2023 NFL Draft As-It-Happens

So the recap:

1. Lions got probably the best athlete in the draft (not counting him as a RB since he will also lineup outside according to the Lions)

2. Best LB in Draft (we'll go with that)

3. A starting Tight end

4. Best Safety in the draft

5. Backup QB who was projected to be a 1st rounder 

6. A depth piece who might be a starter someday.

So four sure fire starters and one heavily favored future starter as well as a potential starter. This is actually a really good draft I think. I honestly didn't think we had 4 starting positions open even with the picks we had. But this is pretty neat. Honestly, the only think I would really like is a kicker.

I know it's early, but next year, they can focus on restocking the O-line and D-line and some secondary pieces. They've done a great job solidifying the depth on the team. 

10 minutes ago, digitalpigsmuggler said:

Positional value was terrible. Taking a 1st round RB is stupid. I am hearing similar arguments that were used to justify Ebron in the 1st. Reach with La Porta. Mayer is the better player.

No he isn't. LaPorta is a better athlete and you would be saying it if LaPorta didn't have petras is butt throwing to him.

10 hours ago, MichiganCardinal said:

Still a lot of perceived value on the board for day three.

Antonio Johnson is a slot corner with immense upside. Jarrett Patterson is a potential future starting offensive guard. Kelee Ringo is a potential starting outside corner. Cam Mitchell too. AT Perry and Andrei Iosivas are both still there as tall receivers. Adetomiwa Adebawore has a lot of talent as a pass rusher but lacks a natural position, which is I’m sure why he’s falling. Noah Sewell is a culture fit at a position that probably still needs a little depth. Jammie Robinson was a guy they met several times through the process.

nice; i'll add Xavier Hutchinson WR Iowa St, big guy with good hands and average athlete; and 2 local OL: Sow, G, EMU, ; and Witt, OT, Northern Michigan

2 hours ago, digitalpigsmuggler said:

Positional value was terrible. Taking a 1st round RB is stupid. I am hearing similar arguments that were used to justify Ebron in the 1st. Reach with La Porta. Mayer is the better player.

LaPorta wasn't a reach. He was projected 2nd round by just about every draft pundit.

Not crazy about the Gibbs pick but he was coveted by a lot of teams in the mid to late 1st according to rumors.

I can get on board and justify each pick (even if I'm skeptical of a few) but the Martin pick, not only the pick but the cost to get him, was baffling. Giant, immoblie guy who had minimal production at a small school. Willing to give him a chance but this smells like a bust already.

I wonder what the chances are that Swift gets traded today? I would hope for a pick next year than this year. The Lions are sitting there with a lot of cap space and Hopkins would make for a nice fit. The Lions and Cardinals have made multiple trades. I have to imagine if the Lions were interested in Hopkins, they would have had those talks. 

1 hour ago, digitalpigsmuggler said:

Mayer is more well rounded.

I don't know what that means. Does it mean he does a bunch of things at a b level and nothing at a A like LaPorta?

And how many guys do we need to block 7? Come on now. And it's not like LaPorta sucks there, he went to frigging iowa

1 hour ago, Motown Bombers said:

Starting to warm up to the Hooker pick. I liked him much better than Richardson. Noted Goff hater Chris Simms really likes Hooker. This is Simms going on about Hooker before the draft:

Who the hell buttons the top one? Why the he'll should we listen to captain weirdo?