Investing

Motown Bombers

17 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

Journalists drive me nuts.  Inflation was not up 8.3% in August!  That is the 12 month number.  It was up .1% in August.  Yet damn near every article says, "Inflation rose 8.3% in August."

Finance page journalists lean right. I take some of that as  agenda reporting.

Edited by gehringer_2

1 hour ago, Deleterious said:

Mortgage rates are now over 6%.  I imagine that is still below historical levels.

my recollection is for a long stretch in the 50-60's early 70's, mortgages were sort of stable in the 4-6% range. In those days the Fed's mandate was constant interest rates so rates didn't change as much as they do now, and the prime rate target was something like 3-4% I think. My folks had a 5.5% mortgage in 1972,  I took a 7.5% mortgage in 1979. Things got stupid high for a while after that and a lot of folks went to adjustables because it was clear things had to start back down. By '87  things were falling again I and got 8 1/4%. From about there on refi's moved pretty much consistently downward to as low ~3.5%. Then the crash and central banks going to  ZIRP kept them low until this year.

Edited by gehringer_2

2 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

This isn't perfect but it gives the average rate by decade starting with the 70s.

https://www.bankrate.com/mortgages/historical-mortgage-rates/#seventies

that looks pretty close to my experience - maybe a little high, but things like down payments and credit ratings mean there is never just a single numbers for  any date.

6 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

that looks pretty close to my experience - maybe a little high, but things like down payments and credit ratings mean there is never just a single numbers for  any date.

Funny, if you can't buy a house, you can rent one - maybe.

Talked to a guy today who told me a 2 bedroom house with one bath here in Cornhole (read cheap in comparison to national averages) was getting 950 a month.

I just realized this; on this date in 2008 which I call "Lehman Bros. Day" I told my place of work to shove it - because I was fed up with them - and them of me.  Cool.

Watching the upcoming mess seemed like a lot more fun than working for idiots, so I took a year off and took in the entertainment, then went back to work.

Happy Lehman day!

Don't read the baseball stuff, but I haven't read anything from Tiger Lee.  He usually posts here.  Hope all is well.

3 hours ago, Screwball said:

Funny, if you can't buy a house, you can rent one - maybe.

Talked to a guy today who told me a 2 bedroom house with one bath here in Cornhole (read cheap in comparison to national averages) was getting 950 a month.

I was curious what a one bedroom apartment goes for here in Battle Creek.  $988 for a one bedroom.  Yikes.

1 hour ago, CMRivdogs said:

A quick check on Zillow shows rents starting at $1500 for anything decent. I figure it's about par for the area. Especially since it's a tourist/college/military area with a lot of retirees. 

It's a complete ****show where we are mostly because demand is already high as it is compared to the national average. Next to impossible to find a house for rent for under $2k, which wasn't the case pre-pandemic.

On 9/13/2022 at 9:57 AM, 1984Echoes said:

I guess we're getting 75 basis points after all...

which is probably fine. At least from the capital expenditure side, I doubt interest rates have a lot of impact on decision making until they get to or above 4%. The difference between 1% and 2% money over the time horizon of (i.e short) of American business isn't going to change many decisions. IMV most of the move from 0-3% was just picking up the slack in the tow rope.