2023 NFL Draft As-It-Happens

4 hours ago, buddha said:

exactly.  howie roseman loves georgia defenders.  with good reason, georgia buys the best athletes on defense.

carter is one of the most talented players in the draft, but risky.  the eagles bet on that talent and their ability to get it out of him.  the lions passed and went for stiff linebackers who are captains...

Stiff? Campbell's one of the best athletes in this draft/ras.

1 minute ago, Cruzer1 said:

I think the Lions will still use Anzalone a lot, but he might move to the outside. I think he will be used on run downs, and Campbell/Rodrigo on passing downs.

This would play to respective strengths. I didn’t like Anzalone because he can’t cover a tight end to save his life. When he has flashes, it’s in reading a developing play and blowing it up. Let him just do that and I’ll probably like him a lot more.

23 minutes ago, buddha said:

jack campbell was the consensus 3rd linebacker behind the kid from arkansas and the other kid from clemson.  both of whom are still available.

This was probably true before the combine but Jack blew past those guys with his insane workout numbers.

6th best RAS for LB since 1987. 

5 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

This would play to respective strengths. I didn’t like Anzalone because he can’t cover a tight end to save his life. When he has flashes, it’s in reading a developing play and blowing it up. Let him just do that and I’ll probably like him a lot more.

I think it's also possible they play more 4-3 instead of 4-2 now that they have depth at LB. 

• Like 1

Just now, Motown Bombers said:

I think it's also possible they play more 4-3 instead of 4-2 now that they have depth at LB. 

I think their base will remain nickel (4-2-5), it’s what I think 30/32 teams are using, but I agree there will be times when it looks more like a 4-3, with Campbell serving as the 5th “defensive back”.

1 minute ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I think their base will remain nickel (4-2-5), it’s what I think 30/32 teams are using, but I agree there will be times when it looks more like a 4-3, with Campbell serving as the 5th “defensive back”.

Rodriguez has the size to be that hybrid safety/LB. His RAS score was elite except for size. I do like how adding Campbell pushes Anzalone and Rodriguez down to roles they are probably better suited for. There could be some good downstream impacts of this pick. 

20 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

I don't get where you get consensus from. PFF has Campbell 1, Walter Football had him 1, Draftbuzz had him 1, Scouts Inc. had him 1 in fact I've seen far more people have him 1 than at 3. 

#3 on nfl.com

#3 on athletic

#2 on "grinding the mocks" (which is an aggregate) 

https://grindingthemocks.shinyapps.io/Dashboard/

has a nice graph showing his expected draft position based on mocks with a consensus epd of 43.

26 minutes ago, Cruzer1 said:

Stiff? Campbell's one of the best athletes in this draft/ras.

THS: Above-average size and frame with room to add more mass … anticipates well and trusts his eyes to play out in front … has the range and awareness to mirror the run at the line of scrimmage … shows the gap-to-gap quickness and lateral shuffle to work around the noise and find the ball carrier … transitions well in his zone coverage drops (his 6.74 three-cone and 4.24 short shuttle were No. 1 among linebackers at the Combine) … displays a keen sense for route spacing and finds passing lanes (15 career passes defended) … plays with the body strength to match up with blockers … elite toughness … two-year team captain in high school and again in college … not very vocal, but his teammates say he sets the tone with his tenacious effort, and his coaches call him an “amazing” practice player (Iowa head coach Kirk Ferentz: “Everything he does, he goes hard”) … egoless and humble off the field (didn’t pursue NIL deals and considers social media a “distraction”) … film study in the foundation of his game … became the first Iowa player to win the William V. Campbell Trophy (Academic Heisman) … combined for 271 tackles over his final two seasons.

WEAKNESSES: Doesn’t play with sudden twitch in his lower half to quickly react to ball carriers or blockers, especially in space (his testing showed better short-area suddenness than on tape) … average lateral and closing burst … occasionally waits for the action instead of thumping downhill consistently … inconsistent stack-and- shed skills and must improve his leverage, reach and handwork … vision is focused on the ball and late to locate climbing or side-angled blocks … needs a clear lane to be effective as a blitzer … strong tackler, but not an explosive tackler … missed 2022 spring practices because of a knee injury … has battled a nagging left UCL injury.

SUMMARY: A two-year starter at Iowa, Campbell was the “MIKE” linebacker in defensive coordinator Phil Parker’s 4-3 base scheme. Head coach Kirk Ferentz wanted to move him to defensive end or center as a freshman because of his frame, but Campbell pushed to stay at linebacker and averaged 10.0 tackles in his 27 starts, and became the first Hawkeyes player to win the Butkus Award (nation’s top linebacker) and William V. Campbell Trophy (academic Heisman). Fueled by his preparation and smarts, Campbell plays with impressive play speed and awareness vs. both the run and the pass, working relentlessly to maximize everything in his tool box.

Though he has a keen eye for tendencies and a nose for the ball, he tends to wait instead of attacking downhill and struggles to quickly redirect/react when ball carriers or route runners put a move on him. Overall, Campbell is inconsistent as a thumper, but his athleticism, intangibles and instincts will keep him in the NFL for a long time. He has the talent to compete for starting reps as an NFL rookie.

GRADE: 2nd Round (No. 52 overall)

5 minutes ago, buddha said:

...elite toughness … two-year team captain in high school and again in college … not very vocal, but his teammates say he sets the tone with his tenacious effort, and his coaches call him an “amazing” practice player (Iowa head coach Kirk Ferentz: “Everything he does, he goes hard”) … egoless and humble off the field (didn’t pursue NIL deals and considers social media a “distraction”) … film study in the foundation of his game …

That right there is why the Lions drafted him.

5 minutes ago, buddha said:

THS: Above-average size and frame with room to add more mass … anticipates well and trusts his eyes to play out in front … has the range and awareness to mirror the run at the line of scrimmage … shows the gap-to-gap quickness and lateral shuffle to work around the noise and find the ball carrier … transitions well in his zone coverage drops (his 6.74 three-cone and 4.24 short shuttle were No. 1 among linebackers at the Combine) … displays a keen sense for route spacing and finds passing lanes (15 career passes defended) … plays with the body strength to match up with blockers … elite toughness … two-year team captain in high school and again in college … not very vocal, but his teammates say he sets the tone with his tenacious effort, and his coaches call him an “amazing” practice player (Iowa head coach Kirk Ferentz: “Everything he does, he goes hard”) … egoless and humble off the field (didn’t pursue NIL deals and considers social media a “distraction”) … film study in the foundation of his game … became the first Iowa player to win the William V. Campbell Trophy (Academic Heisman) … combined for 271 tackles over his final two seasons.

WEAKNESSES: Doesn’t play with sudden twitch in his lower half to quickly react to ball carriers or blockers, especially in space (his testing showed better short-area suddenness than on tape) … average lateral and closing burst … occasionally waits for the action instead of thumping downhill consistently … inconsistent stack-and- shed skills and must improve his leverage, reach and handwork … vision is focused on the ball and late to locate climbing or side-angled blocks … needs a clear lane to be effective as a blitzer … strong tackler, but not an explosive tackler … missed 2022 spring practices because of a knee injury … has battled a nagging left UCL injury.

SUMMARY: A two-year starter at Iowa, Campbell was the “MIKE” linebacker in defensive coordinator Phil Parker’s 4-3 base scheme. Head coach Kirk Ferentz wanted to move him to defensive end or center as a freshman because of his frame, but Campbell pushed to stay at linebacker and averaged 10.0 tackles in his 27 starts, and became the first Hawkeyes player to win the Butkus Award (nation’s top linebacker) and William V. Campbell Trophy (academic Heisman). Fueled by his preparation and smarts, Campbell plays with impressive play speed and awareness vs. both the run and the pass, working relentlessly to maximize everything in his tool box.

Though he has a keen eye for tendencies and a nose for the ball, he tends to wait instead of attacking downhill and struggles to quickly redirect/react when ball carriers or route runners put a move on him. Overall, Campbell is inconsistent as a thumper, but his athleticism, intangibles and instincts will keep him in the NFL for a long time. He has the talent to compete for starting reps as an NFL rookie.

GRADE: 2nd Round (No. 52 overall)

Where did you copy/paste from? He was really the only mlb worth taking in this draft.

1 minute ago, RandyMarsh said:

Colts Owner Jim Irsay on twitter asking fans how they would feel about the Colts drafting Levis if he is there at 35.  Keep up the smoke screen Jim maybe it will entice a team to trade up to 32 or 33 to take him. 

I think a lot of the hype on Levis pre-draft came from the Colts. Including driving the betting lines on him for #1 and #2. I think they really wanted Stroud and were hoping to get someone to move up for Levis if the Texans passed on Stroud.

1 minute ago, Cruzer1 said:

Where did you copy/paste from? He was really the only mlb worth taking in this draft.

i dont think campbell is a bad player.  i like him.  i just think they could have gotten him in the second round.  especially with 34.

but that's just me going off the consensus mock drafts.  i dont really know that.

however, i do think holmes saying "people texted me they wanted gibbs" is a little self serving.  that said, if gibbs was slated 10 picks lower than where he went and campbell was 15-20 picks lower, so be it.  im not worked up about it like i was in the moment.

1 minute ago, buddha said:

i dont think campbell is a bad player.  i like him.  i just think they could have gotten him in the second round.  especially with 34.

but that's just me going off the consensus mock drafts.  i dont really know that.

however, i do think holmes saying "people texted me they wanted gibbs" is a little self serving.  that said, if gibbs was slated 10 picks lower than where he went and campbell was 15-20 picks lower, so be it.  im not worked up about it like i was in the moment.

Tom Peliserro said the Jets were interested in Gibbs at 15. I've seen mocks as high as the Chargers at 21. I'm not going to get worked up if they drafted him 10 or so picks too early.