2023 NFL Draft As-It-Happens

Second-round mocks virtually never go as expected, because draft boards are all over the place by now. But some targets:

QB: None. Tanner McKee might make sense in the 3rd round, but I think we probably pick up a backup in the 3rd day like Max Duggan or Jaren Hall. I doubt Hooker is considered, but you never know. They have a lot of capital.

RB: None. I expect Swift to be shipped out of town by the end of the weekend though. Depending on how the board falls out, I think Swift + a 5th for Hopkins is plausible. I don't think Arizona would necessarily love making that deal, but they need to offload him and they may like the upside with Swift.

WR: Jonathan Mingo, Cedric Tillman, and Rashee Rice... Jalin Hyatt, Josh Downs, and Kayshon Boutte are possibilities, but I don't see the fit as much. I think they're all Y or Z fits, which we don't really need. I prefer a big bodied red zone threat, which the former guys I mentioned are better suited for.

TE: Sam LaPorta, Luke Musgrave, and Tucker Kraft ... I don't see the fit with Michael Mayer (though he could be really good) and I've heard character whispers on Darnell Washington

OL: O'Cyrus Torrence, Cody Mauch, Steve Avila... Coming away with one of these three would be great. Torrence and Mauch could be plug-and-play options at RG and give us flexibility for the future of our offensive line as Jackson enters his contract year.

DT: Keeanu Benton and Gervon Dexter... Benton is a Dan Campbell guy. He's not my favorite prospect but he'd contribute. I actually like Dexter a bit more but he's definitely boom-or-bust and could fall a bit. I'm curious the Lions thoughts on him, because his potential is through the room. Siaki Ika is an intriguing prospect too, but he has some medical red flags that may see him drop to the third day. I wouldn't take him in the 2nd round. If we move up from the 5th into the 4th, I might be interested in him.

EDGE: I doubt they pick up anyone, just based on the room we have currently. But, if they do, Adetomiwa Adebawore, Tuli Tuipuloto, Mike Morris, and Isaiah Foskey are all guys who had round one projections at one point or another. Could be really good value.

LB: I doubt they address this position twice this early. That room should be set with Campbell, Anzalone, and Rodrigo. Just needs some depth.

CB: Joey Porter Jr. could be a plug-and-play option at outside corner. I really want him if the Steelers don't snag him first. Quan Martin is a name to look out for as well if we don't take Porter. More of a swiss army knife defender... Kelee Ringo, Julius Brents, Tyrique Stevenson, Mekhi Garner, Cam Mitchell, Antonio Johnson, and Cam Smith are also all still out there. There are just a ton of options to pick up a really quality player here.

DB: In addition to Quan Martin and Antonio Johnson (who could play both safety or slot), Brian Branch is another guy who can play single-high or slot and excel from day one.

I think my top targets right now with the three picks would be Porter, Branch, Quan Martin, or Antonio Johnson for the secondary; Mingo or Tillman for a receiver; and Torrence or Mauch for a guard.

Then if Gervon Dexter is there in the 4th, package Swift and a 5th to go get him. Target a later round TE and QB, and just acquire depth anywhere and everywhere with what's left. 

Edited by MichiganCardinal
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Not sure how accurate this is as this isn't coming from Florio himself and I didn't see it on Pro Football Talk on Twitter.

Well considering its from yesterday before the draft...

Edited by KL2

1 hour ago, Motown Bombers said:

Was Dizon considered the best LB available at the time? 

no idea, but considering who drafted him i'm sure he wasnt.  and campbell isnt either if you consider some of these edge players as linebackers (anderson, smith, macdonald).

i doubt any of us are old enough or have a good enough memory to remember if chris spielman was either.  i remember him being drafted, but i was a teenager.

9 minutes ago, buddha said:

jack campbell was the consensus 3rd linebacker behind the kid from arkansas and the other kid from clemson.  both of whom are still available.

i hope campbell works out.  i like iowa players for some reason.

I don't get where you get consensus from. PFF has Campbell 1, Walter Football had him 1, Draftbuzz had him 1, Scouts Inc. had him 1 in fact I've seen far more people have him 1 than at 3.