Investing

Motown Bombers

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

Can't even log into my brokerage. Is this how they getcha? Because it's not really your money until it's safely in your pocket, is it? Until you can pry it out of their clutches, it's theirs.

lol no shĭt you don't say

30 minutes ago, chasfh said:

lol no shĭt you don't say

so in the pic: Reagan, Bush I, Ed Meese, tall guy might be David Gergen, the guy next to Reagan looks for the world like Walter Cronkite. The guy bent over in profile has been identified in some places as Buffet but I've seen denials - it's supposed to actually be a CBS exec (Cronkite's producer), which would work if the other guy is Cronkite.

Edited by gehringer_2

3 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

It's not looking nearly as bad I feared last night.  If you are in crypto (which I still think is a scam) then it's a really bad day.  

Nowadays the bottom feeders are all out there with cash waiting for the dips.

Crypto is somethings else. Smoke and mirrors remains smoke and mirrors at any level.

Edited by gehringer_2
  • Like 1

speculation, or more like wishful thinking, is now that the Fed might make an unscheduled rate cut in response to the sell off.  I have my doubts of that on two grounds - the first is that so far the dip has been self-limited, of course we'll if that holds till the end of the day or not...... and 2nd, the Fed can effectively "loosen" by cutting back on its asset sales schedule ("quantitative tightening") without nearly as much public attention as an out of schedule rate change would generate. (they've been selling off about $100B/month)

Edited by gehringer_2

5 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

The #KamalaCrash continues unabated apparently

Overnight futures on the 4 indexes all running up 1%-2% even you post this.

Neither making the Yen carry trade less attractive or letting some air out of future expectations for AI really has much to do with the near term health of the US economy.

Edited by gehringer_2

23 hours ago, chasfh said:

Can't even log into my brokerage. Is this how they getcha? Because it's not really your money until it's safely in your pocket, is it? Until you can pry it out of their clutches, it's theirs.

They are doing you a favor. A colleague of mine just now with a great quote "The stock market is a device to transfer wealth from the impatient to the patient."

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Edman85 said:

They are doing you a favor. A colleague of mine just now with a great quote "The stock market is a device to transfer wealth from the impatient to the patient."

I like that. A guy I used to work for (you could guess he was Indiana farm country) had a favorite about the market which was "Pigs get fat. Hogs get slaughtered." 

9 minutes ago, Screwball said:

The first quote is by bailout king Warren Buffet.

The second should read ""Bulls make money, bears make money, pigs get slaughtered"

that's a little broader than my guy was aiming for but it works too.

Funny thing was that as I mentioned, this guy was from/lived in Southern Ind, and his name was Bob Knight. Lucky for him there was little physical resemblance (he was about 5"10 and I don't remember any particular tendency toward red sweaters....) but it must have been a pain to constantly explain who he wasn't to strangers on the phone.  🤣

7 hours ago, Edman85 said:

I wasn't going to sell, I just wanted to check out how much money I was losing!

4 hours ago, oblong said:

I only check mine out of curiosity but I don’t act on anything day to day. I pay them to do that. I’m not interested in more stress so that my portfolio might be 2% higher in 10 years.  

I pay them to do that, too, but I have a little nut I control and most of it is in stuff they wouldn’t put me in, mostly AI and quantum computing plays, and those are getting crushed now, but i should put a little more in some of them.

I did sell NVDA at about 125 a couple or three weeks ago, after purchasing it at around 35 a year and change ago. How ya like me now.

Edited by chasfh

On 8/8/2024 at 11:38 AM, 1776 said:

The 10 year benchmark just dipped below 4%.

Someday you can tell your grandchildren how you survived the great stock market crash of Aug 5 2024 because your internet happened to go down for 48 hrs and you just missed it.

anyway, the market has already ordained that the Fed is going to cut 50 pts in Sept. But if initial unemployment claims stay low they just might not.

Edited by gehringer_2

1 hour ago, gehringer_2 said:

Someday you can tell your grandchildren how you survived the great stock market crash of Aug 5 2024 because your internet happened to go down for 48 hrs and you just missed it.

anyway, the market has already ordained that the Fed is going to cut 50 pts in Sept. But if initial unemployment claims stay low they just might not.

The Kamala Krash is a day that will live in infamy

• Haha 1

Wall Street Engineers Invent a New Head-Spinning Options Trade

(Bloomberg) -- Financial wizards have conjured up possibly their most dizzying product yet in the quest to ride the derivatives boom: Cboe Global Markets Inc. is poised to offer options on futures for an index based on options on another index.

At least they used derivatives and boom in the same sentence.  I wonder how America will like it when we bail out the swine bankers again?

• Confused 1