Summer 2023 Off-Season Thread

28 minutes ago, jz68 said:

All Debrincat should need to be successful is good line mates.  If he's out there on a line with Larkin and Raymond, he should have all he needs to thrive.  

you also want one strong checking line that can hold up against the other team's top lines so you don't always have to waste Larkin and his line out there playing defense or killing penalties incurred by overmatched defenders. 

The thing is, I thought they would take a big step last year and it turned out to be baby steps at best. Plus it was disappointing to see how badly they collapsed after the deadline deals. They went into the off season with a much worse performing team than they started the season with, so they are having to build from a point worse than even last season's starting team. So I'm a little gun shy about predicting progress.

Edited by gehringer_2

theyre going to need big steps up from raymond, seider and edvinsson to be a playoff team.  the atlantic division is TOUGH.  

i expect them to be in the hunt.  i expect them to be better than last year.  i do not expect them to make it.  i give them a 30-40% chance to make it.

11 minutes ago, buddha said:

theyre going to need big steps up from raymond, seider and edvinsson to be a playoff team.  the atlantic division is TOUGH.  

i expect them to be in the hunt.  i expect them to be better than last year.  i do not expect them to make it.  i give them a 30-40% chance to make it.

and we're not even talking about the goaltending, which ran hot and cold last season. That also has to be better.

Last year’s team was relying on big numbers from Vrana and Bertuzzi if they were going to compete. They got something like 40 games between the two of them. Rasmussen got hurt, and they ended up playing a lot of mediocre hockey players. At the end of the year they just fell apart. Now they are solid up and down the roster, and there are kids with high ceilings who may fight their way into the lineup, or get called up if injuries become an issue. Their record may not be much better next year but they won’t have nights where they give up eight goals. 

42 minutes ago, slothfacekilla said:

Zadina got 1 year, $1.1 million from San Jose.

Everyone wishing him well and I'm just sitting here hoping he fails so it proves the Wings were right about him.   Am I the bad guy?  

8 minutes ago, jz68 said:

Everyone wishing him well and I'm just sitting here hoping he fails so it proves the Wings were right about him.   Am I the bad guy?  

Meh - even if he succeeds with the Sharks the Wings weren't wrong about him. He wasn't succeeding here and he had the chance to play under two very different coaches so you it not like you blame it all on Blashill for not liking him or the like.

31 minutes ago, jz68 said:

I like a guy who bets on himself, taking a financial risk doing so that may look foolish to many.

I'd like him to recoup over the next 3-4 years enough financially to break even on that bet. But without lighting the world on fire offensively in San Jose! 

Edited by lordstanley

3 minutes ago, AlaskanTigersFan said:

1 more year. 

No.   No more "1 more year" from these teams.   Sick of "1 more year"  or "just have to wait".   This town is itching for ANY team to make the playoffs and win a playoff game.   When was the last time any of the four major sports teams in Detroit won a playoff game?    2016?     Enough already.  

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

No.   No more "1 more year" from these teams.   Sick of "1 more year"  or "just have to wait".   This town is itching for ANY team to make the playoffs and win a playoff game.   When was the last time any of the four major sports teams in Detroit won a playoff game?    2016?     Enough already.  

You can be sick of it all you want. Wings need 1 more year.

Lions are your best bet this year.

Pistons are 1 or 2 years away....

Tigers are about 2 or 3 years away from relevance........ They are the prime example of when you quit a rebuild too early. The other three Detroit teams should take notes. Avila quit too early and now they are stuck in no mans land.

If the Wings sellout now, it will screw em over. If they wait one more year, they will be a lot better positioned to be competitive for the next decade......... 

6 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I would expect Zadina to score 15-20 goals for San Jose next year.  

I think he would need a lot of lucky bounces for this to happen.  He would have to take just over 300 shots to hit 20 goals if his usual shooting percentage carries over, he probably would need to rework his shot/release pretty heavily to get there I would imagine.  He has a worse career shooting percentage than Darren Helm, and that's with Zadina shooting double his usual shooting percentage randomly in 28 games in 2019-20.  Usually he shoots about 6% which is....not great.

2 minutes ago, AlaskanTigersFan said:

Tigers are about 2 or 3 years away from relevance........ They are the prime example of when you quit a rebuild too early. The other three Detroit teams should take notes. Avila quit too early and now they are stuck in no mans land.

If the Wings sellout now, it will screw em over. If they wait one more year, they will be a lot better positioned to be competitive for the next decade......... 

Pistons 1 or 2 years away?    LOL.   Pistons are a disgrace and Cade is one more injury from being a big bust.    I feel like the Pistons won the draft lottery in the weakest year for a #1 pick.     Pistons are pointless.      Even if Cade develops (2 years behind schedule), as soon as he does he'll bolt. 

and there is seemingly too many things going right and too much love for the Lions.    Something's gotta go horribly wrong.  I just can't believe there going to be as good as everyone (including me) thinks.   It's the Lions.  Something you'd never expect will happen.     Remember - about 3 years ago the Browns were ready to go all the way and BOOM - disaster. 

19 minutes ago, AlaskanTigersFan said:

Wings do have the personnel in the system to provide upside surprise if one or two more guys breakthrough, but that would be gravy.

Edited by gehringer_2

30 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

and there is seemingly too many things going right and too much love for the Lions.    Something's gotta go horribly wrong.  I just can't believe there going to be as good as everyone (including me) thinks.   It's the Lions.  Something you'd never expect will happen.     Remember - about 3 years ago the Browns were ready to go all the way and BOOM - disaster. 

Language kids -