2023 NFL Draft As-It-Happens

2 minutes ago, buddha said:

i just said that because the scouting report said high end #2  tight end.

Ok gotcha.

I can see why this would give people Hock flashbacks but I think LaPorta is more dynamic. Of course it was hard to tell because Iowa didn't have a QB worth a damn but he looks the part.

Edited by NYLion

5 minutes ago, buddha said:

i just said that because the scouting report said high end #2  tight end.

Way to take it out of context.

"He is in the Austin Hooper mold and projects as a low-end TE1 or high-end TE2 on an NFL depth chart."

And evading the question. Who do you see as our TE1?

Edited by Sports_Freak

LaPorta scouting report and stats show that he is really good at breaking tackles, I don't remember if Hock was like that in college too but I always felt that was something he was lacking with the Lions atleast from my vantage point. It just seemed to me that as soon as a guy put a hand on him he was going down, rarely did it seem like he would break tackles for more YAC. One of his last or maybe his last game here where he had that real monster game was one of the few times we ever seen it. Hopefully LaPorta can make plays like Hock did in that game more consistently. 

Just now, RandyMarsh said:

LaPorta scouting report and stats show that he is really good at breaking tackles, I don't remember if Hock was like that in college too but I always felt that was something he was lacking with the Lions atleast from my vantage point. It just seemed to me that as soon as a guy put a hand on him he was going down, rarely did it seem like he would break tackles for more YAC. One of his last or maybe his last game here where he had that real monster game was one of the few times we ever seen it. Hopefully LaPorta can make plays like Hock did in that game more consistently. 

Coupled with Montgomery, it seems to be a trait the Lions value. Which I understand. When the goal is to make it ten yards in 3-4 tries, a single missed tackle can be the difference between 0 and 3 points, or 3 and 7.

1 minute ago, RandyMarsh said:

Just watching the highlights of LaPorta and he looks faster than Hockenson and looks like a wide receiver.

3 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Plus, he's got Tegrity.  

9 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

Way to take it out of context.

"He is in the Austin Hooper mold and projects as a low-end TE1 or high-end TE2 on an NFL depth chart."

And evading the question. Who do you see as our TE1?

i dont see anyone as a real TE1.  they now have a lot of TE2s.

i dont think it matters as long as ben johnson is calling plays.

7 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

They're building this offense to Goff's strength. Imagine the play action passes with Gibbs in the backfield and St Brown, LaPorta and/or Williams running crosses all over the field. 

now they need that X guy to stretch the field.

even more than that, they need a db.