2023 NFL Draft As-It-Happens

Just now, buddha said:

since almost everyone from georgia seems to have "character concerns", im beginning to wonder what that coaching staff thinks of their players.  why would you go there if the staff is just going to trash you to the media once you leave?

No one cares about a lack of institutional control when you win back-to-back nattys.

LaPorta is one of the best college tight ends we’ve graded in the PFF college era. In fact, his 20 broken tackles this past season were the fifth-most in our nine years of grading.

LaPorta has the tools to be a difference-maker at the position. That's who you want to take chances on at the position.

LaPorta is going to be a weapon on seams, overs, crossers and flat routes. His speed, combined with his dynamism in space, is meant for such a role.

33 minutes ago, buddha said:

melifonwu.  levi.  jamo hasnt done anything but get suspended.  paschal hasnt done anything.

we could go back to the rams and talk about robinson at #2.

look, i like brad holmes.  i think he's done a really good job and i give him the benefit of the doubt but he's not infallible.

and YOU were also bitching last night about these picks just like me.  everybody on this board who is now all "brad holmes is the best and cant be questioned" was bitching up a storm last night.  everyone has calmed down now - me included - but i still question campbell at 18.  and its fair to question holmes, he aint perfect.

Brad Holmes is the best thing that's happened to the Lions in my lifetime. And I'm old.   😁😁

Just now, Sports_Freak said:

Brad Holmes is the best thing that's happened to the Lions in my lifetime. And I'm old.   😁😁

I LIKE BRAD HOLMES!

but he's not perfect.

unless youre 20, barry sanders is the best thing to happen to the lions in your lifetime.

1 minute ago, MichiganCardinal said:

Mayer is a quasi slot receiver. He doesn't excel as a blocker and while he's a phenomenal route runner and pass receiver, he didn't make sense for how we use our TEs.

LaPorta is an athlete, and will still run those routes and catch those passes, but he'll also kick your ass in the blocking game.

nfl.com disagrees

Weaknesses
  • Inconsistent angles and accuracy as blocker in space.
  • Takes the worst of it as lead blocker.
  • Has trouble getting to square contact on the move.
  • Needs to work back to meet the throw.
  • Below average catch success when challenged.
  • Allows defender angles to contest the throw.
  • Needs to get hands catch-ready more quickly.

2 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

Mayer is a quasi slot receiver. He doesn't excel as a blocker and while he's a phenomenal route runner and pass receiver, he didn't make sense for how we use our TEs.

LaPorta is an athlete, and will still run those routes and catch those passes, but he'll also kick your ass in the blocking game.

It sounds identical to TJ.   So athletic and was also a really good blocker.   None of which showed up on Sundays.

I knew the Lions would pick a TE in the 2nd and I don't hate it. More weapons for Goff is a good thing, the offense is going to be STACKED when Jamo returns and that's pretty exciting even if the TE pick isn't super exciting.  Need to get some mean fat guys for the trenches now.

from the Beast

SUMMARY: A four-year starter at Iowa, LaPorta was the featured target in offensive coordinator Brian Ferentz’s offense, evenly splitting his snaps between inline/backfield (49.4 percent) and slot/wide (50.6 percent). At a program known for producing NFL tight ends, he became just the second Hawkeye to be named the Big Ten’s Tight End of the Year and finished as the program’s all-time receptions leader (153) at the position. Although he is more quick than fast as a route runner, LaPorta makes himself available mid-route because of his lower-body quickness and athletic fluidity. As a blocker, his functional strength and consistency must improve, but Iowa asks its tight ends to do everything (LaPorta even took three snaps out of the wildcat) and scouts rave about his competitive demeanor. Overall, LaPorta is an average point-of-attack blocker and his lack of length hurts his success rate in contested situations, but he plays with outstanding quickness and body rhythm with soft hands as a pass catcher. He is in the Austin Hooper mold and projects as a low-end TE1 or high-end TE2 on an NFL depth chart.

8 minutes ago, buddha said:

I LIKE BRAD HOLMES!

but he's not perfect.

unless youre 20, barry sanders is the best thing to happen to the lions in your lifetime.

I should have been more specific. Brad Holmes is the best Lions GM in my lifetime. I'll die on that hill. Just let him pick, we're on our way to a deep playoff run. 

Edited by Sports_Freak

2 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

from the Beast

SUMMARY: A four-year starter at Iowa, LaPorta was the featured target in offensive coordinator Brian Ferentz’s offense, evenly splitting his snaps between inline/backfield (49.4 percent) and slot/wide (50.6 percent). At a program known for producing NFL tight ends, he became just the second Hawkeye to be named the Big Ten’s Tight End of the Year and finished as the program’s all-time receptions leader (153) at the position. Although he is more quick than fast as a route runner, LaPorta makes himself available mid-route because of his lower-body quickness and athletic fluidity. As a blocker, his functional strength and consistency must improve, but Iowa asks its tight ends to do everything (LaPorta even took three snaps out of the wildcat) and scouts rave about his competitive demeanor. Overall, LaPorta is an average point-of-attack blocker and his lack of length hurts his success rate in contested situations, but he plays with outstanding quickness and body rhythm with soft hands as a pass catcher. He is in the Austin Hooper mold and projects as a low-end TE1 or high-end TE2 on an NFL depth chart.

well we got backup tight end all sewn up!  next stop, third in the rotation guard!