2023 NFL Draft As-It-Happens

1 hour ago, Motown Bombers said:

When is the appropriate time to take a TE? Can't take a TE in the 2nd round now? 

I'm not a scout or football expert. I'm just a fan with an armature opinion. Had they taken a Edge Rusher, DT, or CB yesterday I'd say go ahead and take whichever TE you want today. But since they already used one luxury pick on a low positional value offensive player, I don't know how I feel about them taking a TE tonight. With Joey Porter Jr., Keeanu Benton, Siaki Ika, Keion White, and Keele Ringo still on the board, I think they should take one or more of those players before taking a TE. CB is especially a concern for me given how many guys they have on 1 year deals there, sans Sutton. If they do take a TE, I don't want it to be Michael Mayer and would prefer one of Musgrave, LaPorta, or Washington. I'd say Washington is my first choice. If they still had their 3rd round pick I'd suggest someone like Tucker Kraft in the 3rd.

Edited by Mr.TaterSalad

3 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Tom Peliserro said the Jets were interested in Gibbs at 15. I've seen mocks as high as the Chargers at 21. I'm not going to get worked up if they drafted him 10 or so picks too early. 

interested?  maybe.  the jets really wanted a tackle.  but who knows?  maybe with the tackles off the board they take gibbs instead of mcdonald?  you'd think if they were interested in an offensive playmaker they would have taken jsn instead of passing on him to take the edge.  but maybe they had ginns rated higher?  we'll never know.

As has been mentioned sometimes you have to reach a little to insure you get the player you like, particularly if they are viewed as 1 of the top 2 or 3 players at their position cause all it would take is one of the 31 other teams to decide they want to go with that position and your player could very well be gone before you pick again.

12 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Could be good for the Lions since teams are likely trying to jump up for Levis. Meanwhile, that Claypool trade could look even better for the Steelers. 

I love this tweet every year. Just need to change out the team name

• Like 1

Just now, RandyMarsh said:

As has been mentioned sometimes you have to reach a little to insure you get the player you like, particularly if they are viewed as 1 of the top 2 or 3 players at their position cause all it would take is one of the 31 other teams to decide they want to go with that position and your player could very well be gone before you pick again.

Even the smartest of them make mistakes though when reaching. Andy Reid took Clyde Edwards-Hilaire in the 1st round and Isiah Pacheco in the 7th. Whose the better RB there. I trust Holmes and will in the end give him the benefit of the doubt. It's just that with a dynamic Edge Rusher like Tyree Wilson still on the board, I wouldn't have gone Gibbs there, as I feel solid RBs and difference makers can be found all over the draft.

6 minutes ago, buddha said:

i dont think campbell is a bad player.  i like him.  i just think they could have gotten him in the second round.  especially with 34.

but that's just me going off the consensus mock drafts.  i dont really know that.

however, i do think holmes saying "people texted me they wanted gibbs" is a little self serving.  that said, if gibbs was slated 10 picks lower than where he went and campbell was 15-20 picks lower, so be it.  im not worked up about it like i was in the moment.

Campbell was the top player on their board at by a wide margin at 18.

Are you saying they should’ve ignored their dozens of scouts and their months of work to take someone else?   If that’s the case, they should just fire their scouting staff and use the consensus mocks.   That would save them a ton of money and they’d get an A grade every year from the pundits because they got top value on every pick.  

Just now, Hongbit said:

Are you saying they should’ve ignored their dozens of scouts and their months of work to take someone else?   If that’s the case, they should just fire their scouting staff and use the consensus mocks.   That would save them a ton of money and they’d get an A grade every year from the pundits because they got top value on every pick.  

ok.  so you never question a draft pick ever?  hell man, its a message board and were fans.

i dont get the "were not allowed to question brad holmes" arguments from the same people who question **** all the time.  ESPECIALLY the people who want to fire the whole coaching staff after every time the lions punt the ball.

1 minute ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Even the smartest of them make mistakes though when reaching. Andy Reid took Clyde Edwards-Hilaire in the 1st round and Isiah Pacheco in the 7th. Whose the better RB there. I trust Holmes and will in the end give him the benefit of the doubt. It's just that with a dynamic Edge Rusher like Tyree Wilson still on the board, I wouldn't have gone Gibbs there, as I feel solid RBs and difference makers can be found all over the draft.

James Houston had more sacks than Thibodeaux and Walker combined. By this logic those teams reached when they could have drafted Houston in the 6th round. Hell, the Lions reached by drafting Hutchinson 2nd when Houston averaged more sacks per game. 

1 minute ago, buddha said:

ok.  so you never question a draft pick ever?  hell man, its a message board and were fans.

i dont get the "were not allowed to question brad holmes" arguments from the same people who question **** all the time.  ESPECIALLY the people who want to fire the whole coaching staff after every time the lions punt the ball.

I'm wondering where the I trust Brad Holmes went. Guess people trust Brad Holmes if it's a player they like. 

4 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

Uh oh

That's not "uh oh" at all, Best was a great player the rare times when he was healthy and already had injury red flags coming into the draft that I believe Gibbs doesn't have.

I'm not championing the pick (I've made my negative opinion on these picks known) but if Gibbs is a Best level player, that's a good thing.

Edited by NYLion
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, buddha said:

i dont think campbell is a bad player.  i like him.  i just think they could have gotten him in the second round.  especially with 34.

but that's just me going off the consensus mock drafts.  i dont really know that.

however, i do think holmes saying "people texted me they wanted gibbs" is a little self serving.  that said, if gibbs was slated 10 picks lower than where he went and campbell was 15-20 picks lower, so be it.  im not worked up about it like i was in the moment.

5 minutes ago, NYLion said:

That's not "uh oh" at all, Best was a great player the rare times when he was healthy and already had injury red flags coming into the draft that I believe Gibbs doesn't have.

I'm not championing the pick (I've made my negative opinion on these picks known) but if Gibbs is a Best level player, that's a good thing.

I was being tongue in cheek. I thought Best was a good pick at the time minus the injury concerns. Best probably would have went higher in the 1st if he didn't have the injury concerns. 

46 minutes ago, buddha said:

good offensive linemen too.  

iowa is a solid player development program...but that offense....ouch.

They're a Tight End factory and offensive line factory so they've had plenty of successful offensive players at the NFL level. 

5 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

I was being tongue in cheek. I thought Best was a good pick at the time minus the injury concerns. Best probably would have went higher in the 1st if he didn't have the injury concerns. 

Swift didn’t have injury concerns either.  This is a position where people get hurt.

21 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

I'm wondering where the I trust Brad Holmes went. Guess people trust Brad Holmes if it's a player they like. 

The only thing that would cause me to lose trust would be if they wasted a draft pick on Hendon ******* Hooker.

25 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

No one is saying that. People are wondering if perhaps there is a flaw in the scouting staff/FO evaluation process. Obviously we won't know for the next few years and I hear just about everyone saying something to the effect of: "I'll give Holmes the benefit of the doubt right now." Don't make strawman arguments out of people expressing their doubts.

• Like 1