2023 NFL Draft As-It-Happens

3 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

I don't necessarily think the Hooker pick means the end of Goff, it could just be a matter of them feeling that they were in position to take a flyer on him just in case something happens to Goff whether it be injury or ineffectiveness. If Goff continues to excel then worst case scenario is you used a 3rd RD pick on a backup QB, a position that you were prepared to make a "strong offer" to fill anyway. 

its not the end of goff at all.  goff will be here for two years and (hopefully) hooker displays enough ability to over then.

if not, they can franchise goff or extend him.  this gives them depth, which is a good thing.

Just now, Motown Bombers said:

It would be a wasted pick if he doesn't end up a starter, it creates a QB controversy, and still doesn't solve the backup QB position in the short term. 

He's a fine backup, given how durable Goff is since I read somewhere repeatedly that he never misses a game.  No controversy, it's a 3rd round QB.  He can take kneel downs as well as anyone.

I think there is definitely a better than decent chance it ends up being a wasted pick with him just holding a clipboard and playing in mop up duty. But there also is the off chance that Goff does get injured(no matter how injury proof you have been it's still a violent sport where an injury can happen at anytime) and Hooker steps up and not only prevents the season from coming off the rails but actually leads us to a deep playoff run while looking the part. 

I think with the amount of picks they had and the few glaring holes they have on the team that type of risk was worth it for them. Again especially considering they were prepared to reportedly give Bridgewater a nice contract to fill that role anyway.

• Thanks 1