. 

I don't think either one of these guys needs encouragement from Dan Campbell to run through a wall to win.  That's their type of guys.   Carter, probably not.    Wil Anderson was gone.   

Image tagged in kevin bacon - animal house - Imgflip

It’s not a secret that Holmes and MCDC value personality and culture fit more than most other teams.  A great interview with them can go farther than someone’s game tape and workout numbers.   Naturally, they are going to have a widely different big board than other teams and even more varied from the mockers that completely discount it.    

Holmes said Jack Campbell was the highest player on their board at 18 and it wasn’t very close.    Everyone loved his interview and attitude. 

This pick shouldn’t be a surprise.  it’s exactly the player they wanted.   Some can say it’s stupid to pick him at 18 when he could’ve been had later but I would counter it would be dumber to pass on the highest player on your board because of what someone else’s board may look like.   

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, RandyMarsh said:

Holmes: "hey Jalen this is Brad Holmes ready to be a Lion?"

Jalen: "idk how early do practices start and do I get a v6 or v8 Mustang from the Fords?"

Brad : *clicks* "hey Dan I think we need to call Arizona back about that trade offer"

It was probably more likely Jalen: "Give me a second. I need to change my bet. I had money on being taken 7th."

• Haha 1

Assuming the Steelers will take Joey Porter Jr.   Who is the pick at 34?   I think it may be either Avila or Torrence.    Branch, Mingo, or Benton are all good bets too.   There are still so many good CB left on the board that I think they can wait until one of the other 2 picks.  

Getting the 2nd best RB, and top LB and IOL in the draft would be a great first 3 picks.  

Edited by Hongbit

1 minute ago, AlaskanTigersFan said:

I don't want to sound crazy, but you think they are so excited trying to exude Job Security since Mrs. Ford was there? Maybe the over-reaction so they can convince Mrs. Ford they got a steal....... 🤣

If witherspoon was indeed their guy I would like to see how they reacted when the pick was made. 

Just now, Hongbit said:

Assuming the Steelers will take Joey Porter Jr.   Who is the pick at 34?   I think it may be either Avila or Torrence.    Branch, Mingo, or Benton are all good bets too.   There are still so many good CB left on the board that I think they can wait until one of the other 2 picks.  

I've read the Steelers are getting calls about the pick presumably to take Levis so it's not a forgone conclusion Porter is gone. I would still like to add to the offense and am thinking guard or receiver. I think they should keep all their 2nd round picks and start consolidating later in the draft. 

18 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I just can't believe how people are reacting.   We don't know what their big board was.    

No, we don't know what they big board was. But we do know what the conscious big board was and it didn't have these guys rated as high. So, the question then is this:

Were all the media talking heads wrong? Was all the insider information lies or deceptions? I mean these guys are professionals at their jobs as well. They have contacts, they have scoops, they have experience... they don't have the same info that front offices do and they obviously don't have perfect knowledge in how all 32 teams have ranked players, but they also have more knowledge, insight, and experience than your average internet message board poster. So yeah, it's possible they were all wrong, but it's also more likely that they weren't.

Well, do Holmes and co know something that 31 NFL teams don't? Maybe, but this seems unlikely too. Time will tell of course.

I don't think it's out of line at all to be wary of picks that seem to be reaches, and I don't think anyone here is saying that Holmes suddenly got stupid in the last month. Some of us are just worried that he may have overreached... maybe.

1 minute ago, RedRamage said:

No, we don't know what they big board was. But we do know what the conscious big board was and it didn't have these guys rated as high. So, the question then is this:

Were all the media talking heads wrong? Was all the insider information lies or deceptions? I mean these guys are professionals at their jobs as well. They have contacts, they have scoops, they have experience... they don't have the same info that front offices do and they obviously don't have perfect knowledge in how all 32 teams have ranked players, but they also have more knowledge, insight, and experience than your average internet message board poster. So yeah, it's possible they were all wrong, but it's also more likely that they weren't.

Well, do Holmes and co know something that 31 NFL teams don't? Maybe, but this seems unlikely too. Time will tell of course.

I don't think it's out of line at all to be wary of picks that seem to be reaches, and I don't think anyone here is saying that Holmes suddenly got stupid in the last month. Some of us are just worried that he may have overreached... maybe.

Look at the grades of the players not the rankings. Again it has been said for months that the guys from 10-40ish are very similar and can almost be interchangeable. It's just that somebody has got to be 10 and somebody 40 even though they are almost equal players. 

21 minutes ago, LongLiveMaroth said:

To be fair Best was a game-breaker when healthy

For all the crap Swift gets for durability he’s a little bigger than Gibbs.  RBs have less value because it’s hard to stay healthy and productive. Hopefully Gibbs is smart enough to ignore the noise about battling for the extra yard and just steps out of bounds.  Limit the hits. 

3 minutes ago, RedRamage said:

The consensus is that Gibbs was the second best RB in the draft and Campbell the best LB. The issue appears to be the Lions drafted two positions higher than people feel they should have. It's not like they took Campbell over another LB who was rated higher. 

21 minutes ago, LongLiveMaroth said:

To be fair Best was a game-breaker when healthy

Best was totally a health bust. in 2011 he was averaging well over 100 yard combined before the injury. If we get 1700 all purpose yards out of Gibbs I'd consider that a major success.