Summer 2023 Off-Season Thread

so toronto signs bert, klingberg, and domi.  totally stacked offensively.

but they still dont play any defense and arguably just got worse in that department.  not sure this solves their problem even if it does make them a better offensive play off team (if bert stays healthy).

22 minutes ago, buddha said:

so toronto signs bert, klingberg, and domi.  totally stacked offensively.

but they still dont play any defense and arguably just got worse in that department.  not sure this solves their problem even if it does make them a better offensive play off team (if bert stays healthy).

Yep, Bertuzzi and Domi are good at offense but neither are particularly tough or physical. The Leafs signed Tyler and Max, not Todd and Tie. 

• Haha 1

Bertuzzi suppled some open-ice fore-checking. That may have only stood out on the Wings because the team as a whole has been so inept at it. Then again, I got the impression Blashill was less interested in guys fore-checking than just collapsing back into the zone after a change in possession. Of course that in turn could be because no-body he had could fore-check without ending up caught up ice.

I liked that last season Lalonde had them playing less passively in that regard than Blashill, even if the overal season result was only marginally better.

Edited by gehringer_2

Toronto is now $8.1 million over the cap having signed Baby Bert and Max Domi. Any chance they get rid of William Nylander and any chance at all we're in play? Who am I kidding, he's not a right side defenseman and we're not in it to win it just yet. Hell, Toronto may not even be fielding trade calls on him. But unless the NHL cap is fugazi, they have to make bold moves to get under it and trading Nylander is certainly one of those.

But I can dream can I not? Get me William Nylander and Alex Debrincat and all of a sudden we're smoking!!! Smile Emoji smoking Cigar Round Beach Towel by Michael Spano - Pixels

Edited by Mr.TaterSalad

16 minutes ago, Dan Gilmore said:

Well, you’re smoking right now. 😎

Someone with a high cap number has to be the odd man out in Toronto as they are waaaaay over the cap at $8.1 million. Nylander is rumored to be dissatisfied and Pierre LeBrun reported that he and Toronto aren't even close on a contract. And we got what Toronto could want in return, plenty of draft capital and cheap prospects for their farm. Look, I know chances of this happening are about as good as Al Avila leading an organization to a World Series one day. But let me have my holiday and free agency fun. Don't crush a man's dreams just because he's on the whacky weed.

1 hour ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Someone with a high cap number has to be the odd man out in Toronto as they are waaaaay over the cap at $8.1 million. Nylander is rumored to be dissatisfied and Pierre LeBrun reported that he and Toronto aren't even close on a contract. And we got what Toronto could want in return, plenty of draft capital and cheap prospects for their farm. Look, I know chances of this happening are about as good as Al Avila leading an organization to a World Series one day. But let me have my holiday and free agency fun. Don't crush a man's dreams just because he's on the whacky weed.

Yes, a bold move like Nylander or to a lesser extent DeBrincat is what Yzerman is paid to do. You or I could have signed Justin Holl at 3x$3.5.

So if Ottawa was steadfast in wanting pick #9 and DeBrincat wanted a max extension...SY should have just rolled over?  Or if Toronto wanted Edvinsson, Kapser and a slew of picks...we should make the trade?

Edited by Shinzaki

20 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

Yes, a bold move like Nylander or to a lesser extent DeBrincat is what Yzerman is paid to do. You or I could have signed Justin Holl at 3x$3.5.

yzerman is paid to look out for the organization as a whole and put them on the course to be an annual contender, not sell out the farm for one chase of an 8th seed because you're impatient.

22 minutes ago, buddha said:

yzerman is paid to look out for the organization as a whole and put them on the course to be an annual contender, not sell out the farm for one chase of an 8th seed because you're impatient.

I didn't say anything about selling the farm. But to get proven stars like Nylander I'd be willing to put in play a couple of assets like Cossa or Edvinsson or ASP or next year's Boston 1st. Zadina was once an untouchable.  We need to break out of this Scrubs 'n Scrubs approach.

34 minutes ago, Shinzaki said:

So if Ottawa was steadfast in wanting pick #9 and DeBrincat wanted a max extension...SY should have just rolled over?  Or if Toronto wanted Edvinsson, Kapser and a slew of picks...we should make the trade?

It's not that we should just make a trade for the sake of it. My initial ideal of offering both first round picks to get Debrincat was off-base and ridiculous. But so where the deals that said we should just offer up a 2nd and Zadina and somehow that would get it done. It's somewhere in the middle of that. The same thing goes for William Nylander, who is a superior player to Debrincat. We can't sell the entire farm to get Nylander. If we aren't on his list of teams he won't play for, the call should certainly be placed and if he's the guy Toronto is moving to get under the cap, I think an offer should be made as he fits both need and timeline.

We need goal scoring in the worst way possible. We have an up-and-coming defense that should be good enough to carry us into the playoffs and beyond. Outside of Raymond, who is already on the roster, and possibly Nate Danielson, who do we have in the pipeline that is any kind of serious scoring threat? Who is a guy that is going to be on this roster in the next 2-4 years that will be a 30+ goal scorer and 60+ point a season guy?

As @lordstanley said, we don't just pay Yzerman to find average NHL players who can score 15 goals, get you 20 assists, and sign them to 3x$3.5 type of deals. We want him to be prudent and smart about signing those types of players who we need to round out our roster's depth. But we also need him to be bold and smartly aggressive. We need him to make impact, franchise changing moves that will improve this team and accelerate our timeline to being a contender. In our case, we need those moves made to add scoring and goal totals to our roster. If we had gotten any amount of lottery luck and landed ourselves a Connor Bedard, Quinton Byfield, Jack Hughes type of player in the draft this conversation would be different. But we didn't, and alas here we are talking about making a bold trade for an Alex Debrincat or William Nylander type of player.

I don't want to mortgage the farm and future for one guy. I also don't want to make the playoffs just for the sake of it. Kenny did that and I hated it and wanted him fired for it. I wanted a complete tank job and rebuild after Kenny left and I got it. That said, I also don't want to be sitting her 2-3 years from now in year 7 of a rebuild having not made any significant progress to being a Cup-contending team, with an over 30 year old Dylan Larkin on the roster and trying to build around that. We pay Yzerman to be both smart and bold as needed. Adding a Nylander or Debrincat can both and accelerate the timeline of our rebuild.

Edited by Mr.TaterSalad
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Shinzaki said:

You build a winner through drafts + signings + trades. Can't just throw up one's hands and say that it's impossible to make a win-win trade. And if you can't make good value signings, why not? Bertuzzi at 1 x $5.5mm is a good value signing but I assume he wasn't interested in signing with the Wings like that as long as we're in purgatory. Make the playoffs and watch the number of players willing to consider the Wings as a destination increase. 

13 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

You build a winner through drafts + signings + trades. Can't just throw up one's hands and say that it's impossible to make a win-win trade. And if you can't make good value signings, why not? Bertuzzi at 1 x $5.5mm is a good value signing but I assume he wasn't interested in signing with the Wings like that as long as we're in purgatory. Make the playoffs and watch the number of players willing to consider the Wings as a destination increase. 

You can't just magically say..."do better" when you have no understanding of what doing better would actually cost to the extent that "doing better" is even possible

• Like 2