Summer 2023 Off-Season Thread

3 minutes ago, Shinzaki said:

This is a playoff contending team....we've added size and scoring and it didn't cost us any of our top prospects.  Great offseason for SY

There is some potential to be better. Fabbri could be another add that sort of been ignored for next season if he is finally anything like healthy.

9 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

Just realized there has been a Czech purge.  Yzerman has gotten rid of Hronek, Vrana, Zadina and Kubalik since February. 

Out of those 4, Hronek was the only Czech that could check. Last time I checked, 1 out of 4 is not enough checking to get from your Czechs.

Edited by gehringer_2
  • Haha 1

Two questions:

1) Does Raymond stick on the 1st line or get pushed to the 2nd line?

Related:

2) Who goes to the boards/ corners to take control of pucks for Larkin & DeBrincat? 

I think a line of Larkin-Raymond-DeBrincat might get outmuscled which is why I'm asking this... I think one of Raymond or ADB needs to go onto the 2nd line... And somewhere we need some power forward work on these two lines...

DeBrincat with Cobb & Rasmussen might be a decent 2nd scoring line? Who matches up with Raymond & Larkin?

13 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

Two questions:

1) Does Raymond stick on the 1st line or get pushed to the 2nd line?

Related:

2) Who goes to the boards/ corners to take control of pucks for Larkin & DeBrincat? 

I think a line of Larkin-Raymond-DeBrincat might get outmuscled which is why I'm asking this... I think one of Raymond or ADB needs to go onto the 2nd line... And somewhere we need some power forward work on these two lines...

DeBrincat with Cobb & Rasmussen might be a decent 2nd scoring line? Who matches up with Raymond & Larkin?

rasmussen or perron will be on lines one aand two respectively.  debrincat and raymond are too small to play together 5 v 5.

3 minutes ago, buddha said:

rasmussen or perron will be on lines one aand two respectively.  debrincat and raymond are too small to play together 5 v 5.

That's why I asked because I agree with this 100%.

The two will be split up and won't be on the same line.

PS: I could see Perron and Ras as the PF on each line. I'm thinking Perron will start out on Larkin's line though...

Edited by 1984Echoes

For me the first line is Perron - Larkin - DeBrincat.  You can’t have two small wingers on line one, ADB is a better player than Raymond right now. Perron has the skill set to dig pucks out and dish it. Perron also can score off one timers, so you can’t give him too much space so hopefully they won’t swarm ADB.

5 minutes ago, slothfacekilla said:

For me the first line is Perron - Larkin - DeBrincat.  You can’t have two small wingers on line one, ADB is a better player than Raymond right now. Perron has the skill set to dig pucks out and dish it. Perron also can score off one timers, so you can’t give him too much space so hopefully they won’t swarm ADB.

I like this. The counter point might be that since Perron and Larkin are probably their best O-Zone puck possession guysyou might want to split them up so the two top lines both have some of that. I'd guess is will turn on whether Perron-Larkin-Bebrincat leave the second line too inept..

46 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

I like this. The counter point might be that since Perron and Larkin are probably their best O-Zone puck possession guysyou might want to split them up so the two top lines both have some of that. I'd guess is will turn on whether Perron-Larkin-Bebrincat leave the second line too inept..

I don't see the 2nd and 3rd lines being incompetent 2023-24.

You have Copp, Compher, Raymond, Rasmussen, Soderblom, Fabbri, Kasper, Berggren, and maybe even Mazur pushing for time on these lines. Probably 2 and maybe even 3 of those guys are in Grand Rapids... But I don't see ineptness taking over those lines this year. I see competition and competence leading to effectiveness...

IMO.

Edited by 1984Echoes
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I have this feeling, because it's Detroit and we can't have nice things, that DeBrincat is going to be a massive disappointment.  

I think a team does have to reach a certain critical mass before a guy like Debrincat is going to be able to do his thing. Does Yzerman have the Wings to that point yet? That's a big maybe.

3 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

I think a team does have to reach a certain critical mass before a guy like Debrincat is going to be able to do his thing. Does Yzerman have the Wings to that point yet? That's a big maybe.

All Debrincat should need to be successful is good line mates.  If he's out there on a line with Larkin and Raymond, he should have all he needs to thrive.  

9 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

With Debrincat in a winged wheel now uniform now, are your expectations for them to make the playoffs?

And if they don't, is the season a failure for you?

1) Yes, expectations are playoffs.

2) No. Getting into the playoffs are hard, especially in the East. And the Wings are trying to break through a rebuild to get back to that level, haven't been there in a long time, so... No, if they miss, I'll assume it is either due to bad breaks or just, tough competition.

What I really want to see is strong strides taken in that direction, even if 2023-24 ultimately isn't their year/ break-through.