2023 NFL Draft As-It-Happens

1 minute ago, MichiganCardinal said:

Something I saw on Twitter was that 5/6 guys they took could have been drafted at #18 without universal complaint. Martin being the exception. I think I agree, and I think that speaks well for their haul.

martin gives me a lot of Gabe Wright vibes.  trading up to get the lasr defensive tackle on your board, neglecting the pick until late even if its an obvious need.

3 minutes ago, buddha said:

martin gives me a lot of Gabe Wright vibes.  trading up to get the lasr defensive tackle on your board, neglecting the pick until late even if its an obvious need.

I don't think DT was an obvious need per se. Between Buggs, McNeill, and Paschal, they have competent bodies at the position.

Obvious weakness though, yes. It's the only group that gives me some pause for concern. Assuming there are no injuries, we are really counting on getting at least one of (a) a new and improved totally healthy Josh Paschal, (b) a totally shocking addition in Levi, or (c) an impressive showing by a rookie in Brodric Martin... Absent those, which are all far from given, there may be a few teams who run over us like the Panthers did. And if a guy or two does gets hurt, we are in trouble.

General Targets: CB/DB depth, OG depth, maybe a WR, LB depth, DL depth

I don't think I want a WR unless they can make an impact this season (or Holmes sees a diamond in the rough like ASB of course). Developmental depth doesn't really do me much good when my week one depth chart is looking like ASB / Jones / Reynolds / Raymond / Kennedy... I might prefer a trade at this point, for Hopkins, Evans, or otherwise.

3 hours ago, digitalpigsmuggler said:

Positional value was terrible. Taking a 1st round RB is stupid. I am hearing similar arguments that were used to justify Ebron in the 1st. Reach with La Porta. Mayer is the better player.

I wouldn't consider Gibbs a RB though..... He's not 1 dimensional.... They are saying he will slot out and possibly line up at WR sometimes.... Not to mention he will be our main punt returner too....... Not bad value I don't think....

7 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

General Targets: CB/DB depth, OG depth, maybe a WR, LB depth, DL depth

I don't think I want a WR unless they can make an impact this season (or Holmes sees a diamond in the rough like ASB of course). Developmental depth doesn't really do me much good when my week one depth chart is looking like ASB / Jones / Reynolds / Raymond / Kennedy... I might prefer a trade at this point, for Hopkins, Evans, or otherwise.

Gibbs will be lining up as a receiver. And with the creative Johnson designing and calling plays, I'm not worried about who he has available. But yeah, some WR depth would be nice. DL too.

1 minute ago, AlaskanTigersFan said:

I wouldn't consider Gibbs a RB though..... He's not 1 dimensional.... They are saying he will slot out and possibly line up at WR sometimes.... Not to mention he will be our main punt returner too....... Not bad value I don't think....

I don't know about using him as a punt returner. Too many injuries. Kinda like how I disliked using Williams in punt coverage last year, just asking for trouble.

As we approach the 5th round, there are still some prospects out there who I had seen mocked to the 1st and 2nd rounds.

Antonio Johnson is a possible starting corner or safety, not sure why he's dropping, maybe concern that he's a tweener?

Henry To'oTo'o is a quality linebacker, no idea why he's dropping.

Jaelyn Duncan probably isn't a guy on the Lions radar as a four-year LT, but he's a guy I saw go in the 1st in some mocks. Probably dropping because of that extensive experience coupled with him still needing being raw and needing more development at the position (real nice work on development, Maryland).

On 4/28/2023 at 9:20 AM, buddha said:

one year of deandre swift?  what does that do for a team like the cardinals who are rebuilding?  murray is out all year.  i dont see them caring for deandre swift.

the eagles might be a team that is interested.  or hold on to swift and wait until mccaffery gets injured again, maybe the niners will be interested.

but heck, its the nfl.  who knows?  

*cough*

• Thanks 1