Summer 2023 Off-Season Thread

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/nhl/red-wings/2023/07/09/detroit-red-wings-trade-alex-debrincat-ottawa-senators-4-year-contract-extension/70385254007/

Yzerman sent Dominik Kubalik, prospect Donovan Sebrango, a conditional first-round pick and a fourth-round pick in 2024 to the Ottawa Senators. The Wings can choose between their own or Boston's first-round pick, which is from the Bertuzzi trade and top-10 protected.

DeBrincat's resume shows his scoring prowess: 41 goals each in 2018-19 and 2021-22; 32 goals in 50 games in 2020-21 (the pandemic-shortened season); at least 20 goals in five of six NHL seasons. He has 187 goals and 373 points in 450 games. He has 11 goals and 30 points in 23 career games against the Wings.

Edited by lordstanley

4 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

Per Buddha. sebrango, a 4th rounder, and either boston's first or our first, whichever is lower.

if the boston pick doesnt convey next year (because its top ten protected), the wings get to choose whether to send their own pick in 2024 or boston's in 2025.

Great work by Yzerman, love every part of this. I’m guessing DeBrincat wouldn’t sign any longer without it being $8 million+ and I’m fine with this resolution.  Outside of the first round pick, the Wings probably didn’t give up anything they had real future plans for.   I’m excited to see our roster in action next season.

You got to imagine we had some leverage here and Debrincat would not have taken this same deal with Ottawa.  That said, we deserve a break and I don't feel a bit guilty after all the bad luck we have had in the lottery.